News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Just a quick question, if anyone knows, were buses within Coventry originally branded as 'Travel West Midlands'? I was looking at the page on the main site for 4217 and it was originally in TWM livery when new, despite being new to Coventry garage.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

John

Quote from: StourValley98 on September 15, 2018, 10:38:36 AM
Just a quick question, if anyone knows, were buses within Coventry originally branded as 'Travel West Midlands'? I was looking at the page on the main site for 4217 and it was originally in TWM livery when new, despite being new to Coventry garage.

The Y reg Tridents were the last new buses to Coventry in TWM livery. Late 2002 early 2003 was when it was rebranded as Travel Coventry

DJ

Quote from: John on September 15, 2018, 11:11:39 AM
The Y reg Tridents were the last new buses to Coventry in TWM livery. Late 2002 early 2003 was when it was rebranded as Travel Coventry

Thanks for answering that quickly, was Coventry branded under WMPTE, WMT and then TWM the same as the rest of the region until 2002-ish, then?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

John

Quote from: StourValley98 on September 15, 2018, 12:18:40 PM
Thanks for answering that quickly, was Coventry branded under WMPTE, WMT and then TWM the same as the rest of the region until 2002-ish, then?

As far as I'm aware, yes

D10

Quote from: StourValley98 on September 15, 2018, 12:18:40 PM

Yes, but in the mid 90's when the fleet was branded according to garage they were branded "WM Buses Coventry" which made more sense to me as a local branding than some of the others such as WM Buses Lea Hall, and WM Buses Yardley Wood.

Tony

4204; 4209 both at PN 4213; 4214 both at MS all now withdrawn

JoNi

4380 still had Walsall adverts and  a huge pay and go £2.40 poster plastered over a downstairs window facing inwards!

Tony

Quote from: JoNi on September 18, 2018, 10:03:18 AM
4380 still had Walsall adverts and  a huge pay and go £2.40 poster plastered over a downstairs window facing inwards!

Walsall adverts?

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on September 18, 2018, 10:46:29 AM

Walsall adverts?

Sorry should have put it clearer Internal adverts/notices from previous life. Ever thought of putting heritage notices in heritage buses?

Sandy Lane

Oh Dear! Long queue of buses trying to get into the garage at 7pm tonight. Backed up through Pool Meadow, making exit onto Fairfax St difficult for other buses and also affected general traffic on Hales St. Was there a problem in the garage tonight?

JoNi

Quote from: Sandy Lane on September 20, 2018, 08:48:32 PM
Oh Dear! Long queue of buses trying to get into the garage at 7pm tonight. Backed up through Pool Meadow, making exit onto Fairfax St difficult for other buses and also affected general traffic on Hales St. Was there a problem in the garage tonight?
Wondered why 10 was going to Bell Green passing the Bus Station in Fairfax Street then realised that was only way out of the Bus Station because of the queue.

JoNi

Boarded 4220 on 21 in Bell Green Road after waiting for person with pushchair to alight and another to board only to find validator saying Vehicle in Motion please wait!

Coventry Transport Dude

The "MORRISSEY" song "PANIC" (ON THE STREETS OF LONDON) came to mind today, but the panic was today in Coventry and not in London, as there was absolute chaos and gridlock all over Coventry City Centre for a couple of hours this afternoon, with Buses coming from here, there and everywhere, in all directions and everyone of them must have been running really really late by the time they eventually got out of Town ? (Some even ended up running in the wrong direction, just to try and get out !lol).  Reason being for all this, was that hundreds (if not thousands ?) of Students had all started to arrive at Coventry University and were all turning up with their bags and cases, so as to check in to their City Centre accommodation.  At least 90% of them must have been being dropped off by their parents and so there were Cars parked everywhere, which included the whole length of the Taxi Rank in Hales Street and especially on both sides of the road in Tower Street, which really was the main cause of the whole fiasco, as it made the road very narrow and unfortunately for single file traffic only !  Buses and other traffic heading up Bishop Street towards it, just couldn't hardly move and if they did, it was at a snails pace ?lol.  With Bishop Street bumper to bumper with traffic, that then went all the back back down into The Burges, up and around into Trinity Street, under the Whittle Arches and down both Fairfax Street and up past White Street Coach Park !  Buses were then struggling to get either in or out of Pool Meadow and it seemed to get even worse afterwards, as Buses were told to avoid certain roads in Town and to just use the Ring Road instead to get to their intended stop in Pool Meadow or Trinity Street and to use it again when leaving Town ? (Corporation Street and Hales Street were also badly affected by it all to, as traffic coming down there had to try and cut through the middle of it all !).  The Ring Road itself then became full of bumper to bumper traffic, both coming down the slip road towards either Pool Meadow, or beyond that and on under the Whittle Arches !  Going up onto the top of the Ring Road was also just as bad and there were literally Buses everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.  What was so annoying about it all was, that there wasn't a single Copper or Traffic Warden around anywhere to help sort this mess out, not one at all and i just felt so sorry for all the West Midlands and Stagecoach Drivers etc...., who happened to be caught up in this complete mess !  All the Drivers could do today, was to either sit there shaking their head, blow their horn continuously, or to just grin and bare the whole thing ???lol.

paulb1973

Quote from: Coventry Transport Dude on September 22, 2018, 09:58:50 PM
The "MORRISSEY" song "PANIC ON THE STREETS OF LONDON" came to mind today, but the panic was today in Coventry and not in London, as there was absolute chaos and gridlock all over Coventry City Centre for a couple of hours this afternoon, with Buses coming from here, there and everywhere, in all directions and everyone of them must have been running really really late by the time they eventually got out of Town ? (Some even ended up running in the wrong direction, just to try and get out !lol).  Reason being for all this, was that hundreds (if not thousands ?) of Students had all started to arrive at Coventry University and were all turning up with their bags and cases, so as to check in to their City Centre accommodation.  At least 90% of them must have been being dropped off by their parents and so there were Cars parked everywhere, which included the whole length of the Taxi Rank in Hales Street and especially on both sides of the road in Tower Street, which really was the main cause of the whole fiasco, as it made the road very narrow and unfortunately for single file traffic only !  Buses and other traffic heading up Bishop Street towards it, just couldn't hardly move and if they did, it was at a snails pace ?lol.  With Bishop Street bumper to bumper with traffic, that then went all the back back down into The Burges, up and around into Trinity Street, under the Whittle Arches and down both Fairfax Street and up past White Street Coach Park !  Buses were then struggling to get either in or out of Pool Meadow and it seemed to get even worse afterwards, as Buses were told to avoid certain roads in Town and to just use the Ring Road instead to get to their intended stop in Pool Meadow or Trinity Street and to use it again when leaving Town ? (Corporation Street and Hales Street were also badly affected by it all to, as traffic coming down there had to try and cut through the middle of it all !).  The Ring Road itself then became full of bumper to bumper traffic, both coming down the slip road towards either Pool Meadow, or beyond that and on under the Whittle Arches !  Going up onto the top of the Ring Road was also just as bad and there were literally Buses everywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol.  What was so annoying about it all was, that there wasn't a single Copper or Traffic Warden around anywhere to help sort this mess out, not one at all and i just felt so sorry for all the West Midlands and Stagecoach Drivers etc...., who happened to be caught up in this complete mess !  All the Drivers could do today, was to either sit there shaking their head, blow their horn continuously, or to just grin and bare the whole thing ???lol.

Ha, yes it was totally chaotic in Coventry city-centre today! I saw No. 20's diverting up Hales Street and White Street. I wondered what was going on initially - but sussed it was 'parents drop the off-spring off in the car to start Uni' day.

Coventry Transport Dude

I've just found out Paul, that up to "30,000" Students were expected to arrive in Coventry today ! (No wonder the Town was so busy and gridlocked ???lol).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk