News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coventry Transport Dude

From what i've read elsewhere about that burnt out Bus (2151), it got too badly damaged and sadly is to be scrapped !  There are some photo's around of it on Facebook and they basically show that three quarters of the Bus (going from front to rear !), was burnt to a crisp !  I think its Engine was the only thing left on it that was any good and worth salvaging ?

Coventry Transport Dude

Was really nice to see that there's still a good handful of "Y" registered Dennis Tridents that were running around Town today and the ones i saw out on the road were:
4190 (Displayed: NOT IN SERVICE, as it had just finished its shift !)
4203 (21)
4204 (16)
4209 (6A)
4210 (4)
4212 (10)
4217 (16A)
4218 (16)
4219 (6)
4220 (19)
4221 (6A)
4223 (6)

I saw withdrawn 4207 standing out at the Swanswell end of Wheatley Street Garage yard, with withdrawn 4214 parked infront of it and then infront of 4214, was 4213, but i'm not too sure if that one is actually withdrawn from service or not ???  As i came back home from Town on 4217, i was sitting upstairs at the back and as we traveled along (at what seemed like a nice steady pace ?), i sat staring towards the front and it made me realize just how ridiculously quick time has gone by, as it only seems like yesterday when i was sat in the exact same spot on these "Y" reg Tridents on their first day in service and now 17 years later, they are just about ready to come off Coventry's Roads for the very last time !!!!  Compared to all the Metrobuses that were on the road at the time back in 2001, the Dennis Tridents when they first entered service, really stood out and looked very smart in their Red, White and Blue "TRAVEL WEST MIDLANDS" livery !!!!!  Some more of their soon to be replacements were out on the road in service today, in the form of: 4372 (4), 4373 (6A) and 4374 (10) and all seemed to run OK. (At one point late this afternoon, all three of them were parked together in a line in Pool Meadow !).  While traveling on them, i saw that their seat moquette seemed to vary in pattern from one to another and i noticed that to on 4370 and 4371 last Saturday, but both Buses were pretty presentable inside and gave quite a smooth, rattle free ride to !

Tony

Quote from: Coventry Transport Dude on September 04, 2018, 09:21:03 PM
Was really nice to see that there's still a good handful of "Y" registered Dennis Tridents that were running around Town today and the ones i saw out on the road were:
4190 (Displayed: NOT IN SERVICE, as it had just finished its shift !)
4203 (21)
4204 (16)
4209 (6A)
4210 (4)
4212 (10)
4217 (16A)
4218 (16)
4219 (6)
4220 (19)
4221 (6A)
4223 (6)

I saw withdrawn 4207 standing out at the Swanswell end of Wheatley Street Garage yard, with withdrawn 4214 parked infront of it and then infront of 4214, was 4213, but i'm not too sure if that one is actually withdrawn from service or not ???  As i came back home from Town on 4217, i was sitting upstairs at the back and as we traveled along (at what seemed like a nice steady pace ?), i sat staring towards the front and it made me realize just how ridiculously quick time has gone by, as it only seems like yesterday when i was sat in the exact same spot on these "Y" reg Tridents on their first day in service and now 17 years later, they are just about ready to come off Coventry's Roads for the very last time !!!!  Compared to all the Metrobuses that were on the road at the time back in 2001, the Dennis Tridents when they first entered service, really stood out and looked very smart in their Red, White and Blue "TRAVEL WEST MIDLANDS" livery !!!!!  Some more of their soon to be replacements were out on the road in service today, in the form of: 4372 (4), 4373 (6A) and 4374 (10) and all seemed to run OK. (At one point late this afternoon, all three of them were parked together in a line in Pool Meadow !).  While traveling on them, i saw that their seat moquette seemed to vary in pattern from one to another and i noticed that to on 4370 and 4371 last Saturday, but both Buses were pretty presentable inside and gave quite a smooth, rattle free ride to !

4214 is not withdrawn

Coventry Transport Dude

Oh, that's good news Tony regarding 4214 !!!! ("THANK YOU" for that and "SORRY" for my mistake there !).

JPC

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on September 05, 2018, 06:59:13 PM
Amendments on services 16 and 20E to replace igo services 26 and 30....

https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/coventry-service-changes-from-30th-september

Dorchester Way to be served again by NXC buses it seems (the iGo 26 ceases to be). And Lenton's Lane to get NX buses for the first time in a long while.

Kevin

Quote from: paulb1973 on September 05, 2018, 07:44:07 PM
Dorchester Way to be served again by NXC buses it seems (the iGo 26 ceases to be). And Lenton's Lane to get NX buses for the first time in a long while.

20C is interesting, a link to Walsgrave Tesco as well. Anyone know the last time Lenton's Lane was served by an end to end route? Every past variation I can think of has been a circular of some sort
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

paulb1973

Quote from: Kevin on September 06, 2018, 10:56:49 AM
20C is interesting, a link to Walsgrave Tesco as well. Anyone know the last time Lenton's Lane was served by an end to end route? Every past variation I can think of has been a circular of some sort

Its certainly been a long while since an end-to-end route ran along Lenton's Lane; we've had the 30, 37/47, was there a 31A/31C? - possibly a 16 service ran this way [I can never remember, have I missed out another defunct A & C circular service?].

I'm not sure of the exact route details of the 20C, but at a guess; Trinity Street, Ironmonger Row, Cross Cheaping, The Burges, Bishop Street, Tower Street, Foleshill Road, Longford Road, Windmill Road, Aldermans Green Road, Lenton's Lane, Shilton Lane, Deedmore Road, Henley Road, Woodway Lane, Hinckley Road, Parkway, Olivier Way (Walsgrave Tesco). Unless there's a deviation of some kind in Wood End?

Adam 404

Quote from: paulb1973 on September 06, 2018, 03:02:16 PM
Its certainly been a long while since an end-to-end route ran along Lenton's Lane; we've had the 30, 37/47, was there a 31A/31C? - possibly a 16 service ran this way [I can never remember, have I missed out another defunct A & C circular service?].

I'm not sure of the exact route details of the 20C, but at a guess; Trinity Street, Ironmonger Row, Cross Cheaping, The Burges, Bishop Street, Tower Street, Foleshill Road, Longford Road, Windmill Road, Aldermans Green Road, Lenton's Lane, Shilton Lane, Deedmore Road, Henley Road, Woodway Lane, Hinckley Road, Parkway, Olivier Way (Walsgrave Tesco). Unless there's a deviation of some kind in Wood End?
The 20C route will be as the 20 route along Foleshill Road. Then it will go via Oakmoor Road, Jacker's Road, Aldermans Green Road, Lenton's Lane, Shilton Lane, Deedmore Road, Henley Road, Woodway Lane, Hall Lane, Boswell Drive, Brade Drive, Hinckley Road, Parkway and Olivier Way. :)

paulb1973

Quote from: Adam 404 on September 06, 2018, 03:32:59 PM
The 20C route will be as the 20 route along Foleshill Road. Then it will go via Oakmoor Road, Jacker's Road, Aldermans Green Road, Lenton's Lane, Shilton Lane, Deedmore Road, Henley Road, Woodway Lane, Hall Lane, Boswell Drive, Brade Drive, Hinckley Road, Parkway and Olivier Way. :)

Not too far off! Makes sense to use Oakmoor Rd, Jackers Rd etc and the residents of Boswell/Brade Drive get the use of the NXC 20C and the Diamond service 1.

JPC

I suppose E was an incorrect suffix, but can't say B is any better... it looks like '208'. Diverting alternate Bedworths via Oban Rd and Wilsons Lane not considered?
Lentons Lane users might groan again about losing the link to Bell Green shops, this happened when the service 30A/C link was a convoluted ½-hour journey.
Will agree adding another service to Boswell and Brade Drive is a good idea.
Will not expect 16/16A to serve Dorchester Way as the 26 hasn't served it for some time, TFWM probably considers X31 as enough provision.
Both "new" routes seem to have long waits at the terminus for most of the day, I imagine these changes have been rushed out and are under temporary evaluation.

JoNi

There was nothing wrong with 20/30/40/50 numbering system brought in during the days of WMPTE when suffix letters were done away with in Coventry.
There was a local custom when buses interworked between the 20 and 40 for drivers to change handworked side and rear blinds at outer termini.
The 31 to Lentons Lane and 41 to Victoria Farm used to operate as a half hourly service to Aldermans Green area via Bell Green providing useful relief when gaps occurred on 21.
The Foleshill Road is classic case of overbussing with two operators operating uncoordinated services . The 20 ought to be double deck as overcrowding occurs in the peak when gaps occur. What about the 20E and its low bridge, well the 48 is completely single deck and could go that way.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on September 06, 2018, 11:21:14 PM
I suppose E was an incorrect suffix, but can't say B is any better... it looks like '208'. Diverting alternate Bedworths via Oban Rd and Wilsons Lane not considered?
Lentons Lane users might groan again about losing the link to Bell Green shops, this happened when the service 30A/C link was a convoluted ½-hour journey.
Will agree adding another service to Boswell and Brade Drive is a good idea.
Will not expect 16/16A to serve Dorchester Way as the 26 hasn't served it for some time, TFWM probably considers X31 as enough provision.
Both "new" routes seem to have long waits at the terminus for most of the day, I imagine these changes have been rushed out and are under temporary evaluation.

I suppose the good residents of Lenton's Lane are lucky to get a bus a service at all! They'll have to put up with NXC's offering. I did see Dorchester Way mentioned on the NXC website - but that could mean using Clifford Bridge Rd and just stopping near Dorchester Way instead. If they do use that road - it means buses having to face a very awkward right turn onto Clifford Bridge Road on outbound journeys again.

Has there ever been a 'B' suffix service in Coventry - I can't actually think of one in recent times. As you say B looks like an 8. Would it not be possible for this service to run up and down Oban Road avoiding the low bridge - so as to allow double-deck working? There's a turn-around point there.

Beano2211

Quote from: paulb1973 on September 07, 2018, 05:56:42 PM
I suppose the good residents of Lenton's Lane are lucky to get a bus a service at all! They'll have to put up with NXC's offering. I did see Dorchester Way mentioned on the NXC website - but that could mean using Clifford Bridge Rd and just stopping near Dorchester Way instead. If they do use that road - it means buses having to face a very awkward right turn onto Clifford Bridge Road on outbound journeys again.

Has there ever been a 'B' suffix service in Coventry - I can't actually think of one in recent times. As you say B looks like an 8. Would it not be possible for this service to run up and down Oban Road avoiding the low bridge - so as to allow double-deck working? There's a turn-around point there.

It used turn round at Oban Road when double decks were used on 20's, it changed when Primelines were introduced.

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on September 07, 2018, 05:56:42 PM

Ah so it does sound like it will serve Dorchester Way, presumably under NX's own steam, still such a horrible route for locals wanting to travel to/from the City Centre.
I imagine Dorchester Way will still desire to have something more useful, think a few years back there was a plan, which never came to fruition, to add Dorchester Way to service 4 or operate a spur via Dorchester Way to terminate at Clifford Bridge Rd Tesco (which would avoid having to perform that awkward right turn), some of those bus stops on Dorchester Way even have [or did have] extra long carriageway markings in situ - i.e enough space for a Bendibus.  I suppose it boils down to whether the hospital link can cope with being demoted to a half-hourly spur.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk