News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Electric Buses

Started by Tony, February 01, 2020, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wba_lad

Quote from: Squiz1971 on November 30, 2023, 03:47:51 PMI believe they plug in like an electric car/van does. Pantographs were used on trolley buses in the day and now on the trams otherwise there would be streets of overhead lines to accommodate the new electrics,
No because the buses at the airport are pantograph chargerd and also plug in and Perry Barr has the things above to allow charging I believe Tony will know 

Stu

Quote from: Wba_lad on November 30, 2023, 03:57:42 PMNo because the buses at the airport are pantograph chargerd and also plug in and Perry Barr has the things above to allow charging I believe Tony will know
If you look at the video I posted in my previous reply, that will answer your question.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Wba_lad on November 30, 2023, 03:57:42 PMNo because the buses at the airport are pantograph chargerd and also plug in and Perry Barr has the things above to allow charging I believe Tony will know
Perry Barr doesn't have anything above for charging. They will be exactly the same as the Coventry ones

Wba_lad

Quote from: Tony on November 30, 2023, 04:13:31 PMPerry Barr doesn't have anything above for charging. They will be exactly the same as the Coventry ones
Oh okay thankyou tony, I was told that the things on wire at Perry Barr is for overhead charging clearly not correct sorry

karl724223

Quote from: Wba_lad on November 30, 2023, 04:16:19 PMOh okay thankyou tony, I was told that the things on wire at Perry Barr is for overhead charging clearly not correct sorry
Drivers get a extension lead when they book on to plug into lampposts at the terminus 😎

frostjay974

Quote from: Wba_lad on November 30, 2023, 03:26:24 PMDo the electrics have pantographs to be charged or will charging facilities be fitted

I think it's going to be charging points as all the electrical work has been fitted underground

frostjay974

Quote from: Tony on November 27, 2023, 06:06:46 PMExactly the same reason all the others in the fleet do. They're registered by BYD. Apart from Wrights most buses are registered in the area they are built, or where the head office is.
Off topic question but were the scania omnilinks built in Poland?

mesub

Quote from: frostjay974 on November 30, 2023, 05:33:22 PMOff topic question but were the scania omnilinks built in Poland?

Isn't that better to ask in another thread?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

jasmine

Why are 3 buses given the Z prefix for their fleet number and not E like the rest of the e400EV's?

JosephR

Quote from: jasmine on January 23, 2024, 11:33:56 PMWhy are 3 buses given the Z prefix for their fleet number and not E like the rest of the e400EV's?
These are a small batch of 'spare buses' (Z). these are implemented the place of a (E) EV while it's taken out of service. Pretty much back up, not meant to be a long term, Or part of any garage in particular.

Squiz1971

Quote from: jasmine on January 23, 2024, 11:33:56 PMWhy are 3 buses given the Z prefix for their fleet number and not E like the rest of the e400EV's?
These are Zenobes fleet as spares I believe there are 8 numbered Z4001-8, to be used when needed to replace I believe some of the earlier Electrics from the first batch

Celestial Toymaker

Quote from: Tony on November 30, 2023, 04:13:31 PMPerry Barr doesn't have anything above for charging. They will be exactly the same as the Coventry ones
I have noticed lately (on social media)  a lot of operators are having trouble with Electric Buses catching fire, in fact it appears one London Operator / Garage have withdrawn all Electric Buses for the immediate future replacing them with Diesel Buses with immediate effect, there is also another operator that i believe only had 28 so far but these are being returned for conversion to Diesel ??

my question PLEASE, is are NXWM Electrics likely to suffer the same fate or are NXWM Electrics safe from this
3000 F300 XOF

DJ on smoothmixfm.co.uk

Stu

Quote from: Celestial Toymaker on January 25, 2024, 07:33:18 PMI have noticed lately (on social media)  a lot of operators are having trouble with Electric Buses catching fire, in fact it appears one London Operator / Garage have withdrawn all Electric Buses for the immediate future replacing them with Diesel Buses with immediate effect, there is also another operator that i believe only had 28 so far but these are being returned for conversion to Diesel ??

my question PLEASE, is are NXWM Electrics likely to suffer the same fate or are NXWM Electrics safe from this

All I will say is to be wary of "anti-electric vehicle" propaganda.

Especially if it is being circulated on social media.

Yes, I am aware of certain stories about electric bus fires and admittedly I've not looked too closely into them, but equally as far as I am aware, it has never been made clear if such vehicles have 'accidentally' caught fire or been subject to arson attacks.
My locals:

Stu

Or put it in another way, NX have had far more fires in the last three years involving diesel vehicles, than electric ones.

My locals:

Quote from: Stu on January 25, 2024, 08:46:33 PMOr put it in another way, NX have had far more fires in the last three years involving diesel vehicles, than electric ones.

Most of them have been arson haven't they? 6899, 7508, 4614 etc.
The diesel vehicles make up a higher percentage of the fleet as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk