News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Ronnoc on Yesterday at 07:21:53 PMI pretty much agree with everything apart from this bit. Enhancing active travel does play a big part in reducing congestion if done correctly. A lot of car journeys that people take can usually be done via means of walking or cycling. The road system here is extremely hostile to cycling, we don't have to look very far to see the benefits of good cycling infrastructure (Paris, London, Netherlands). Bus lanes and cycle lanes please.
I'm not averse to 'active travel', I just said there was 'too much focus', that's all.

The WMCA and local councils have been spending millions of pounds on building cycle lanes/routes, which is all very well and good, but from my own observations, I rarely seem to see any cyclists using them.

Maybe they are being built on the wrong roads, because I do see plenty of cyclists using other roads that I travel along, which don't have cycle lanes.

I would prefer that more money and effort was spent on bus lanes and bus priority measures, that's all.
Quote from: Stu on Yesterday at 07:02:17 PMThere's too much focus (and money being spent) on 'active travel' and cycle lanes; 

I pretty much agree with everything apart from this bit. Enhancing active travel does play a big part in reducing congestion if done correctly. A lot of car journeys that people take can usually be done via means of walking or cycling. The road system here is extremely hostile to cycling, we don't have to look very far to see the benefits of good cycling infrastructure (Paris, London, Netherlands). Bus lanes and cycle lanes please.
Quote from: Ronnoc on Yesterday at 04:17:38 PMFranchising is a very very small piece of the puzzle in terms of transport improvements.
As I have said many times before, franchising won't magically make bus services punctual and reliable overnight, you'll still have the same issues. What needs to be looked at is the 'infrastructure'. More bus lanes, and more bus priority measures, such as 'smart' traffic light signals that alter traffic flows to allow buses through quicker.

There's too much focus (and money being spent) on 'active travel' and cycle lanes; bus lanes would be far more useful and used by far more people.

Birmingham City Council missed a trick years ago by not investing in park-and-ride sites dotted around the middle ring road, ahead of demolishing city centre car parks. We now have the ridiculous situation where the two remaining multi-storey car parks at the Bullring and Moor Street are regularly full on Saturdays, and because they are located on a main entry and exit point for buses to/from Moor Street Queensway, the resulting congestion from drivers queuing to get into these car parks causes the buses to also get stuck and delayed.

Sort out the infrastructure and get to grips with congestion and roadworks programme scheduling, and the privately-operated bus services will become more reliable and punctual without the need for 'taking back control'.
National Express West Midlands / Re: Training Bus Sightings
Last post by ellspurs - Yesterday at 06:51:55 PM
I saw a training bus (couldn't see the number) on the roundabout above the m42 at junction 9 (the Kingsbury turnoff) yesterday.
6918 not tracking on the 2.
The upstairs CCTV screen is broken and not working, the USB ports on the top deck front row on the drivers side have a issue where it looks like they have been ripped out the inside of them is missing. 
4131 passing Cradley Heath town
6172 has a giant national express logo on the front without the West Midlands text

@frostjay974 - I assume you mean 6712? There is no 6172, Winston
Other Operators / Re: Chaserider
Last post by CKD - Yesterday at 04:33:17 PM
Quote from: ntw456 on May 15, 2024, 11:30:29 PMGuessing this was the one that collided with the pub in Burntwood?
It still amazes me how you can hit a stationery object when you're completely fit to drive 
Excellent public transport is the solution, the West Midlands has some of the highest car usage of any urban area in the UK and Europe. This requires radical investment, and with radical investment there will be some form of disruption. Franchising is a very very small piece of the puzzle in terms of transport improvements.
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk