News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Diversions

Started by JB93, April 21, 2013, 01:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB93

Was sat on a 97 being diverted down the 8 route to Small Heath Expressway due to the Blues match earlier and it got me thinking this might be one of those fun little topics that get everyone talking. So basically, the strangest or longest etc. diversion you've been taken on on a bus.
One I can remember is the 97 diversion not long ago due to roadworks on the Meadway, that went from the McDonalds on the Meadway all the way through Lea Hall, down Church Lane in Stechford, to Glebe Farm and down Kitts Green Road.

nitromatt1

One morning last year, the section of the A456 dual carriageway between Hayley Green and Hagley was CLOSED, meaning mine and all other school buses to Hagley were sent on such a long diversion that I'm not entirely sure where we went! I know we were in Lye at one point. The diversion (which included a 93-point turn in some side street) added over 30 minutes to the journey

Stu

I think I recounted this story elsewhere before, but here goes again.

A few years ago I was on a 120 from town heading home to Langley, there had been a traffic fatality by the Plough & Harrow and the Hagley Road had been closed, and the police directed the traffic onto Highfield Road. As the driver was clearly unfamiliar with the side roads and the one-way system in Edgbaston, he got lost and ended up in Harborne! Where a passing 448 driver had to stop and give him directions; we ended up going along Harborne high street, then up Lordswood Road, back onto the Hagley Road, before turning onto Sandon Road and back on route.

The best diversions are the unexpected ones!  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

Already mentioned this but I thought it was weird at the time

This last few weeks of an evening, the outer circle was being diverted all the way through Hamstead and rocky lane just because the roundabout at Perry Barr was closed, was fun to see Presidents coming past
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

JB93

They all sound a lot longer than the one I said :P

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on April 21, 2013, 06:01:38 PM
Already mentioned this but I thought it was weird at the time

This last few weeks of an evening, the outer circle was being diverted all the way through Hamstead and rocky lane just because the roundabout at Perry Barr was closed, was fun to see Presidents coming past

It's being diverted via Salford Circus while the island in Erdington is being resurfaced also!
http://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/temporary-diversions/erdington-six-ways-island
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JB93

Just remembered more! All the buses along Lode Lane were being diverted up the side streets into Olton and down past the station and everything and then had to find another side street to get back down to Hobs Moat Road.
And while the Meadway resurfacing was happening that was mentioned before, I saw an in-service 71 as far down as Stechford Retail Park on a diversion! Assuming it was going to turn left and follow the 11 through Stechford and then go all the way back down the Meadway from Stechford Police Station to the McDonalds to get onto Garretts Green Lane. I guess that driver must have been lost too as there are much quicker ways.

Gareth

In about 1989/1990 the bottom end of Alum Rock Road was closed for resurfacing. The 14, 26 and 55 were diverted Washwood Heath Road, and along Wright Road to come out on Alum Rock Road. Not really a suitable diversion. Wright Road can be quite tight!

Also, a few years later there was a very unsafe building on Alum Rock Road that was in danger of collapse. Before official diversions onto Washwood Heath Road came in, all traffic already on Alum Rock Road were diverted up my road at the time, Reginald Road, up to St Saviours Road and down Ralph Road. Don't know how they managed it, and luckily it was before they installed the speed bumps! Was fun seeing Metrobuses and Lynxes passing my front room window on a narrow side road!

Mike K

Diversions in place around Harborne High St this morning due to a shop fire. High St is closed so all services are using Metchley Lane and Harborne Park Road. Interesting diversions earlier in the morning though, with services initially using Metchley Lane, and non bus route roads Abbey Road and St Mary's Road ex city. However, due to parked cars and the number of cars diverted this way towards city, 4201 and another Trident on the 24 were both stuck on St Mary's Road.

All services seem badly disrupted with 5409, 5509, 5404 and another Hybrid all following each other in convoy on the 22/23 down Metchley Lane from city.   

wilmotm (Matt Wilmot)

Quote from: Mike K on May 02, 2013, 10:04:30 AM
Diversions in place around Harborne High St this morning due to a shop fire. High St is closed so all services are using Metchley Lane and Harborne Park Road. Interesting diversions earlier in the morning though, with services initially using Metchley Lane, and non bus route roads Abbey Road and St Mary's Road ex city. However, due to parked cars and the number of cars diverted this way towards city, 4201 and another Trident on the 24 were both stuck on St Mary's Road.

All services seem badly disrupted with 5409, 5509, 5404 and another Hybrid all following each other in convoy on the 22/23 down Metchley Lane from city.

And the chaos still continues, just used the 22 out of city and Colmore Row was crazy, 22,23 and 24's all coming in at once with various ones trying to head out Not in Service to resume the running board further along and what with the cleaning team currently based down there holding it all up as well, one 24 Trident driver got into a right state hurrying passengers off and then turning them away

nitromatt1

Every night this week up to and including Saturday part of Great Charles Street Queensway is closed for resurfacing meaning all services using it (9, 141, 22/23/24, etc...) are being diverted down a ridiculous series of side roads taking about 3 minutes. Most of these narrow side roads would otherwise never see a bus service! Normal way out of Birmingham though

Kevin

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 18, 2013, 10:54:33 AM
Every night this week up to and including Saturday part of Great Charles Street Queensway is closed for resurfacing meaning all services using it (9, 141, 22/23/24, etc...) are being diverted down a ridiculous series of side roads taking about 3 minutes. Most of these narrow side roads would otherwise never see a bus service! Normal way out of Birmingham though

Very tempting to travel on an evening just to experience it
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

nitromatt1

Due to part of the Handsworth New Road/Boulton Road being closed for a few days, the Outer Circle is being diverted down Nineveh Road following the 101 route through Winson Green then left along Victoria Road to return on route. Took me by surprise turning the corner out of Park Road and seeing 4 11C's in a row stuck in traffic on Nineveh Road!

ilovetea4370

I remember reading on the NXWM website that during the snow earlier this year, the 11s were being diverted along Pershore road past the Cricket ground and up Salisbury Road so they didn't have to come up the steep hill by Pineapple Bridge  ??? Never saw it for myself though but that's what the website said...

Tony

97 has just finally reverted to Garrison Lane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk