News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Centrebus

Started by Bruce_LOA400X, September 30, 2012, 11:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on May 22, 2023, 10:07:01 PMAnother rare one today.
931 Plaxton decker went onto the 22 today.
The first time it has operated the route since Centrebus took it over.
Isn't this the oldest (Euro 6) bus in Leicester? Or have Arriva still got older Wrights?
Yes 931 hasn't been retrofitted to Euro 6 standards, believe it to be Euro 4

925 is currently being repainted for service at Grantham which should free up 913 to join 912 at Leicester.

Arriva's oldest buses in Leicester are currently the 06/56 plated geminis which should depart later this year. 🤞

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: SSmith2009 on May 22, 2023, 10:32:18 PMYes 931 hasn't been retrofitted to Euro 6 standards, believe it to be Euro 4

925 is currently being repainted for service at Grantham which should free up 913 to join 912 at Leicester.

Arriva's oldest buses in Leicester are currently the 06/56 plated geminis which should depart later this year. 🤞

I believe the Centrebus one is 04! (Before replacement number plate). Other than the few Roberts that occasionally appear on P&R.. definitely the oldest!

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: Tony on May 22, 2023, 10:21:54 PMIt's not Euro 6 according to DVSA
Interesting.. I believe Centrebus signed up to Leicester buses meaning all service vehicles need to be Euro 6!
Maybe they're allowed to run a certain number of days not Euro 6?

mikestone

I would suggest a registration over-rules whatever has or has not been agreed with a local authority, and it is up to the local authority to take whatever measures to stop an operator taking the p**s?

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on May 22, 2023, 10:44:15 PMInteresting.. I believe Centrebus signed up to Leicester buses meaning all service vehicles need to be Euro 6!
Maybe they're allowed to run a certain number of days not Euro 6?
the CAZ (clean air zone) was scrapped but as part of the Leicester buses partnership, LCC and bus operators agreed that services will use buses that have Euro6 standards.

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: SSmith2009 on May 23, 2023, 05:51:25 PMthe CAZ (clean air zone) was scrapped but as part of the Leicester buses partnership, LCC and bus operators agreed that services will use buses that have Euro6 standards.
Indeed that's what I'm saying. They've agreed to use Euro 6. That's why I expected this old bus to have been converted. I know Arriva converted their old Gemini's.
But as that's not the case I'm surprised the council allowed Centrebus to get away with it.

Glenfieldmathk1

Once again today the red double decker went on the 22's. Only the rear display was showing a working 22. Side not on and front showing a load of o's! Driver was nice. Explained he didn't have a clue what was going on with it. Said he thinks they'll be replacing it soon? Could it be when 913 arrives this one is sent packing?
So far every driver I've seen on 22/22A have been great. Same with the 40. 
I attempted to board it but unfortunately tap on tap off isn't set up on the ticket machine, (probably as they literally only normally use this bus for uni / works / 1005) and as I'd already been on 13 to the city, and 6 to Thurmaston to do some shopping and then walked to Blount road to try an electric first bus on 21's, I didn't wish to pay the £2.00 single fare when my card was already on the £5.30 flexi cap. I guess I could of paid and then phoned up Centrebus but I'm not going to cause issue.

Magikrabby

I am quite familiar with 931, as well as 909 and 910 since I used to catch at least one of them each day on the university shuttle.

The front display of 931 seems to only show the first first several columns of pixels, and it duplicates it 7 times across the whole screen. Today it was showing lots of v's, from "via" in "Evington, via Spencefield Lane", since the v is the only part that falls into the first several columns. This has been broken since 31 March - I caught it in the morning to go to university and the screen was fine, and when I saw it later that evening it amusingly had 7 university logos on it! At first I thought it was a joke new display for the service since the area that is repeated lines up perfectly with the university logo. When it went out of service I realised it was probably a fault and it was just a coincidence, since it said "NoNoNoNoNoNoNo" instead of the usual "Not in Service". As far as I know it hasn't been back to normal since. I am not sure what the cause could be, but I am guessing it is a dodgy connection somewhere which would explain why the side display also stopped working.

I would be surprised if it was being replaced in the near future since Centrebus applied an advert to the rear a couple of weeks ago after being empty for the past 2.5 years - surely if they were planning on getting rid of it they wouldn't have bothered. It also will likely continue to be useful for contracts which have less strict requirements of which busses can be used, even if it isn't allowed on the 22 due to emissions.

As for the bus itself, I believe it was upgraded to Euro 5 when it was with Metroline in London. It may have been upgraded to Euro 6 whilst it was with Centrebus, but I am not sure. Other than that, it is actually quite a nice one considering it's 19 years old - it is my personal favourite of the deckers used for the university shuttle! It is the quietest of the bunch (especially on the top deck), the seats are way more comfortable with more padding than the others, and the seats all have plenty of leg room (which is a struggle for me on some busses, notably the single decker OmniCities 728 and 729).  It does look dated, but so do the OmniCities now, and I think it is almost old enough to be cool again. I would also argue that comfort is better than looks of a bus.

Glenfieldmathk1

913 is now in Leicester. But strangely this and 912 have had very little use past few days? My guess is they could be being fitted with "Tap Off" ticketers.

Glenfieldmathk1

Strange move, or not?
Centrebus are launching a 128 next week. It's essentially the 2 between Barrow and Leicester (just via Abbey Lane).
Elsewhere from 16th July - Vectare have registered changes and are launching a 2N between Leicester and Loughborough..
Seems strange, even Leicester city council wanted the route axing as too duplicated with Arriva / First but now look.. 2 operators resuming it? Good move? Or not?
I don't really know what to think

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on June 22, 2023, 10:07:24 PMStrange move, or not?
Centrebus are launching a 128 next week. It's essentially the 2 between Barrow and Leicester (just via Abbey Lane).
Elsewhere from 16th July - Vectare have registered changes and are launching a 2N between Leicester and Loughborough..
Seems strange, even Leicester city council wanted the route axing as too duplicated with Arriva / First but now look.. 2 operators resuming it? Good move? Or not?
I don't really know what to think
I understand that the Centrebus 128 is to be worked with the same bus that works the peak time the 866 (Loughborough to Sutton Bonington) 

Have Vectare released a timetable for the 2X/2N?

As the routes will only use the A6/Abbey Lane within the Leicester City area I doubt the City Council would be to bothered about it.

Glenfieldmathk1

Thursday 6th July.. the first day since Centrebus took over 22 that all 4 vehicles are double deckers. Hopefully more days like this to come.
912 back out after a while off road.

SSmith09

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on July 06, 2023, 09:08:57 AMThursday 6th July.. the first day since Centrebus took over 22 that all 4 vehicles are double deckers. Hopefully more days like this to come.
578 has also returned to service too after nearly 2 months off 

Centrebus have sent some larger single deckers down to Luton this week on loan for graduation services so probably why the 22 has had all 4 deckers in use

LazyGuy222

Quote from: Glenfieldmathk1 on July 06, 2023, 09:08:57 AMThursday 6th July.. the first day since Centrebus took over 22 that all 4 vehicles are double deckers. Hopefully more days like this to come.
912 was replaced by 783 at 15:30, so it probably broke down again.
I had 913 home earlier and it was pretty much full, so it's very clear that the route still needs doubles.

Glenfieldmathk1

Quote from: SSmith2009 on July 06, 2023, 07:00:42 PM578 has also returned to service too after nearly 2 months off

Centrebus have sent some larger single deckers down to Luton this week on loan for graduation services so probably why the 22 has had all 4 deckers in use
Equally I was on the 162, and the solo 323 (I think), was beeping and sounding awful.. driver called control who must of told him to keep driving! 
Makes you think about their quality control!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk