News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Splityourticket.co.uk

Started by Jay71, April 14, 2024, 09:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay71

Be careful with this website. They don't always let you know about the cheapest tickets available 

Tony

Quote from: Jay71 on April 14, 2024, 09:45:39 AMBe careful with this website. They don't always let you know about the cheapest tickets available
Do you have an example?

Jay71

Quote from: Tony on April 14, 2024, 10:01:30 AMDo you have an example?
Yes! Looked up some tickets last night for B'ham to Cambridge for mid June.  Discounted with a certain type of railcard.  Came up at about £49 for a return.  Looked at National Rail website & you can book advance tickets for £24

cardew

Quote from: Jay71 on April 14, 2024, 10:52:12 AMYes! Looked up some tickets last night for B'ham to Cambridge for mid June.  Discounted with a certain type of railcard.  Came up at about £49 for a return.  Looked at National Rail website & you can book advance tickets for £24
I've sometimes found that when you click the link from the National Rail website to the website of the train operating company, the ticket they suggest is not actually available to buy!

I always check one of the split ticketing sites that seem to use the same algorithm (one of trainsplit, splityourticket etc.), then trainpal which uses a different algorithm and finally the train company's own ticket site. 

Of course booking fees and share-of-saving costs from split ticket sites also have to be taken into account.

Jay71

Quote from: cardew on April 14, 2024, 11:00:35 AMI've sometimes found that when you click the link from the National Rail website to the website of the train operating company, the ticket they suggest is not actually available to buy!

I always check one of the split ticketing sites that seem to use the same algorithm (one of trainsplit, splityourticket etc.), then trainpal which uses a different algorithm and finally the train company's own ticket site.

Of course booking fees and share-of-saving costs from split ticket sites also have to be taken into account.

Normally I will find a fare on SYT. Then book it on TrainPal. Then you avoid the charge which SYP like to add

Stu

Quote from: Jay71 on April 14, 2024, 11:21:23 AMNormally I will find a fare on SYT. Then book it on TrainPal. Then you avoid the charge which SYP like to add
I used SplitMyFare.co.uk last year, which works the same way. The 'charge' is a share of the saving made, up to 15%.

That's how these sites make money, so I have no objections to paying this, especially where the saving from buying split tickets is quite significant.

For example, if I wanted to go back to Penzance again next weekend, booking a 'normal' return journey would cost me £199.10.

Buying split tickets for the same journey reduces the cost to £126.50, a whopping £72.60 saving.

SplitMyFare then takes a 15% cut of that saving, which works out to £10.89. Total ticket price comes to £137.39. (I checked SplitYourTicket and that gave exactly the same result).

Now, if I look up the same journey on TrainPal, even with 'split tickets', the cost comes to £143.80, plus a £1.99 'split ticket fee'. So total cost of £145.79.

Looking closer at the details, TrainPal is not even splitting the tickets the same way as SplitYourTicket and SplitMyFare do, hence why the savings don't add up.

Of course, I could save the £10.89 'share' if I took the individual ticket details and then booked those journeys separately on either the CrossCountry or GWR websites.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Jay71

Quote from: Stu on April 21, 2024, 04:30:49 PMI used SplitMyFare.co.uk last year, which works the same way. The 'charge' is a share of the saving made, up to 15%.

That's how these sites make money, so I have no objections to paying this, especially where the saving from buying split tickets is quite significant.

For example, if I wanted to go back to Penzance again next weekend, booking a 'normal' return journey would cost me £199.10.

Buying split tickets for the same journey reduces the cost to £126.50, a whopping £72.60 saving.

SplitMyFare then takes a 15% cut of that saving, which works out to £10.89. Total ticket price comes to £137.39. (I checked SplitYourTicket and that gave exactly the same result).

Now, if I look up the same journey on TrainPal, even with 'split tickets', the cost comes to £143.80, plus a £1.99 'split ticket fee'. So total cost of £145.79.

Looking closer at the details, TrainPal is not even splitting the tickets the same way as SplitYourTicket and SplitMyFare do, hence why the savings don't add up.

Of course, I could save the £10.89 'share' if I took the individual ticket details and then booked those journeys separately on either the CrossCountry or GWR websites.

I've just booked a tickets from Sheffield to B'ham.  Paid £3.10 from Sheff-Derby £5.20 Derby to B'ham. Saved £15. Got the prices off SYT & booked each ticket individually on Trainpal

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk