News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Strike Action

Started by monkeyjoe, December 14, 2022, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy41

Quote from: j789 on March 20, 2023, 08:54:54 PMTrue but the point of the union is as a 'collective' - everyone seen as one whole, not individuals. Local Unite drivers from other companies undermining their fellow members at NX affects that mentality and ultimately severely weakens the union.

I cannot see Unite reps at other companies encouraging their drivers to cover routes affected by strikes. Strikes are meant to disrupt, the union will look incredibly weak if it's own members are minimising that disruption!
Striking in sympathy isn't legal anymore so they would be powerless until they had created a dispute of their own and balloted successfully. The ill feeling between NX drivers and management comes down to far more than pay. Other companies have better relationships with their Unite members and reps and reps don't tend to concern themselves too much with other peoples' disputes as to do so removes leverage for them when they need it. 

j789

Quote from: andy41 on March 20, 2023, 09:12:48 PMStriking in sympathy isn't legal anymore so they would be powerless until they had created a dispute of their own and balloted successfully. The ill feeling between NX drivers and management comes down to far more than pay. Other companies have better relationships with their Unite members and reps and reps don't tend to concern themselves too much with other peoples' disputes as to do so removes leverage for them when they need it.
The difference here though is that those union drivers at other companies would be being asked to drive routes not on their normal rota. Now this is something the union reps at those companies would be involved with as no company could force their drivers on to new rotas without the necessary consultation process.

I obviously agree with the points about that these drivers couldn't refuse to work their own allocated shifts in support of NX drivers, but they certainly could refuse to drive on new routes covering for those striking NX drivers as, if their companies have union representation, then these new routes couldn't be foisted on drivers. There is no way any decent union rep in another local company would go against other union action in their locality. How can they justify union values if they don't support their union's actions?

Wumpty

Quote from: karl724223 on March 20, 2023, 03:54:31 PMA load of crap you posted about pensnett  I was there that wasn't what was said
I was at LCP House in TESG meetings most of yesterday and was party to the conversations and phone calls from neighbouring businesses who'd complained about the footpath obstructions. Strangely, some of the delegates, including myself, had sympathised with the the strikers' cause though understood the all round frustrations.

The only difference between the situation at PN and WA is that Pensnett Trading Estate is essentially private property and police have got limited powers to disperse anyone obstructing any footpaths (it borders on civil trespass unless anyone deliberately obstructs another from going about their lawful business, then it becomes aggravated trespass and does permit police intervention), unlike at WA where the footpath is on the public highway and the police will have greater powers.

Still, one's interpretations are dependant upon which side of the picket you sit.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

BBS

QuoteI was at LCP House in TESG meetings most of yesterday and was party to the conversations and phone calls from neighbouring businesses who'd complained about the footpath obstructions. Strangely, some of the delegates, including myself, had sympathised with the the strikers' cause though understood the all round frustrations.

The only difference between the situation at PN and WA is that Pensnett Trading Estate is essentially private property and police have got limited powers to disperse anyone obstructing any footpaths (it borders on civil trespass unless anyone deliberately obstructs another from going about their lawful business, then it becomes aggravated trespass and does permit police intervention), unlike at WA where the footpath is on the public highway and the police will have greater powers.

Still, one's interpretations are dependant upon which side of the picket you sit.
AG is probably worst , as there's literally houses next to it
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Wumpty

Quote from: BBS on March 21, 2023, 07:13:24 AMAG is probably worst , as there's literally houses next to it
Each garage has its logistical challenges at the best of times, none moreso where NX staff have a right to picket. In fairness to PN, where the picket line is, is probably the safest for them (and more visible). The numbers on the picket line are a great representation on the feeling of the staff.

I'm not criticising anyone's right to picket or stand on a footpath, or saying there's right or wrong, but it just needs some common sense all round. 
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Ginger66

Quote from: metrocity on March 20, 2023, 11:27:19 AMSame applies to the Midlands !
So if the accounts haven't been filed to company house for Arriva Midlands; Arriva North West and Arriva Kent it's got to be looking grime for Arriva group and we know these are not the only operators leaking money left, right and centre.  Surely the regional operator can justify low pay rises but 'Unites point of view' is the overall group made money and therefore you should pay staff a decent payrise.

We know from Diamond Midlands there routes are struggling to make profits and this will be the same for West Midlands Travel Ltd (NXWM) surely pay rises have to be justified and to a reasonable percentage, that doesn't involve the operator put up fares to help pay for it as this could lead to more people using car which then leads to routes cut and job losses.

PB50

Looking on National Express site this morning the 59 service from Wolverhampton to Ashmore Park is running today. 

BBS

QuoteLooking on National Express site this morning the 59 service from Wolverhampton to Ashmore Park is running today.
Along with AG operating the 4 as usual today 

Coventrybususer95

I guess anything higher then 15% will mean a fare increase and an unhappy mr street who said fares are frozon untill 2025*

*If i remember rightly
All views are my own and does not represent the views of any company/ business that i maybe be working with

Solo1

Wonder if they would accept 15% 

Rachvince53

Quote from: PB50 on March 21, 2023, 08:16:45 AMLooking on National Express site this morning the 59 service from Wolverhampton to Ashmore Park is running today.
It's running hourly rather than every 10 minutes or so. Bustimes.org are tracking 3 buses on there.

The 2 X21's were running within minutes of each other earlier. Front one only going to University and back one going to Weoley Castle.
Also 2 87's together as well.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

Quote from: 2206 on March 21, 2023, 11:21:02 AMThe 2 X21's were running within minutes of each other earlier. Front one only going to University and back one going to Weoley Castle.
Also 2 87's together as well.
The timetables probably only allow for normal journey running times & don't take in to account how busy the limited services will be

GoldenSquid

It would seem the 6 is being ran by BC buses today. 6843 is parked in Solihull Town Centre with a piece of paper saying 6.
4 has AG buses.
Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

BBS

QuoteIt would seem the 6 is being ran by BC buses today. 6843 is parked in Solihull Town Centre with a piece of paper saying 6.
4 has AG buses.
6893 and 6894 are on the 6

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk