News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i really hope JCB/WRIGHTBUS are given time to iron out issues, they have developed more efficient  engines, it would be nice to see a British COMPANY make a success of hydrogen rather than the chinese take over with BYD products. 
If hydrogen works its thousands of British jobs, Lord Bamford's companies haven't had bajillons pounds in funding from the government either.

Abluhwleh

Didn't I hear something about an order for another hundred of these? Hopefully before these are built, NX can figure out the infrastructure needed to actually deploy them successfully.

PB50

I've noticed recently that the hydrogen buses are being used less on the 997 and none are being used on a Sunday. Anyone know why?

Mayfield

Basically there a waste of time, see the posts above for the excuses.

j789

On the most recent photo of a Hydrogen vehicle, I noticed the seating listed at 38/25 - 63 seats in total.

What is the reason for these having lower seating capacities than the equivalent diesel bus? 

Jack

Quote from: Mayfield on September 10, 2023, 07:34:25 PMBasically they're a waste of time, see the posts above for the excuses.
Most the reasons aren't even NX's fault...

Stu

Quote from: j789 on September 10, 2023, 07:37:33 PMOn the most recent photo of a Hydrogen vehicle, I noticed the seating listed at 38/25 - 63 seats in total.

What is the reason for these having lower seating capacities than the equivalent diesel bus?
Batteries and hydrogen tanks?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: j789 on September 10, 2023, 07:37:33 PMOn the most recent photo of a Hydrogen vehicle, I noticed the seating listed at 38/25 - 63 seats in total.

It must be to do with the batteries and/or hydrogen tanks, the Electrics are only H39/26 - 65 seats in total. That's 8 seats less than a Platinum and 12 seats less than an Enviro. So on a service which runs every 10 minutes (6 buses an hour), that's between 48 and 72 seats less an hour for Electric buses and between 60 and 84 seats less an hour for Hydrogen buses. A big drop, some services may need frequency increases but with the drivers shortage I can't see that happening for sometime yet. I have that both the Hydrogen and Electrics are a pleasure to ride on and I like them very much.

j789

The lower upper saloon seating capacities of these and the electrics are particularly surprising as what additional space is needed upstairs that takes the space of 5 seats?

busfan2847

Weight of batteries and hydrogen tanks.

Batteries are getting denser more efficient  thus holding more juice in the same space, the next generation of electric/hydrogen buses seating levels could match that of diesel buses one day, Tesla battery packs are becoming smaller as the efficiency improves that equates to vehicle being lighter and improving range.

Tony

Quote from: 2900 on September 11, 2023, 09:37:47 AMBatteries are getting denser more efficient  thus holding more juice in the same space, the next generation of electric/hydrogen buses seating levels could match that of diesel buses one day, Tesla battery packs are becoming smaller as the efficiency improves that equates to vehicle being lighter and improving range.
The Wrights Electroliner has exactly the same seating capacity & layout as a diesel streetdeck

Quote from: Tony on September 11, 2023, 09:59:36 AMThe Wrights Electroliner has exactly the same seating capacity & layout as a diesel streetdeck
Tony could you remind me which of the two Streetdecks hydrogen/ electric you thought were cracking drives from drivers point of view. seems like a no brain'er from seating capacity point Wrightbus wins but there are other factors like how efficient it is,
how many kwh is used per mile between ADL BYD systems and Wrightbus 

markcf83

No,a shortage of hydrogen fuel.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Tony

Quote from: 2900 on September 11, 2023, 10:13:27 AMTony could you remind me which of the two Streetdecks hydrogen/ electric you thought were cracking drives from drivers point of view. seems like a no brain'er from seating capacity point Wrightbus wins but there are other factors like how efficient it is,
how many kwh is used per mile between ADL BYD systems and Wrightbus
I really like driving both. The electroliner has a more modern dash than the hydroliner, but they both perform virtually the same. The only difference really is the Hydroliner generates electricity whereas the Electroliner stores it, but same drivetrain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk