News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Suggestions & Feature Requests

Started by Stu, February 09, 2020, 07:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

This forum is powered by its members, so it is only fair that members get a say!

So this topic is provided for suggestions to be made for feature requests and functionality to be added to the forum capabilities.

If it is possible, we'll try and implement it!

New features that have been added already in recent weeks include:

Don't forget also that if you view this forum on a mobile device (tablet/smartphone), you can select to view the forum using one of our modern responsive themes available to use, see:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=4853.0

All reasonable suggestions will be taken into consideration, and provided that capability is available (and doesn't cost the earth) it will be implemented if there is sufficient demand.

Note to members: please keep this topic for forum feature requests, not for attacking other members! (Not the kind of suggestions we're looking for!)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

DJ

This one is more for @Tony, but how about a way to suggest updates to fleet lists, similar to how bustimes.org lets users submit updates?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

JPC

A rather small niggle but...
In my list of 'new replies to my posts' some of the topics are long standing and recent posts from others in these topics bear no relevance to what I had last posted in the topic which in many cases was several years ago.  Is there a way of stopping the 'new replies' alerts on selected topics? ..up until when and if I post again in the topic.
I don't want to ignore the topics but still want them to appear in my list of 'unread posts since last visit'.

Stu

Quote from: StourValley98 on February 09, 2020, 08:34:30 PM
This one is more for @Tony, but how about a way to suggest updates to fleet lists, similar to how bustimes.org lets users submit updates?

Tony's main site is outside of my remit unfortunately, however if you do notice any errors or omissions on Tony's main site, they can be reported in the 'Bugs & Errors - main site' forum topic:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=1334.0

My locals:

Tony

Quote from: StourValley98 on February 09, 2020, 08:34:30 PM

Starting a topic on here would probably be easiest, 

windy miller

Update(s) of if/when WM vehicles are away for accident repair might be a
   useful addition... save me running from Coventry to Leamington chasing 7539!

@windy miller - Those updates already exist:
http://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=5627.15

Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Sayeed

I would love to see the history of post edits.
Век живи - век учись

Stu

Quote from: Sayeed on March 14, 2020, 01:05:59 AM
I would love to see the history of post edits.

May I ask for what purpose?
My locals:

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stu on March 15, 2020, 10:51:11 AM
May I ask for what purpose?

Surely 99% of post edits are because someone has made a mistake.

I to don't understand why someone would want to look at peoples mistakes, I certainly wouldn't want people looking at my edits.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

This topic is for members to suggest new functions and features, not for having a go at each other.

As it stands, being able to view post edits is not a feature included within SMF, and even the admins and mods are unable to see the history of posts, this isn't a 'wiki' after all. When a post is edited, its content is changed in the database.

There is a 'mod' (modification) for SMF that will allow this, but as it involves additional database storage space, I am not going to consider this suggestion, as I don't see what value it would add to the forum and its functionality.

Members are not currently allowed to delete their own posts - only mods and admins can do this.

Members are allowed to edit their own posts - currently we set this to a generous 'grace period' of 24 hours, this was established a couple of years back when one member had a 'hissy fit' and edited every one of their own posts, which then ruined the flow of the thread.

The ability to edit one's own post is meant to be for the purpose of correcting any 'typos' or spelling or grammatical mistakes, or for adding any 'afterthoughts' or additonal information. It shouldn't be used to edit the context of your post, especially if others have since replied.

If it is being suggested that members are editing their posts to mislead others, then I'll consider reducing the time allowed to edit down to something like 15 minutes, as other forums seem to do.
My locals:

Pat

Following from my confusion of Washwood Heath (an area I don't know particularly well) and the X12, I thought it might be a good idea to have certain members that 'represent' different areas of the West Midlands and further afield.  These members could be 'consulted' about services in their area, should there be a debate or any confusion about services in a particular area that need to be cleared up.  The dedicated member would obviously have to have good knowledge of the area they represent and the services in that area.  Perhaps they should represent the area where they live?  I understand that moderators have the job to monitor threads and resolve dispute, but they surely can't be familiar with every service or area.  They, along with ordinary members, could tag the dedicated member for that area to respond to any questions and clear things up, knowing that the response is coming from someone with good knowledge of the area.

E.g there is some confusion in a thread over services in West Dudley.  Members may be able to ask the dedicated member who knows the area and services well to clear up any confusion, and give accurate information.  Obviously members who aren't the dedicated area member can contribute, but there would be somebody to turn to who that is recognised on the forum that could give a clear answer.

For example, I offer to be the dedicated member for the Telford area.

Just a suggestion.  I think it could work well?

Busboy105

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 10:03:24 PM
Following from my confusion of Washwood Heath (an area I don't know particularly well) and the X12, I thought it might be a good idea to have certain members that 'represent' different areas of the West Midlands and further afield.  These members could be 'consulted' about services in their area, should there be a debate or any confusion about services in a particular area that need to be cleared up.  The dedicated member would obviously have to have good knowledge of the area they represent and the services in that area.  Perhaps they should represent the area where they live?  I understand that moderators have the job to monitor threads and resolve dispute, but they surely can't be familiar with every service or area.  They, along with ordinary members, could tag the dedicated member for that area to respond to any questions and clear things up, knowing that the response is coming from someone with good knowledge of the area.

E.g there is some confusion in a thread over services in West Dudley.  Members may be able to ask the dedicated member who knows the area and services well to clear up any confusion, and give accurate information.  Obviously members who aren't the dedicated area member can contribute, but there would be somebody to turn to who that is recognised on the forum that could give a clear answer.

That's not a bad idea you know.

Kevin

That will just create arguments between people who know and people who think they know, which if I'm not mistaken is how this came about in the first place when you trusted Google over someone on here telling you otherwise
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Pat

Quote from: Kevin on May 05, 2020, 09:36:30 AM
That will just create arguments between people who know and people who think they know, which if I'm not mistaken is how this came about in the first place when you trusted Google over someone on here telling you otherwise
The whole reason why I suggested this was to avoid arguments, as people would get an accurate answer from someone with good knowledge.  Google gave me inaccurate information, which I thought was right as I've never had any trouble with Google in the past.  If there was a recognised knowledgeable member, the confusion can be cleared up.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on May 04, 2020, 10:03:24 PM

That is a great idea @NXWMFAN1105. This should've been done in the first place. Again not trying to start an augument, but why wasn't it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk