News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

TheTrainline / ticket booking apps

Started by windy miller, January 24, 2020, 03:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

Quote from: the trainbasher on January 25, 2020, 09:11:19 PM
Best way to book a train ticket - speak to a human at your local rail station enquiry office. They have more expertise (usually) than the websites and machines that are trying to replace them.

I have to agree T/b ..I made a minor booking error last year in selecting my advance
  tickets online..Unknowingly I accidentally selected the E ticket receipt option instead
of the usual machine method.. When I tried to collect my tickets at the desk the clerk
  was unable to print them.When I explained that the selection was either
  unintentional or possibly ? a default option if no selection was made???
       the benefit of having a 1-1 with the clerk proved to be an advantage as he
       was able to contact the booking site on my behalf and subsequently print
       my tickets...Incidentally, Avanti were given my registration info legitimately
      from the original Virgin booking engine. If your 'selected' engine includes
      a booking fee it would still apply regardless of your choice of collection.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

windy miller

@ Richard Jones.. it had occurred to me that IF, as you say, you appear to have
    an option for discussion at your 'Avanti Customer focus' Meetings?... realy?
      can you suggest that previous Virgin failings/inconsistencies be eliminated
      under a new franchise?.  The business of walk-up Seat reservation(s) being
    offered when a service has already begun its journey is a joke.  If you have a 
    seat(s) booked before Midnight Fine... OR before the service leaves its outgoing
      terminal There can be no Ambiguities. Unfortunately in 2019 both Virgin AND 
     XC (on board) seat reservation software was so often unreliable..As I found out
      the hard way.. YES I had a pre booked seat..but NO I couldn't  sit in it!..Why?
       because the entire train was devoid of seat reservations and MY seat was
     occupied by a father and three sons with roll up tickets for a Rugby? match
       at Coventry.   As all seats were clearly 'available'  He had every right to
       occupy the seat.?.. I chose an alternative 'available seat' right?.Nah..a member
        of train staff asked me to 'vacate' my chosen seat as it had been reserved.
      The situation was evidently not a 'one off' hence a game of 'musical chairs..
      compounded by train management apologising for the lack of seat info LONG 
      AFTER the train  had departed  After making a formal complaint I later received
     an apology... and £5   I hope Avanti has more to offer....

mikestone

I wasn't aware Avanti offered seat reservations after departure.
;
I am amazed that this nonsense ever got past whatever passes for staff consultation given the obvious likelihood of on train disputes.

Gareth

I used the Avanti site for the first time last night. Biggest let down for me is not being able to seat select. I travel alone, so when in first class, I'll always pick a single seat. But I've been allocated a seat on a table for 4, meaning I could potentially share my journey with three strangers.
Maybe I can move after departure, but I suppose they could sell the seat I move into as the journey progresses. I hope it's something they change soon.

mikestone

I'd have thought the programme would automatically put a single booking in a single seat - I'd assumed the reason the forward facing window seat at a table was invariably reserved was the availability of the seat selector, and probably why they have removed it?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Gareth on February 21, 2020, 10:33:25 AM
I used the Avanti site for the first time last night. Biggest let down for me is not being able to seat select. I travel alone, so when in first class, I'll always pick a single seat. But I've been allocated a seat on a table for 4, meaning I could potentially share my journey with three strangers.
Maybe I can move after departure, but I suppose they could sell the seat I move into as the journey progresses. I hope it's something they change soon.

From Tweets that I have seen, they hope to introduce a select a seat service in the Autumn, let's hope it is sooner than that.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

windy miller

Quote from: Tony on January 25, 2020, 12:41:29 PM
Agree. The Trainline is an awful rip-off site. The fees for their business customers can be more than the costs of the ticket they are booking. Avoid like the plague!

I currently have £50 worth of Advance train bookings between Manchester Leeds
London and Doncaster All of these bookings were made with the LNWR engine as recommended in February prior to the covid restrictions.
There were no booking fees.Like so many others I have applied for refunds. After
making several attempts to contact their customer service on an 0333 number the waiting time is absolutely ridiculous.. I get cheap broadband from BT but the Downside
is I have to pay more for land line calls (10p p/m) I gave up after 20 mins....and posted My (existing) tickets to their (LNWR) customer relations office in Edinburgh  P/o box 23972   EH3 5DA  Their address is freepost But if your tickets are valuable
  you need to send them recorded delivery . Unfortunately You can't have a freepost  Rec del so you need to pay to be safe.. I see the Trainline booking engine appears to be refusing refunds?.only offering alternative bookings on some future date assuming some of us  live long enough to enjoy them  >:( As Tony had said.earlier..bunch of thief's >:(

windy miller

As Tony rightly pointed out some time ago that trainline were effectively a bunch of
     con men and not to be trusted... I checked a senior rail price for London Euston
    yesterday... the LM/ LNW site quoted a fare of £9.20  any time . (each way)  ..I checked the trainline site out of curiosity and the same LM services are available at £14 + Booking
   fee  (0.75p)  Robbing bst***s    Chiltern are not prepared to offer any reasonably priced
    london services... at least not for the time being.....

Bob

I have a Super off peak open return for the 10.15 moor st to marylebone on Sat and have received an email saying the train has been cancelled ( no reason given) can i use the ticket on the 9.55?

Cheese

Quote from: Bob on September 21, 2020, 09:45:06 AM
I have a Super off peak open return for the 10.15 moor st to marylebone on Sat and have received an email saying the train has been cancelled ( no reason given) can i use the ticket on the 9.55?

Should be able to, they appear to be valid on all Chiltern services on a Saturday. Looks like a short notice change to the timetable, the 1015 is now at 1034 or something?

Bob

Quote from: Cheese on September 21, 2020, 09:50:32 AM
Should be able to, they appear to be valid on all Chiltern services on a Saturday. Looks like a short notice change to the timetable, the 1015 is now at 1034 or something?

Yes strange. The 9.55 is a little quicker

WMT3000

It's definitely valid early on a Saturday. I usually catch the 0715 from Moor St.

Pat

Can travel at any time with a super off peak on weekends.

Bob

Bob

Just after some advice. Had booked advance tickets to london way before yesterdays lockdown announcement, on Trainline. No option for refund when i click on "Manage my booking". Surely these are exceptional circumstances? It doesnt give me an option to reschedule for a later date either!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk