News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Transport for Wales

Started by Sh4318, April 14, 2019, 02:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Quote from: Stu on August 10, 2019, 06:23:36 PM
Was really not impressed with TFW last Saturday!

I was travelling on holiday to Borth from Birmingham New Street, with my companions due to board the same train at Wolverhampton.

The departure displays were indicating that the train would be a four carriage unit, and that passengers for Borth and Aberystwyth should use the rear coaches C & D, while those going on to Barmouth and Pwllheli should use the front coaches A and B. This was based on my understanding that the train would seperate at Machynlleth. As a result, my sister and her partner had specifically reserved seats when booking their tickets.

So you can imagine my surprise as the train rolls in at New Street, and I'm counting the coaches, so I know which one to get into - I hadn't reserved a specific seat, but as I knew where my travelling companions had reservations it made sense to find a seat near them - and there are only two coaches! There was already a large crowd on the station platform - including a large group of 'football fans' - and as I asked one of the TFW staff "where's the rest of the train?" I just got a shrugged shoulders response.

So we have a short-formed train full of holidaymakers off to Aberystwyth, Barmouth, Borth and Pwllhelli, as well as a large group of Portsmouth fans heading to Shrewsbury for a football match, all trying to squeeze into two carriages rather than four. 

That wasn't the best start to this holiday. I had to stand all the way to Shrewsbury, while my sister and her partner had to stand from Wolverhampton. Luckily once all the footy yobs got off at Shrewsbury, we could all shuffle down the train and find some available seats. But all the time, the onboard announcements were showing that 'this train is for Aberystwyth', it was only after leaving Shrewsbury that we were told that passengers for Borth and Abersytwyth would have to change onto another train at Machynlleth - I guess that answered the question of "where's the rest of the train?" :D

A pretty fraught experience, and it didn't give me a very good opinion of Transport For Wales' service, though happily the return journey went to plan, with our two carriage train from Borth joining the train from Pwllheli at Machynlleth to form a four-car unit on to Shrewbsury and Birmingham.

Still, I think I got my moneys worth at £40 return. ;)
It's a pretty regular occurrence. 

Stu

Quote from: mikestone on August 10, 2019, 07:36:19 PM
The New St CIS seems unable to cope with formation changes, and I have the impression it doesn't get its information from the same source as other stations.

It was a pretty poor show to be honest, the lack of clarity was appalling. And it also seemed pretty pointless being able to reserve specific seats in coaches that frankly didn't exist. Also, I'm sure there are other trains to Shrewsbury that the football mob could have got on instead, rather than clogging up a train that should really have been intended for the longer distance travellers.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on August 10, 2019, 08:05:02 PM
It was a pretty poor show to be honest, the lack of clarity was appalling. And it also seemed pretty pointless being able to reserve specific seats in coaches that frankly didn't exist. Also, I'm sure there are other trains to Shrewsbury that the football mob could have got on instead, rather than clogging up a train that should really have been intended for the longer distance travellers.
That's the quickest service.  Anyway, why should they have taken another service?  That train isn't just for long distance travellers.

mikestone

09.10 Inter-Holyhead on journey check as 4 v 6 today. I was under the impression it had been reduced permanently to release a set for PRM mods?

Roy

Transport for Wales Class 230 unit currently having test runs most days between Honeybourne and Stourbridge Junction.  230 006 is the unit being used.

mikestone

From 6th July TfW services are based on an SX service, but daytime off-peak services won't run between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International.

Sh4318

Quote from: mikestone on June 28, 2020, 12:37:30 PM
From 6th July TfW services are based on an SX service, but daytime off-peak services won't run between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International.

So no off-peak direct services between Smethwick GB & Shrewsbury? Fantastic
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

mikestone

Back to hourly next week.

JIM H

230007 on test at Stourbridge Junction 13/7/20

B61 ANDREW

The same unit being tested today , the first one that I have seen , quite impressive as it passed through Blakedown Station earlier . :D

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Ian Hardy

But the Welsh Assembly Government wanted to show that they are separate country from England by being different:-)

markcf83

Quote from: Ian Hardy on August 16, 2020, 07:49:49 PM
But the Welsh Assembly Government wanted to show that they are separate country from England by being different:-)

Drakeford is an idiot with no brain.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

JIM H

230008 on test at Stourbridge Junction today. That leaves 2 more to be completed for Tfw.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk