News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

The New NXWM App

Started by PinkBus, November 01, 2018, 03:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I agree that more than the next service should be shown.  For instance, I might want to know the time of the next 15 to Wolverhampton but find that the next bus is going to Wall Heath.  At times of disruption, such as earlier this week when 4-way lights were in operation at Kingswinford Cross, it is possible that the service after a Wall Heath terminator is another Wall Heath terminator and this is not shown on the new app.

My other concern is the description of destinations.  As examples, the 5 is shown as terminating at "Kingswinford, Stourbridge", the 15 is shown as terminating at "Wall Heath, Stourbridge" while all services that terminate at Merry Hill are shown as terminating at "Merry Hill, Dudley".  This might be alright for people who know the routes but would be very confusing for infrequent passengers. 

EDIT : In addition, I noticed that the 50 goes from "Digbeth, Birmingham" to "Druids Heath, Birmingham".  If I was a visitor, I would ask which way is Birmingham??? 

I looked at the app at 22:15 on Saturday to see how the Wolves match plus Himley fireworks were affecting services from Wolverhampton.  What I found is that the app gives full details of the next service plus the times of the next two services, but when one or more of the services is for the following day, the time of the first bus on Saturday is displayed rather than the first bus on Sunday.  For instance, for the 16 to Stourbridge, the times were shown as 36 minutes, 89 minutes and 06:23.  That would be fine except that 06:23 is the time of the first bus on a Saturday.  Anybody turning up at 06:23 to catch a bus on a Sunday would wait over 3 and a half hours for one to turn up.  In addition, the next bus on service 657 is shown as being at 09:42, which is pretty good given that the 657 does not run on a Sunday.  The data corrected itself at midnight and showed correct information for Sunday.

I will be sending feedback to try to get these problems resolved.

MasterPlan

Is the app working properly now? Also, if I want to revert back to the old one will I be able to do so?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 06, 2018, 08:02:11 PM
Is the app working properly now? Also, if I want to revert back to the old one will I be able to do so?

Apart from a brief period yesterday morning, it seems to be working quite well, I'm quite pleased with it now.

The 'old' app should still continue to work as long as you have it installed on your phone and tablet.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ashley 60171

Until I'm sure the upgrade is definitely am upgrade, I'll just turn up at the stop and hope for the best. 😂 😂 😂

CL

In regards to other members on here noting the fact that other operator's show up on the new app, I wanted to test how far I could stretch that definition.

I was down London today and, sure enough, works a treat down there! 😂 (albeit showing timetabled data instead of RTI)

Personally, I enjoy the bus tracker in the new app. It's a nice feature, although I find it slow updating real time positioning of the bus; which I could understand. Worth pointing out that the live tracker only shows up for NX vehicles, but I wouldn't expect any more or any less from the app designed for a single operator.

I've only one negative experience with the real time location of a bus. I was getting off the 935 on Moor Street Queensway, from where the app told me that my 16 was still at the bottom of Moor Street (near Selfridges) - allowing me to think that I'll have ample time to steadily pace myself to the stop on Priory Queensway. Lo and behold, I look up and to my surprise my connecting bus was already at the lights at the Albert Street junction! - all the while the app hadn't updated the location of the bus. I did manage to make it in the end, but I won't be seeing myself using this feature except perhaps for bus spotting.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

cardew

The app is more stable but I still find the old one better, I tested it out on the 27 route today and the tracker was pretty accurate - it will never be spot on. An 11 was tracking off route near the cricket ground, presumably running dead back to the garage.

CL

Quote from: cardew on November 06, 2018, 10:33:32 PM
The app is more stable but I still find the old one better, I tested it out on the 27 route today and the tracker was pretty accurate - it will never be spot on. An 11 was tracking off route near the cricket ground, presumably running dead back to the garage.
That reminds me; I also used it for the 27 - only yesterday!  ;D Bournville Lane was closed for roadworks, so the 27 was diverted via Cotteridge, according to the app. I'll accept the fact that it may never be accurate; admittedly, that was just me being nit-picky. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: CL on November 06, 2018, 10:46:35 PM
That reminds me; I also used it for the 27 - only yesterday!  ;D Bournville Lane was closed for roadworks, so the 27 was diverted via Cotteridge, according to the app. I'll accept the fact that it may never be accurate; admittedly, that was just me being nit-picky. :P

I like the Diamond app where you can get next stop announcements on your phone, then if you are on a route you don't know it gives you an idea where you are!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

MasterPlan

Well this doesn't bode well.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Mike K

I'm finding the new app a huge let down compared to the old one. The old one wasn't without its issues but when working was quick and simple. I'm finding the new one really slow to load and I can't work out how to see the times of anything but the next 2 buses. I could plan ahead on the old app when was the best time to leave the house in the morning. I had both apps open this evening and one was telling me the next bus was in 3 minutes, the other was saying 6 minutes. Poor, clunky, and not at all easy to use.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 07, 2018, 08:49:50 AM
Well this doesn't bode well.

A lot of people (including myself) left 1-star reviews when the app was initially launched and didn't work. I have since amended my own review and given it a higher score.

Give it a try yourself and make your own mind up.  ;)

Quote from: Mike K on November 07, 2018, 05:57:39 PM
I had both apps open this evening and one was telling me the next bus was in 3 minutes, the other was saying 6 minutes. Poor, clunky, and not at all easy to use.

It does say somewhere that information on the app may differ to that shown on displays at stops (and presumably the 'old' app) as the new app uses different data. Personally I think it is a bit more accurate, as I have been finding recently that when catching the 2 and 3 in particular, the 'old' app was showing buses as being due but not turning up for up to another five minutes.

In your example, I'd hazard a guess that it was the 'old' app saying 3 mins, with the new app saying 6 mins?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Mike K

Quote from: Stu on November 07, 2018, 07:12:56 PM
A lot of people (including myself) left 1-star reviews when the app was initially launched and didn't work. I have since amended my own review and given it a higher score.

Give it a try yourself and make your own mind up.  ;)

It does say somewhere that information on the app may differ to that shown on displays at stops (and presumably the 'old' app) as the new app uses different data. Personally I think it is a bit more accurate, as I have been finding recently that when catching the 2 and 3 in particular, the 'old' app was showing buses as being due but not turning up for up to another five minutes.

In your example, I'd hazard a guess that it was the 'old' app saying 3 mins, with the new app saying 6 mins?

It was the old app saying 3 and the new one saying 6 mins yes. In the event, three 23s turned up together after around 4 or 5 minutes!

PinkBus

Have to agree with most of the comments here, it was dreadful the first couple of days and I couldn't get it to work, but since Saturday it has seemed to be working ok and I must admit I quite like the tracking feature, even if sometimes it is slightly out.

It should have been tested more before it was rolled out to Google Play to be downloaded, but the major hugs seem (mostly) to be sorted out and it can only improve.
Just sitting here
Watching the Outer Circle buses
Go round and round...

Kevin

Quote from: Mike K on November 07, 2018, 07:19:15 PM
It was the old app saying 3 and the new one saying 6 mins yes. In the event, three 23s turned up together after around 4 or 5 minutes!

A complete guess, but could it be that the new app uses data that also takes into account traffic levels? It's something that's been a bone of contention among passengers for a whole, and granted not something easily overcome, that a bus can literally be only a minute away but traffic dictates otherwise, so maybe someone has managed to incorporate that sort of data?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

busboy31

is there a live bus fleet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk