News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Legal Tender

Started by Ginger66, September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Why do MML refuse the legal £20 & £50 bank notes for trips on a consumed journey.  A good 95% of my notes are £20 notes.

Dom

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM
Why do MML refuse the legal £20 & £50 bank notes for trips on a consumed journey.  A good 95% of my notes are £20 notes.

Because itd require too much change when most fares are £5 or less. Also more time consuming having to deal with the change, checking the note is really etc.

Tony

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM

Well make sure you have something smaller before boarding. Not sure why 95% of your notes are £20, whenever I use a cashpoint to withdraw £40 the normal combination it will give me is 1x£20 & 2x£10. I know they do sometimes give 2x£20 when they are running low, but an easy way to make sure you have a £10 is to ask for an amount like £30; 50; 70etc.

There is one cashpoint in Lloyds, New Street that still issues £5 notes

DJ

Quote from: Tony on September 26, 2018, 08:24:52 AM
Well make sure you have something smaller before boarding. Not sure why 95% of your notes are £20, whenever I use a cashpoint to withdraw £40 the normal combination it will give me is 1x£20 & 2x£10. I know they do sometimes give 2x£20 when they are running low, but an easy way to make sure you have a £10 is to ask for an amount like £30; 50; 70etc.

Or do what I do and break a £20 if I have one spare by buying a drink or something, since I'll usually need change at some point in the near future. The Metro also takes card, so if you can take money out at a machine, surely you could just pay by card on board? Better yet, just get a Swift PAYG card and have it auto renew from your bank card, since you'll then get cheaper fares and it'll save you needing to carry cash as much.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

the trainbasher

I've used a £20 on the metro for a £1 city hop and they've had no problems accepting it.

Quote from: Dom on September 26, 2018, 07:55:56 AM
Because itd require too much change when most fares are £5 or less. Also more time consuming having to deal with the change, checking the note is really etc.

No excuse for that. If it's good enough for a bus operator to accept a £20 without checking at point of use for a less than £5 fare, it's good enough for the metro.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

BK63 YWP

The amount of forged £20 notes, they accept contactless, swift etc so it's up to them if they accept £20 and breaking a £20 for a city hop... I would of just walked
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Ginger66

Quote from: Tony on September 26, 2018, 08:24:52 AM

Cashpoint at work on campus only issues mainly £20 notes  and when i request amount i only get 2 fivers and rest us the higher value notes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk