News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Cross Country

Started by Kevin, September 13, 2018, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

Voyager - it comes from Southampton.

BK63 YWP

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Roy

It's the 16:03 service from New Street to Edinburgh and Glasgow Central which is an HST on Mondays to Saturdays.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on September 24, 2019, 09:41:51 PM
It's the 16:03 service from New Street to Edinburgh and Glasgow Central which is an HST on Mondays to Saturdays.

Thanks very much for the info. These HST get quite full from Birmingham to derby?

Roy

Quote from: Trident 4194 on September 25, 2019, 10:43:08 AM
Thanks very much for the info. These HST get quite full from Birmingham to derby?
This train is always popular and there are always a lot of people on platform 9 waiting to board when it arrives from Plymouth.  However, a lot of people travelling from the South West do get off at New Street (myself included). 

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on September 25, 2019, 06:39:13 PM
This train is always popular and there are always a lot of people on platform 9 waiting to board when it arrives from Plymouth.  However, a lot of people travelling from the South West do get off at New Street (myself included).

Interestingly when putting a return from new street to Nottingham it does allow me to use trains that mean I have to change at derby, however the 16:03 is one which is not included, however I guess there's nothing stopping me with an anytime return going whichever way I want to Nottingham? Eg catching the 16:03 HST to derby and then continuing from there. I guess it just means I wouldn't be able to reserve a seat

Roy

The reason the 1603 is not showing for a Birmingham to Nottingham ticket is that the first onward service from Derby to Nottingham is actually the 1619 departure from New Street, so the system would assume that you would wait for the through service.  You would certainly be able to use the 1603 service with an anytime return ticket but, as you say, you would not have a reserved seat.  The alternative might be to buy split tickets (i.e. one from Birmingham to Derby and one from Derby to Nottingham).  Advance tickets with reservations are available on the 1603 for Birmingham to Derby journeys.

I caught the train up from Plymouth today and it was packed between Bristol and Birmingham.  Every seat in coach G had a reservation card for at least part of its 10 hour journey, although the seat I was in was unreserved from Birmingham to Sheffield.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on September 26, 2019, 10:00:46 PM
The reason the 1603 is not showing for a Birmingham to Nottingham ticket is that the first onward service from Derby to Nottingham is actually the 1619 departure from New Street, so the system would assume that you would wait for the through service.  You would certainly be able to use the 1603 service with an anytime return ticket but, as you say, you would not have a reserved seat.  The alternative might be to buy split tickets (i.e. one from Birmingham to Derby and one from Derby to Nottingham).  Advance tickets with reservations are available on the 1603 for Birmingham to Derby journeys.

I caught the train up from Plymouth today and it was packed between Bristol and Birmingham.  Every seat in coach G had a reservation card for at least part of its 10 hour journey, although the seat I was in was unreserved from Birmingham to Sheffield.

Works out more expensive splitting the journey. Do these HSTs have carriages which are unreserved?

Roy

Quote from: Trident 4194 on September 27, 2019, 09:42:54 AM
Works out more expensive splitting the journey. Do these HSTs have carriages which are unreserved?

You can reserve a seat in any coach as the CrossCountry website allows you to select your own seat if you wish to do so.  However, I know somebody who works flexible hours in Birmingham and has set his working day so that he can catch the 0750 train from Tamworth and the 1603 back home.  A lot of the people waiting for the 1603 are commuters who certainly do not have reserved seats.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on September 27, 2019, 03:58:47 PM
You can reserve a seat in any coach as the CrossCountry website allows you to select your own seat if you wish to do so.  However, I know somebody who works flexible hours in Birmingham and has set his working day so that he can catch the 0750 train from Tamworth and the 1603 back home.  A lot of the people waiting for the 1603 are commuters who certainly do not have reserved seats.

Is there a carriage or carriages that are solely unreserved on there HSTs?

Roy

I don't know whether the same is true on all XC HST services but the Train Manager on the 0812 service to Plymouth this morning told passengers that passengers without reservations would find unreserved seats in coach F.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Roy on November 23, 2019, 01:25:28 PM
I don't know whether the same is true on all XC HST services but the Train Manager on the 0812 service to Plymouth this morning told passengers that passengers without reservations would find unreserved seats in coach F.

I've got to go up to Leeds next friday. Will be returning around 3:45. Why is the 16:11 from Leeds not showing up, and only the 16:35? I'm aware the 16:11 is a HST

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 24, 2019, 11:25:23 AM
I've got to go up to Leeds next friday. Will be returning around 3:45. Why is the 16:11 from Leeds not showing up, and only the 16:35? I'm aware the 16:11 is a HST

It's worth trying the National Rail journey planner: -

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/BHM/LDS/291119/0845/dep/291119/1545/dep#outwardJump

Trident 4194

Quote from: Justin Tyme on November 24, 2019, 11:34:20 AM
It's worth trying the National Rail journey planner: -

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/timesandfares/BHM/LDS/291119/0845/dep/291119/1545/dep#outwardJump

Thankyou!! I had tried Trainline and there was no existence of that trip. Very strange

Roy

The 16:11 is also showing on the CrossCountry trains website.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk