News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Cross Country

Started by Kevin, September 13, 2018, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

....could have sworn there was a topic for XC on here already

Anyone know which way the Brum - Stansted services are diverting at the moment with the Nuneaton line closed? I'd imagine via the recent Derby diversion and down through Loughborough

Also, curious that the replacement coaches are running Nuneaton - Coleshill - Birmingham International, is it really that much quicker to get a train there than coach from New Street?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Ian Hardy

Two things:

1. I would say that journey time from Coleshill to International is more reliable than going all the way into the centre of Birmingham especially at peak hours. According to the AA routeplanner it is 14.3 miles from Coleshill to New Street via the M6 and it should take 23 minutes. Whereas Coleshill to International is only 6 miles and takes 14 minutes.

2. It avoids having rail replacement coaches laying over in and around New Street station.

DJ

There were replacement coaches today doing both Nuneaton - Coleshill - International and Nuneaton direct to International. Noted on there were Amans Travel, Eminence Travel, JKT International and Bouden Coach Travel, from what I saw. There were also 'posters' dotted around Nuneaton station with advice for passengers, recommending that people travel to Coventry or Tamworth and then into Birmingham from there, although the chap outside was directing anyone with a ticket to Birmingham onto the direct International coach.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

mikestone

Did anyone record the HST on Birmingham-Manchester yesterday - from RTT I thought it worked the 10.45 Bournemouth Manchester from New St, the 17.05 back and then forward on the 15.46 Southampton-Leeds from New St

DJ

Quote from: mikestone on October 02, 2018, 08:53:36 PM
Did anyone record the HST on Birmingham-Manchester yesterday - from RTT I thought it worked the 10.45 Bournemouth Manchester from New St, the 17.05 back and then forward on the 15.46 Southampton-Leeds from New St

I've seen some photographs of it on Flickr, not sure if anyone recorded it though.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

mikestone

Thanks, I didn't make myself clear. Someone said it had been through Stafford three times - I am guessing it was shown on the 19.31 Birmingham-Manchester at some point and when I rechecked thought the four minutes to empty and reload at New St was a trifle short. The empties Leeds-Crofton had no times after departure so I am happy it did what I thought.

sonic84

Rather than start a new thread, I got a XC train from international to new street about 11pm a couple of Friday's ago.

It diverted I think at Stechford and we ended up passing Aston, Perry Barr stations and entering New Street from the opposite side. Is this the usual route for this journey does anyone know?

Solo1

Quote from: sonic84 on October 09, 2018, 08:02:38 AM
Rather than start a new thread, I got a XC train from international to new street about 11pm a couple of Friday's ago.

It diverted I think at Stechford and we ended up passing Aston, Perry Barr stations and entering New Street from the opposite side. Is this the usual route for this journey does anyone know?
if the line is  having  track work would go this way  or would have to have shuttle buses /coaches

Smethwickian

f it was one of the journeys listed here http://www.psul4all.free-online.co.uk/2018.htm (possibly the 2145 Reading to Birmingham New Street?)   then it is a scheduled use of the line to help retain route knowledge for diversionary use.
It's the same reason at least one journey a day from the North East runs from Burton to New Street via the Alrewas and Lichfield route rather than Tamworth, and an early New Street to Cardiff departure trundles its way through Kidderminster every morning (see listings on that link for the Lichfield-Wichnor and Galton-Smethwick West lines respectively).

mikestone

It is also the "Parliamentary" service for Aston-Stechford as the local service was withdrawn without going through the closure procedure.

Kevin

Late evening (2330) Euston - Brum Pendolinos use this route fairly regular as well
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stuharris 6360

06:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth (1v50) failed at Bromsgrove at Lunchtime.

50049 from SVR due to leave Kidderminster at 17:15 to tow the HST to Tyseley!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 12, 2018, 04:52:44 PM
06:06 Edinburgh to Plymouth (1v50) failed at Bromsgrove at Lunchtime.

50049 from SVR due to leave Kidderminster at 17:15 to tow the HST to Tyseley!

50049 made it to Birmingham New Street only to find that fitters had managed to get the HST on the move, so 50049 ECS back to Kidderminster.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

mikestone

Quote from: Kevin on October 09, 2018, 02:10:49 PM
Late evening (2330) Euston - Brum Pendolinos use this route fairly regular as well
Shouldn't be - possesion time is 01.40. What I have never found out is what happens to Wolverhampton passenger in the weeks it (and the 22.30) don't run through. Posters never mention any road replacement.   

mikestone

18.31 Birmingham-Manchester and 20.05 back are HST tonight according to journey check.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk