News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busboy105

Quote from: mikestone on June 14, 2020, 03:30:08 PM
Apparently now agreed that Birminghan-Stoke-Crewe services will run via and calll at Tame Bridge Parkway from December in preperation for the opening of Darlaston and Willenhall.
Why are they doing that when the stations won't open until 2022? Even the Sprint Line 1 hasn't even started in its building stage yet.

Tony

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 14, 2020, 04:40:43 PM
Why are they doing that when the stations won't open until 2022? Even the Sprint Line 1 hasn't even started in its building stage yet.

To free up capacity on the Stour Valley
To give Tame Bridge Parkway a direct service to Wolverhampton, Stafford, Stoke and Crewe
To increase capacity between Birmingham and Tame Bridge Parkway.

Plenty of reasons

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 14, 2020, 04:46:56 PM
To free up capacity on the Stour Valley
To give Tame Bridge Parkway a direct service to Wolverhampton, Stafford, Stoke and Crewe
To increase capacity between Birmingham and Tame Bridge Parkway.

Plenty of reasons
Tame Bridge already has a direct service to Wolves doesn't it?

Tony

Quote from: Pat on June 14, 2020, 08:10:03 PM
Tame Bridge already has a direct service to Wolves doesn't it?

It has through trains via Birmingham, hardly direct

mikestone

Southbound services stand long enough at New St to make it relatively straightforward change, but going the other way looks a bit problematic unless they swop paths with the International-Rugeley trains, but that would result in trains from Crewe only having a five minute turn round before going to Rugeley.

the trainbasher

That means SGB loses one of its New Street/Wolves trains.

That service is pretty handy when heading to Manchester/Stoke from the Snow Hills as one could just change at Stoke then for a 390 and completely avoid XC

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Kevin

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 15, 2020, 03:33:30 AM
That means SGB loses one of its New Street/Wolves trains.

That service is pretty handy when heading to Manchester/Stoke from the Snow Hills as one could just change at Stoke then for a 390 and completely avoid XC

Can't please everyone....
I welcome the new connection. Personally reckon it'd be better if Chase line services continue up to Stafford (obviously there's likely to be capacity issues on that stretch of the WCML) and maybe Shrewsbury locals run via Tame Bridge. But change is good
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Pat

Quote from: Tony on June 14, 2020, 08:25:04 PM
It has through trains via Birmingham, hardly direct
But at least you don't have to channge.

mikestone

The original plan was for the Shrewsbury semi-fasts to go via Darlaston, although I don't think there was any mention of them calling at Tame Bridge. Galton Bridge will presumably still have the Liverpool trains.

ellspurs

Quote from: mikestone on June 15, 2020, 04:46:51 PM
The original plan was for the Shrewsbury semi-fasts to go via Darlaston, although I don't think there was any mention of them calling at Tame Bridge. Galton Bridge will presumably still have the Liverpool trains.

Could they possibly be calling at Tame Bridge temporarily while they're waiting for Darlaston to be built, which could be extended to permanent if the loadings are high?

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on June 15, 2020, 05:31:29 PM
Could they possibly be calling at Tame Bridge temporarily while they're waiting for Darlaston to be built, which could be extended to permanent if the loadings are high?

They will be calling at Tame Bridge after Darlaston has been built, they are on the same line, that is the whole point

ellspurs

Quote from: Tony on June 15, 2020, 05:47:07 PM
They will be calling at Tame Bridge after Darlaston has been built, they are on the same line, that is the whole point

Apologies, the way I read the initial statement indicated to me that the Tame Bridge move was a temporary measure. Glad to hear it is a permanent move.

Roy

West Midlands Railway services will be ramped up on 5 July.  The current service is providing about 70% capacity compared with the normal timetable.  The 5 July improvements will provide 100% capacity but with longer trains at a reduced frequency when compared with the normal timetable.

News on the Class 196s is that 196 101 is at Tyseley (as mentioned previously in the thread).  There are also 6 units completed and in test in Spain, and 2 units completed and in test in Newport.
Given that 20 carriages were being built in Spain, I would guess that the ones in test over there are 2 x 196/1 and 4 x 196/0.  The remaining units are being built in Newport.  The units will be used on New Street to Hereford services first, followed by Snow Hill services and New Street to Shrewsbury.     

Roy

Some news on the Class 730/0 units for the Cross City line.  The first unit has been completed at Derby and is currently in test.  The second unit is in production.

mikestone

Timetable from 6th July in realtime trains. Second Stour Valley local re-instated, but doesn't run to or from Walsall which seems to have an unchanged service.
Crewe-Stoke-Stafford service reverts to running to Birmingham. Coventry corridor and Birmingham-Liverpool  unchanged.
Crosscity and Snow Hill continue as 4 tph, but alternate Dorridge trains will continue to Stratford.
t

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk