News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

Quote from: Tony on January 04, 2019, 12:42:48 PM
They haven't saved a penny. The driver's still need training and they already have all the extra units (319s) on lease
Of course they've saved money - six months wages for the extra traincrew needed for the extra Shrewsbury trains and evening Snow Hill services. If they have been recruited and trained then there is absolutely no excuse for not using them to allow the handfull of extra ECS workings needed to segregate Shrewsbury and Hereford services from the Chase line. And clearly the DfT hasn't stopped minor changes like that - both Northern and TPE, supposedly only introducing May's timetable, have made bigger changes.
I'm not convinced that enough extra 319s have arrived either, although I accept they may be paying for units still at Long Marston.

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on January 05, 2019, 02:35:52 PM
Of course they've saved money - six months wages for the extra traincrew needed for the extra Shrewsbury trains and evening Snow Hill services. If they have been recruited and trained then there is absolutely no excuse for not using them to allow the handfull of extra ECS workings needed to segregate Shrewsbury and Hereford services from the Chase line. And clearly the DfT hasn't stopped minor changes like that - both Northern and TPE, supposedly only introducing May's timetable, have made bigger changes.
I'm not convinced that enough extra 319s have arrived either, although I accept they may be paying for units still at Long Marston.

The drivers have been recruited. They have taken on a lot of ex DBS drivers, some of which travel in with me on the chase line. The only leasing costs they are saving are the 172/0, and even that is down to TfL not releasing them. They wanted one at Leamington to train the drivers who should be doing the Nuneaton service with one of them.

The savings are a lot less than the extra revenue that they should be getting

Bob

WMR need to do something about the carpets on the chase line 170s. They smelt so bad on the 11.42 from new st today it permeated the carriage. Absolutely riffy. Its understandable due to high usage etc but carpets in carriages ( and on buses ) ive always thought were a mad idea. Vinyl/Lino all the way!

BK63 YWP

172006 according to rail forum is on the move from ilford today
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Roy

Roy

Quote from: Bob on January 04, 2019, 05:33:55 PM
323s can shift quicker than Desiros cant they? How much quicker will a trip from Cannock to New St be compared with now?

The bid timetable for the electrified services is showing 35 to 38 minutes between Cannock and New Street.

Bob

Quote from: Roy on January 06, 2019, 01:55:44 PM
The bid timetable for the electrified services is showing 35 to 38 minutes between Cannock and New Street.

Thats only about 4 mins quicker!

Stuharris 6360

Article on this lunchtimes Midlands Today (presumably repeated in the main Midlands Today at 18:30) about the delay to electric trains on the Chase Line.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Just checked on the 319s. Off the 15 they have 10 are in service, one is at Crewe under C6 overhaul and the others are at Silverton. None at Long Marston

Stuharris 6360

The problem is these days is that if you want to do anything on the railway you need to ask permission.

I remember when I worked for Central Trains and they wanted to make timetable changes on one particular line, they typed them all in the system and they were sent to (at that time) Railtrack and they all came back REFUSED.

This situation will not be someone at West Midland Trains being funny and saying we will wait till May to introduce electric trains on The Chase line, after all a great deal of work will have gone into formulating timetables, staff training, Recruitment etc.  More likely Network Rail, the ORR and ultimately the government are to blame.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 07, 2019, 10:44:33 PM
The problem is these days is that if you want to do anything on the railway you need to ask permission.

I remember when I worked for Central Trains and they wanted to make timetable changes on one particular line, they typed them all in the system and they were sent to (at that time) Railtrack and they all came back REFUSED.

This situation will not be someone at West Midland Trains being funny and saying we will wait till May to introduce electric trains on The Chase line, after all a great deal of work will have gone into formulating timetables, staff training, Recruitment etc.  More likely Network Rail, the ORR and ultimately the government are to blame.

Yes definitely. As I said in my previous posts WMT are ready to go and want to go every delay is costing them.

Kevin

Quote from: Bob on January 06, 2019, 02:42:13 PM

Would you rather keep the diesels?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Bob on January 06, 2019, 02:42:13 PM

As the class 170 can do the line speed, the only gain is in acceleration from the stations so never going to take that much off the journey time

The Real 4778

Don't you start.

Tony

Quote from: The Real 4778 on January 08, 2019, 09:23:29 AM
Auto-correct?  Wolverton!

Must be!

I definitely typed Wolverton, but never read it back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk