News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva Oswestry

Started by John, July 27, 2015, 05:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: BN on November 08, 2021, 08:30:12 PM
Have the Oct changes come through yet @Tony

Yes, I have just finished typing them up, long job with Wigston shutting. I haven't had chance to do the fleet list yet though

http://wmbusphotos.com/Fleetchanges/ArrivaMidlands.html

BN

Quote from: Tony on November 08, 2021, 09:02:37 PM
Yes, I have just finished typing them up, long job with Wigston shutting. I haven't had chance to do the fleet list yet though

http://wmbusphotos.com/Fleetchanges/ArrivaMidlands.html
Hinckley must be rammed!

Mayfield

Why will Hinckley be rammed as more have moved out than in.

Depotosw

Quote from: Tony on November 08, 2021, 07:37:02 PM
Oswestry is getting 4106, 4111 & 4112.

3785 will go to Telford

Yes indeed, was aware of the plans, trying to be discreet until they actually physically happen. 4106 is not in use yet, undergoing quite a bit of work to get it ready. 4803/6 are still active for the moment.

tphi12000

Noticed on Flickr 4111 has entered service in heritage Crosville livery
Tony

Tony

Quote from: tphi12000 on December 17, 2021, 09:51:22 PM
Noticed on Flickr 4111 has entered service in heritage Crosville livery

Arriva have sent me this photo
http://wmbusphotos.com/Arriva/4111.html

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Depotosw

With the arrival of 4111 at Oswestry, it has not yet seen off 4806, this remains on fleet strength and expected until after the New Year to coincide with its MoT expiry in January. The reason for this is understood to be with 4106 having more work been done on it, this time over at Shrewsbury, having not seen service for a few weeks now.

Vulcan

Been announced today Oswestry to close , operations be split between 
Wrexham 2 & Shrewsbury X5 & 53  
Locals to be surrendered 
Also Winsford & Macclesfield closing to, no operation at all in Cheshire 

Rachvince53

Quote from: Vulcan on February 27, 2023, 10:15:58 PMBeen announced today Oswestry to close , operations be split between
Wrexham 2 & Shrewsbury X5 & 53 
Locals to be surrendered
Also Winsford & Macclesfield closing to, no operation at all in Cheshire
According to a spokesperson for Arriva North West, operations in the area effected by the closure of Winsford and Macclesfield have been losing money since before the pandemic. Attempts to find a solution have failed.

D & G Bus have registered replacement services for Arriva 31, 37 & 84 currently operated from Winsford depot (which is due to close on 22nd April).
Oswestry was transferred from Crosville Wales and operated as "Cambrian Midland Red" for a number of years. There are 5 services handed back to Shropshire CC for  retendering if deemed appropriate.

Depotosw

Quote from: Rachvince53 on March 04, 2023, 05:46:05 PMOswestry was transferred from Crosville Wales and operated as "Cambrian Midland Red" for a number of years. There are 5 services handed back to Shropshire CC for  retendering if deemed appropriate.

Time to add some local related comments to Oswestry. 3 of the services are actually only school contracts (54/71/405). The 449 is a AM and PM peak only service, Monday to Friday, the 79A is a once a day short run which comes back dead and operated off the back of other routes.

Shropshire Council have given funding for the 53, alongside a number of other Shropshire routes, the 53 is planned to move to Shrewsbury depot. The 53 has suffered badly after the timetable was hacked back in April 2022, no longer catering for all the existing passenger needs and silly instances of following the 2 around Gobowen at certain times of the day, rather than the previous 30 minute ish headway there.

Despite all the PR on the closure, the 2/2A/2C are good money making services, the X5 was increasing revenue after seeing numbers returning, despite the X4 cuts in April 2022. The issue is Oswestry garage rent has been increasing with subsequent increases over the last five years. The loss of the 576 wasn't ideal either late 2022.

There is a common member of management now between Midlands and North West, i.e. the engineering director title on internal notice for possible closure 'Engineering Director (ANW&W & Midlands)'. Many of the staff I've spoken to believe they feel there is an opportunity to now for Arriva to cut the overhead of Oswestry's premises, make Wrexham more profitable with the 2/2A/2C and Shrewsbury with the X5 and 53. 

And despite Shrewsbury depot managing decline more than Oswestry in recent years it continues, helped with dedicated and modern premises unlike the makeshift rented premises at Oswestry.       

Fin W

Is there a set date for when Oswestry closes?

Depotosw

Quote from: Fin W on April 23, 2023, 04:20:51 PMIs there a set date for when Oswestry closes?

2nd July is the proposed date at the moment driving staff have been informed, which may mean after operations complete on 1st July.

The plan is:

Contracts (mainly schools) pass to new operators 8th May, i.e. 54/71/79A and 405 to Tanat Valley. 449 should have passed on this date but already passed to Lakeside 17th April.

X5/10, 53 all move to Shrewsbuey depot on 8th May.

Wrexham 2/2A/2C services to pass to Arriva Cymru, Wrexham depot on 2nd July onwards its mentioned. 

Fin W

2s will be the only routes ran from Oswestry after the 8th may then?

Rachvince53

Quote from: Fin W on April 23, 2023, 07:25:04 PM2s will be the only routes ran from Oswestry after the 8th may then?
Yes. That's what it looks like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk