News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Dudley bus station revamp

Started by andrew1991, November 18, 2014, 03:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: 2206 on November 30, 2018, 10:49:14 PM
The bit about the public - surely the bus station staff should be enforcing that people stick to the foot paths and don't attempt to walk on the road behind reversing buses.

Very true @2206, but to be honest I have never seen anybody at Paignton bus station, and even at Dudley, bet there will only be 1 or 2 people on duty and having to watch everything that is going on is virtually impossible.

Plus we all remember what happened to 4305 a few weeks ago, if that had happened while the bus was parked on a stand awaiting it's next duty, not only would we have lost 1 bus, but other buses could have been caught in the incident, chaos while drivers are trying to reverse buses out of the way, and the bus would have been very near members of the public. We all hope that things like 4305 don't happen but things like trhat have to be considered.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Solo1

Why can't the new bus station be like the other bus statioin in the West Midlands why drive up.& back out it's better how it is now

markcf83

Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Ally

Quote from: 2206 on November 30, 2018, 10:49:14 PM
The bit about the public - surely the bus station staff should be enforcing that people stick to the foot paths and don't attempt to walk on the road behind reversing buses, significantly reducing that risk.

Unfortunately the public don't listen most of the time, I work in Bristol Bus and Coach Station and I'm forever yelling at people to tell them they can't be walking around outside for their own safety, some listen and are apologetic, most don't care, cyclists are the worst in my experience. Stepped in front of one to tell him a few weeks ago, he proceeded to completely ignore me, ride round me and very nearly ended up under the front of a First Gemini as it pulled in.

Bristol is "drive in, reverse out" format and given the amount of reversing accidents I've seen in the last few months, I'm surprised the health and safety care bears haven't outlawed those style layouts. Thankfully all of the accidents have been vehicle on vehicle - so far.

It's also easier for people to run out in front of a vehicle they've missed to stop it leaving, particularly if any fitted bus operated doors fail to close in time or fail altogether, as the reverse maneuver gives people time to run out and get in the way, compared to trying to keep up with a vehicle as it accelerates away from a standard layout stop. Don't get me wrong, you'd get this in any style station, but I find reverse outs the worst for it
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Westy

Lets hope they never consider changing the Walsall layout.

Don't forget that had a couple of accidents years ago & that was the conventional layout!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk