News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Wrightbus Streetdeck

Started by winston, October 29, 2014, 11:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

@Mike K - I don't think this demo livery does the new Wrightbus styling any favours......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/duffy469/18809545221/

Mike K

Quote from: Winston on June 16, 2015, 11:19:43 PM
@Mike K - I don't think this demo livery does the new Wrightbus styling any favours......

@Winston Jeez, I take it all back...

BK63 YWP

I think the nx liveries would suit the streetdeck but to me the design looks claustrophobic. Windows are tiny compared to the mmc...
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Bryan

Quote from: Winston on June 16, 2015, 11:19:43 PM

I think that rates as a contender for the worst design and livery combination of all time!

Roy

There is an interesting article in the new issue of Buses on the Brighton and Hove Streetdecks and I was pleased to read that he agreed with some of the points I made in a previous post on this thread. 

One of the main points made by the author was that they are underpowered making them the wrong choice on a route with many demanding hills - and far worse on the climbs than the Scania Omnidekkas that they replaced.

barry619

Quote from: Roy on June 18, 2015, 06:01:02 PM
There is an interesting article in the new issue of Buses on the Brighton and Hove Streetdecks and I was pleased to read that he agreed with some of the points I made in a previous post on this thread. 

One of the main points made by the author was that they are underpowered making them the wrong choice on a route with many demanding hills - and far worse on the climbs than the Scania Omnidekkas that they replaced.

I haven't read this article yet, but if B&H were expecting a heavy bus with a five-litre engine to perform as well on hills as one with a meaty nine-litre unit then they were deluding themselves. Of course it wasn't going to work like that. The small Daimler engine will, I have no doubt, work very well in city-type duties where there is a lot of stop-start and average speeds are low but anyone could have told them that waiting for Scania's Euro 6 double-decker chassis (which retains the nine-litre engine) would have been the best thing to do for the route they've now put the StreetDecks on.

I also presume that B&H's StreetDecks have four-speed Voith boxes in them. If they had selected a different vehicle they could have gone for the six-speed ZF, which would have also aided hill climbing a bit.

Sh4318

I really wish Lothian didn't get these.

Quote from: Mike K on June 16, 2015, 11:01:28 PM
The more I see of the new Gemini 3 body, the less ugly it becomes. The Lothian standard livery in particular makes most bus designs look good, although to be fair I'm sure the Lothian influenced NXWM crimson livery would do the same.

In terms of looks, still not a patch on the E400 MMC, although you suspect that the B5TL will be the better longer term investment.
I have to agree with you there
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Quote from: barry619 on June 19, 2015, 10:01:52 AM
I haven't read this article yet, but if B&H were expecting a heavy bus with a five-litre engine to perform as well on hills as one with a meaty nine-litre unit then they were deluding themselves. Of course it wasn't going to work like that. The small Daimler engine will, I have no doubt, work very well in city-type duties where there is a lot of stop-start and average speeds are low but anyone could have told them that waiting for Scania's Euro 6 double-decker chassis (which retains the nine-litre engine) would have been the best thing to do for the route they've now put the StreetDecks on.

I also presume that B&H's StreetDecks have four-speed Voith boxes in them. If they had selected a different vehicle they could have gone for the six-speed ZF, which would have also aided hill climbing a bit.

That's not always true, remember the Ailsa's only had small engines and they were certainly no slouches

barry619

They didn't weight over 11 tonnes and have five-litre engines. The gearbox is the problem in the StreetDeck, the MetroDecker has the same engine and a six-speed ZF and goes like the proverbial. Optare just need to sell some now...

Tiptonian

Quote from: barry619 on June 19, 2015, 07:48:32 PM
They didn't weight over 11 tonnes and have five-litre engines. The gearbox is the problem in the StreetDeck, the MetroDecker has the same engine and a six-speed ZF and goes like the proverbial. Optare just need to sell some now...

Yes, the Voith does tend to "strangle" any engine to which it is attached. To travel on a MCW Metrobus over Clee Hill was somewhere between embarrassment and agony! The StreetDeck brochure states there is a choice of transmission (if they are available yet), ZF, Daimler G90 AMT, as well as the Voith. Hopefully, as different versions appear, we will see these buses perform as they should.  I didn't know there was a MetroDecker on the road. Any passenger insight would be greatly appreciated, and yes, the order book is looking a little sad at the moment.

barry619

There are certainly three MetroDeckers that have been completed: the blue one which is to TfL spec, a longer-wheelbase provincial spec orange one, and a third which was used/is being used for destructive testing at Millbrook. I don't know whether any of the first two have carried passengers yet, although the design definitely has merit. The problem is that the market for double-deckers is competitive and there are some other good products in the market - that and the Optare badge, unfortunately...

Mike K

The Lothian B5LHs are shortly to enter service. With the large rear overhang these definitely look better in this long wheelbase version:

http://lothianbuses.com/news/article/new-hybrid-buses-to-join-the-lothian-buses-fleet

Impressive continued investment by Lothian in hybrids.

JoNi

https://www.flickr.com/gp/92409298@N06/kEi0xD https://www.flickr.com/gp/92409298@N06/2F9Nz6

Good bus! Cumfy seats, all mod cons, Volvo B5 that allows the bus to take any incline in its stride, the main one is on a diversion in Clermiston while the road is resurfaced west of Murrayfield!

Bob

Intetesting about the Voiths strangling any engine. Is that why SB200s with their small engines tend to sound like theyre going to explode just pulling off from a stop ( even more so if its on even a small incline) ive always thought "this cant be healthy for the vehicle, requiring all this extra stressjust to move!"

Ashley 60171

Had a ride on First South Yorkshire 35101 yesterday.

A simple review

Basically a jazzed up Voith B9TL, performance on par with that type, doesn't struggle on hills or fast stretches. They look as though they are low height but managed to stand up straight upstairs without losing any more of my head. Well ventilated too despite the small windows. Few rattles and creaks. Only downside is the First chocolate éclair interior ie bland but simply and tidy despite a few seat back scribbles. Could see myself warming to them faster than these MMC's.

The other Streetdeck design is basically a failed design for a 21st century Blackpool balloon tram but would possibly get a similar critique to the above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk