News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Central Buses

Started by Lukeee, May 24, 2012, 09:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gac_uk

Staffordshire C.C's publicity is slightly premature as the registration is still pending approval from the Traffic Commissioner. Interestingly the cost to change the bus stop flag's and roadside timetables between Sutton Coldfield and Blake Street for this service is around £2000 (and same again if the service doesn't work in six months time)..I noted the thread recently on this forum regarding lack of commercial innovation from small bus operators; perhaps this could be a reason why?

Steveminor

Well mate if you look at other areas outside the West Midlands there is no charge for timetables & stop flags, there is also a lot more innovation of service, so yeah I deffinately think this could be the reason. As I posted earlier when NX changed the 14 to 14A AMPM were "forced" to change along with them (when Centro just took the 14A off stop plates without asking what AMPM were doing regarding numbering). This effectively ended our plans to innovate the service 14A as it would have been TOO expensive to not only pay for the stops on the extension but also every other stop along the route.
It's a shame really as it would have provided an exciting new link for a LOT of people " but hey Centro isn't in it for the "travelling" public are they

bususer12

Quote from: Steveminor on April 19, 2013, 06:51:38 AM
Well mate if you look at other areas outside the West Midlands there is no charge for timetables & stop flags, there is also a lot more innovation of service, so yeah I deffinately think this could be the reason. As I posted earlier when NX changed the 14 to 14A AMPM were "forced" to change along with them (when Centro just took the 14A off stop plates without asking what AMPM were doing regarding numbering). This effectively ended our plans to innovate the service 14A as it would have been TOO expensive to not only pay for the stops on the extension but also every other stop along the route.
It's a shame really as it would have provided an exciting new link for a LOT of people " but hey Centro isn't in it for the "travelling" public are they

So you worked for AMPM then? Thoughts on the 246?

Steveminor

246 is a busy route & took plenty of money for AMPM trouble was the timings weren't quite right causing the buses to run late too often. When we tried to alter the timings we couldn't get the departure slots we wanted from the bus stations without going on a stand too far away from NXWM, also 800 was the only bus with(we felt )sufficient power for the Dudley regions hills & that bus as you know was for sale and ended up with Hansons. Then when one of the drivers was attacked during the Dudley EDF march we had staffing issues with drivers refusing to go anywhere near Dudley. Put it all together & you're completely wasting your time trying to run it, so we cancelled a perfectly reasonable service. Revenue wise (cash & concessions) it was on a par with the 14 but without the extra insurance cost, so was more profitable.

richie

Quote from: Steveminor on April 20, 2013, 07:12:33 AM
246 is a busy route & took plenty of money for AMPM trouble was the timings weren't quite right causing the buses to run late too often. When we tried to alter the timings we couldn't get the departure slots we wanted from the bus stations without going on a stand too far away from NXWM, also 800 was the only bus with(we felt )sufficient power for the Dudley regions hills & that bus as you know was for sale and ended up with Hansons. Then when one of the drivers was attacked during the Dudley EDF march we had staffing issues with drivers refusing to go anywhere near Dudley. Put it all together & you're completely wasting your time trying to run it, so we cancelled a perfectly reasonable service. Revenue wise (cash & concessions) it was on a par with the 14 but without the extra insurance cost, so was more profitable.

What sort of company is at the mercy of its staff as to where they will operate?

winston

Quote from: richie on April 21, 2013, 05:52:04 AM

What sort of company is at the mercy of its staff as to where they will operate?

Also any incident during an EDF march wouldn't be a norm whilst driving in Dudley, I know where I've rather drive Dudley or Alum Rock....... no contest  :o

PM

Quote from: richie on April 21, 2013, 05:52:04 AM

Perhaps a company that values the safety of its drivers maybe?? Steve would probably agree.....

Tony

I have removed a sting of comments from here as they have absolutely nothing to do with Central Buses - see heading, and I received several complaints about a complete town being called racist (my step-father currently lives in Tamworth so I am there regularly)

Steveminor

Well I did create a new thread hoping to that any posts wod go there rather than hijack this threa, however I won't apologise for what I have seen with my own eyes. Not everyone but a large proportion of racism & that is my one pet hate there can be no excuse or defense for it.

Back on topic I would love to have seen Central buses go head to head with Rotala on the Solihull network, it would have been interesting to see how loyal the passengers are to Rotala when a quality operator comes along. Before anyone complains I'm not suggesting Rotala aren't a quality operator just pointing out that Central buses are a very very good company.

winston

PD1021409/60 - CEN GROUP LIMITED, UNIT 14A, TAMEBRIDGE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, ALDRIDGE ROAD, PERRY BARR, BIRMINGHAM, B42 2TX

Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: SUTTON COLDFIELD, LOWER PARADE
    Finish Point: LINCHFIELD BUS STATION
    Via:
    Service Number: 92
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 30-MAY-2013
    Other Details: MERE GREEN, HILL HOOK, SHENSTONE

Demo Optare Versa YJ61JHF on route76 this morning

Solo1

Central Buses have a new trident wonder
if this will be used on the new 92 service
or another service

Ash

Linchfield must be a typo for Lichfield

John

Quote from: Solo1 on May 21, 2013, 06:41:56 AM
Central Buses have a new trident wonder
if this will be used on the new 92 service
or another service

I would think more likely for schools, maybe as an increase to D/D workings, or to replace an Olympian.

It would be nice to see it on other services though!!

gac_uk

The Trident has been acquired for school work only, although it may cover local bus work on rare occasions

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk