News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

London Buses.

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don

Quote from: barry619 on September 13, 2015, 12:40:12 PM
It has been designed in collaboration with TfL, hence the similarity with the New RM 'look'.

I believe this will extend to the inside as well.

TfL has a lot to answer for as a result of this new Routemaster vanity project:-

1) A bus designed to fit a need which doesn't exist
2) Committing vast public expense to commissioning a new designed vehicle unnecessarily - the old Routemaster took many years to become reliable and was probably a silly and unnecessary expense even back then
3) The design appears to be based on an artistic vision rather than practical reality - it's as if someone who knows nothing about buses or even quirky London buses has looked at a set of pictures of an NS; a Metropolitan; a Routemaster interior and incredibly, the side view of an XA/XF. (London had 58 in total!!) The front upper deck is pure Northern Counties Fleetline (as fitted to early Walsall ones).
4) Unsurprisingly, the engineering details are coming home to roost - I have the utmost respect for Wrights but I suspect much of the nonsense has been imposed on them by the beaurocracy and pet ideas of TfL

What's more the pity is that, as with many generations of public transport, London being the largest buyer, some of these quirky and quite honestly stupid ideas impact on the whole industry and country. For example white on black blinds - ok at night -vastly inferior in daylight, font for font unless they are LED. The proportions of the MCW Orion body disappeared with the 60s - they tended to produce a rather oppressive atmosphere lacking light - all swept away later by deeper windows giving a much lighter and airy feel. One has only to compare a BCT with a WMPTE Fleetline to see - I don't buy any of the practical reasoning (less sun gain - marginal at the least; lighter weight - well why are weight conscious car manufacturers marketing cars with longer glazed roof areas?) - the real reason is the artists who designed the new Routemaster chose those proportions, Wrights have transferred it to Gemini 3 (presumably for production economy) and TfL have to justify the NBFL so support the idea. What about the poor old bus passenger in this?

Boris is a shrewd political operator who has made a public image of appearing an affable buffoon upper class twit - the Londoners love him - and probably still would even if he started world war 3. As an enthusiast I quite like the NBFL as part of the London street scape. I suspect that as long as a bus is red, has two decks is relatively quiet and comfortable then 9.5 out of ten people wouldn't know the difference between an E400 a Gemini 3 or a NBFL.

Many people have long thought LT and its successor TfL to be overweight beurocracies - that they can occasionally resemble the Ministry for Bloody Daft Ideas is rather a shame - that they get foisted on the rest of the populace is a major issue.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

James4368

M6 Coleshill 12ish

2 Arriva London Borismasters with Trade Plates passed towards rugby direction
Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: nxwmbusfan1999 on September 29, 2015, 01:41:12 PM
M6 Coleshill 12ish

2 Arriva London Borismasters with Trade Plates passed towards rugby direction

Numerous ones were noted at Heysham over the weekend, they are due to go to Arriva for the 149.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

CL

Better than the CGI mockup; still a distressing mess. Here's the E400H City:
https://flic.kr/p/yZeTTe
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

barry619

Quote from: clayderman on September 30, 2015, 04:00:02 PM
Better than the CGI mockup; still a distressing mess. Here's the E400H City:
https://flic.kr/p/yZeTTe
A 'distressing mess', then. I presume you've had a look at it in the flesh to make that judgement?

Mike K

Quote from: barry619 on October 01, 2015, 08:08:07 PM
A 'distressing mess', then. I presume you've had a look at it in the flesh to make that judgement?

I don't see why he shouldn't pass an opinion without having seen it in the flesh. I've never seen Susan Boyle in the flesh but I can say with absolute confidence that I wouldn't want to sleep with her.

Dutsey

It is all about opinions, IMHO that looks rather smart and will fit in with the route masters

barry619

Quote from: Mike K on October 02, 2015, 07:07:02 AM
I don't see why he shouldn't pass an opinion without having seen it in the flesh. I've never seen Susan Boyle in the flesh but I can say with absolute confidence that I wouldn't want to sleep with her.

It's more the use of the word 'distressing' that is the absurd part of what he has to say. It is not 'distressing', and nor is any bus ever designed, unless you happen to be of questionable emotional state. It's a lump of metal, plastic, glass and rubber, nothing more.

Stuharris 6360

Couple of bits of news from London

"The Wrightbus "New Bus for London" model type has been changed. Initially, the model was "New Bus for London" and the
model type was "NBFL", as stamped on the body plate by Wrightbus. These are now referred to as "Generation-1" and
applies to all buses up to LT516***. From there onwards, the buses have a modified rear door and are referred to as
"Generation-2", with the model now being "New Routemaster" and the model type being "NRM" as stamped on the body
plate by Wrightbus. The Genaration-2 models are now registered officially as "New Routemaster" on the registration
documents and this is all separate to the name plates affixed to the rear staircase."

Metroline Route 390 is currently operating with several VWs each day to allow battery changes to take place!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Been in London today, was on VH18 around 16:30 on the 13 towards Aldwych, always thought the B5LHs were reliable, but the bus ground to a halt in Finchley Road, driver said he had lost the steering.

tphi12000

LT592 was parked outside ATS in Lichfield(Eastern Avenue ) at 1.30  today .
Tony

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: tphi12000 on October 11, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
LT592 was parked outside ATS in Lichfield(Eastern Avenue ) at 1.30  today .

Another of the ones going to Arriva London at Tottenham for the 149!

barry619

The BYD electric 'decker is at Busworld in Kortrijk as booked. It has received the green 'leaves' adornments of the other electric buses already in London, is blinded for the 98s and carried fleetnumber BYD1471.

Stuharris 6360

TFL have been examining the options available for running a bus service on Xmas Day

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tomf1993 on October 20, 2015, 09:02:48 PM
Battersea is huge they have space, they have stored E200s TA DART RM and the rest of the junk will have to move out though. plus BC is being rebuilt. bus garages always look bigger then they are.  Stu have you see GAL Q at night lol their buses are all lined up down camberwell station road and out on to camberwell new road its funny lol no cars can pass down station road. all garages have this run in problems

@Tomf1993 Will move this conversation into this thread!

Haven't seen Q at night, but have seen BN and that is bad enough, buses absolutely everywhere. Even parked in the bus stops on the opposite side of the road and meaning you have to be careful that the night bus doesn't fly past you in the middle of the night!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk