News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Withdrawn Vehicles

Started by Ashley, November 01, 2013, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley 60171

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 07, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Don't think any of the Volvo B6LE 501-683 batch [and the Excels] sold have found new homes as runners, they've practically all gone for scrap (possibly 669 aside). Its the same for Volvo B10B 13xx batch and the later B10L examples (although 1468 was sold to South & City College in Sept 2013 and 1513 to Unite Union on June 2013, for non-PCV work). To-date no Mercedes 0405N/GN's have been sold as runners - presumably the same fate awaits the Spectras and the Plaxton Presidents.

I would like to see and would think Presidents would get sold on as runners. I thought they were DDA but an expert could confirm or deny.

Stevo

Quote from: paulb1973 on July 07, 2015, 08:29:04 PM
Don't think any of the Volvo B6LE 501-683 batch [and the Excels] sold have found new homes as runners, they've practically all gone for scrap (possibly 669 aside). Its the same for Volvo B10B 13xx batch and the later B10L examples (although 1468 was sold to South & City College in Sept 2013 and 1513 to Unite Union on June 2013, for non-PCV work). To-date no Mercedes 0405N/GN's have been sold as runners - presumably the same fate awaits the Spectras and the Plaxton Presidents.
No - McColl of Balloch was so impressed with his TWM Metrobuses that he bought a number of B6LEs for his local services around Dumbarton. He also had one or two of the ex Hotel Hoppa B6LEs. This was a few years ago now, though, when they were first withdrawn.

Tony

Quote from: Stevo on July 07, 2015, 09:35:51 PM
No - McColl of Balloch was so impressed with his TWM Metrobuses that he bought a number of B6LEs for his local services around Dumbarton. He also had one or two of the ex Hotel Hoppa B6LEs. This was a few years ago now, though, when they were first withdrawn.

Although he brought them from TWM, none had run and were all ex Hotel Hoppas

The Real 4778

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on July 07, 2015, 08:37:39 PM
I would like to see and would think Presidents would get sold on as runners. I thought they were DDA but an expert could confirm or deny.

By 'DDA' I presume you mean DDA-compliant?  They comply with the regulations and standards of the Disability Discrimination Act in force at the time they were ordered, yes.  However, standards have moved on since then, so they won't necessarily comply with these without modification. 

They are also limited by emissions regs as to where they can be used, plus, as someone else has said, far newer Presidents are already in the market displaced from the smoke, so I wouldn't hold out much hope if any that 4025-4114 will see any further use.
Don't you start.

Tony

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 08, 2015, 07:20:39 PM
By 'DDA' I presume you mean DDA-compliant?  They comply with the regulations and standards of the Disability Discrimination Act in force at the time they were ordered, yes.  However, standards have moved on since then, so they won't necessarily comply with these without modification. 

They are also limited by emissions regs as to where they can be used, plus, as someone else has said, far newer Presidents are already in the market displaced from the smoke, so I wouldn't hold out much hope if any that 4025-4114 will see any further use.

They do meet current DDA regulations, they were brought up to standard when they were refurbished

Stevo

4023 was Volvo's very first low floor double decker. It would be good if someone preserved it. Or 4028, which was the 1999 show vehicle.

4023: I had no idea this was volvos first low floor double decker, definitely candidate for presivation I would have thought.

The Real 4778

Quote from: Tony on July 08, 2015, 07:23:51 PM
They do meet current DDA regulations, they were brought up to standard when they were refurbished

Thanks Tony, I wasn't sure if they did, which is why I said 'they don't necessarily meet' current regs.
Don't you start.

Tony

WN 640 & WB 1671 have probably run their last

Stevo

Thinking about it, strictly speaking 4023 was only Volvo's second low floor decker as in 1998 at the NEC show Volvo had the very first President, to London spec., on the B7L chassis, with in-line engine. I don't think it ever ran in service, though, as it was thought too long for service in London, so the transverse engined B7TL was developed in something of a rush.

Tiptonian

Re. B7L, If I remember correctly, it was the rear overhang, and the resulting swing out that London objected to for central London after experience with a fleet of Volvo B10Bs. I understand Dennis were put in the same position, as their low floor DD was to be based on the Lance SLF/ Arrow concept. With that requirement, the course of double decker development was changed. Later, the same body deemed articulated single deckers acceptable.

Mercedes1665

640 gone oh no that is was a great b6 it had good power for a b6 and it had good bodywork will miss that one a lot didn't go on it that long ago
Will miss 1515-1743, Volvo B6LE, Dennis darts, spectras and the Volvo B10s

PM

Quote from: Tiptonian on July 10, 2015, 12:22:32 AM
Re. B7L, If I remember correctly, it was the rear overhang, and the resulting swing out that London objected to for central London after experience with a fleet of Volvo B10Bs. I understand Dennis were put in the same position, as their low floor DD was to be based on the Lance SLF/ Arrow concept. With that requirement, the course of double decker development was changed. Later, the same body deemed articulated single deckers acceptable.

The irony as well is the current, less than ideal B5LH chassis with resulting long overhang actually reminds me of the B7L which wasn't that popular in single deck form, except with First, either.

The original prototype B7L PLAXTON president never saw service, a few years a go I did see it for sale minus its engine and gearbox I wander if it's still in the same yard still. A bus ahead of its time for sure, I read some where VOLVO are big fans of inline drivetrain all this transverse layout not really there cup of tea as so to speak.

Stevo

I was in Derby yesterday and the Wright StreetDeck 4600 was in the bus station not in service. I had a good look - the thing was the rear overhang was the same as a transverse engined vehicle. Presumably the 4 cylinder Merc engine fits under the rear seat, but at the back it looked exactly like a transverse engined bus. Ugly as hell at the front!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk