News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Withdrawn Vehicles

Started by Ashley, November 01, 2013, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4130Quinton

Quote from: Stevo on June 30, 2015, 07:16:20 PM
Thanks - it must be that one that I was thinking of. We still don't know what 1743 was doing in before 2/99 if it was finished by UVG before their closure a year earlier.

Thats often the case of demonstrators even going back to the earliest days. Recently looking up the history of BCT prototype Leyland PD2 296 (HOJ 396) and its existence and role before being delivered to Birmingham in Sept 1947 is shrouded in mystery, no records even exist of it being built on the production line!! Back to 1743 its a bus I really like and now the only UVG example still in service.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: 4130Quinton on June 30, 2015, 09:51:03 PM
Thats often the case of demonstrators even going back to the earliest days. Recently looking up the history of BCT prototype Leyland PD2 296 (HOJ 396) and its existence and role before being delivered to Birmingham in Sept 1947 is shrouded in mystery, no records even exist of it being built on the production line!! Back to 1743 its a bus I really like and now the only UVG example still in service.

Interesting that 1518 has vanished from the bsck wall of the garage, either gone up to the car park or to Miller Street i would assume?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: 4130Quinton on June 30, 2015, 09:51:03 PM

I believe 1743 was caught up in the UVG collapse and was half finished at at the time of collapse.

It was later finished by Mercxedes in Yorkshire for its demonstrator use

Exactly what did UVG on these mercs, complete vehicle builds or bits and pieces, as I understand it these mercs have integral chassis and body is that correct

Stevo

I once saw one parked at the Mercedes dealer near Aston Crosson the way to Evobus in Barnsley. It was just a framework and lower panels with no windows, floor, ceiling, etc. You could see rust forming on the upright steel sections between the windows even then.  It was in effect just a chassis, but since the 0405N was a chassisless integral the structure had to include side and roof sections.

The Real 4778

What's the Trident now sitting on Death Row at Miller Street?
Don't you start.

John

Quote from: The Real 4778 on July 04, 2015, 08:59:57 AM
What's the Trident now sitting on Death Row at Miller Street?

Pretty sure it's 4355

Quote from: John on July 04, 2015, 09:03:28 AM
Pretty sure it's 4355

It sure is. It's sandwiched with 4077, 4050 and 4007

winston

PN Mercs 1629 & 1642 are both now withdrawn parked facing the fence

The Real 4778

Quote from: Winston on July 06, 2015, 02:30:28 PM
PN Mercs 1629 & 1642 are both now withdrawn parked facing the fence

Must be down to the last 34 or so.  Feels like a really rapid withdrawal.
Don't you start.

Withdrawals once they take hold  its quick back in 99 when 50 plus mercs arrived it seemed over night the Lynx and mk1 metrobuses vanished.

So 2015 will see the end of optares, Mercedes , Volvo B6 and B10L in normal service, how the years have flown by it only seems like yesterday these were new.
Will the optares be sold on for further use? What's the book value?
I bet the PLAXTON volvos will be sold on , i,ve seen one of thandi,s  Volvo b7tl for sale £20k he wants all refurbed and in good nick.

Stevo

The trouble with the Plaxtons is their age. There's a glut of newer London ones on the market, plus Dublin bus ones now. I miss seeing old WM buses with other operators. Since the Metrobuses little has seen further service. The Scania N113s did as they were sold off early, but few B6s have seen further service - just McColl of Balloch and I think all of his are gone.

The Real 4778

Personally I don't see the Spectras being used in PSV service after their life with WM. They are a numerically small and non-standard type.
Don't you start.

paulb1973

Don't think any of the Volvo B6LE 501-683 batch [and the Excels] sold have found new homes as runners, they've practically all gone for scrap (possibly 669 aside). Its the same for Volvo B10B 13xx batch and the later B10L examples (although 1468 was sold to South & City College in Sept 2013 and 1513 to Unite Union on June 2013, for non-PCV work). To-date no Mercedes 0405N/GN's have been sold as runners - presumably the same fate awaits the Spectras and the Plaxton Presidents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk