News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Post your favourite bus videos

Started by Sh4318, October 06, 2013, 09:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: Matt on April 08, 2014, 11:11:32 PM
Could not resist sharing this one. This is why the oldest Tridents are the best... (serious thrash alert!)

Around 20 of that batch were meant to be joining the TWM fleet at one point & some were refurbished at Walsall Paintshop, then Travel London won some additional work which saw them return to London & plans changed

nitromatt1

Quote from: Liverpool Street on April 09, 2014, 12:09:04 PM
Could not resist sharing this one. This is why the oldest Tridents are the best... (serious thrash alert!)

Shoot, how fast was that thing going!?

Comments on the video say that the KGW's have upgraded engines, compared to normal Tridents, and a 6 speed gearbox? I thought they were 4 speed. Either way, they are indeed capable of some serious speed. TGB have five from this batch at Hockley (115, 116, 121, 122, 123) and more in Surrey.

They also have a proper kickdown, like Olympians, unlike newer Tridents!

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2014, 02:05:55 PM

Comments on the video say that the KGW's have upgraded engines, compared to normal Tridents, and a 6 speed gearbox? I thought they were 4 speed. Either way, they are indeed capable of some serious speed. TGB have five from this batch at Hockley (115, 116, 121, 122, 123) and more in Surrey.

Hahahahahaha

I drove several of these between Walsall and Battersea when Walsall did Battersea garage's repaints! Several have speed limiters fitted at 39mph, not good fun when you are on the M6/M1. They all have 4 speed gearboxes, and in general drive exactly the same as the 41xx tridents at Walsall and BC. The ones that haven't got speed limiters set at 39mph are capable of about 52 mph much the same as NX ones which are normally set at 50mph. I cannot imagine Green bus have changed any engines or gearbox spec since I drove them them. When I asked Battersea if they could release the 39mph limit for my motorway runs I was told even that was quite a time consuming task, to difficult for two motorway runs, so I expect even those are still set the same

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2014, 03:33:33 PM

Hahahahahaha

I drove several of these between Walsall and Battersea when Walsall did Battersea garage's repaints! Several have speed limiters fitted at 39mph, not good fun when you are on the M6/M1. They all have 4 speed gearboxes, and in general drive exactly the same as the 41xx tridents at Walsall and BC. The ones that haven't got speed limiters set at 39mph are capable of about 52 mph much the same as NX ones which are normally set at 50mph. I cannot imagine Green bus have changed any engines or gearbox spec since I drove them them. When I asked Battersea if they could release the 39mph limit for my motorway runs I was told even that was quite a time consuming task, to difficult for two motorway runs, so I expect even those are still set the same

39mph limiters? I don't think so. The YN51s are limited somewhere in that region.  The same as the 41xx?  I don't think so either. Euro 2 ZF against Euro 3 Voith, quite a difference if you ask me

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2014, 05:58:44 PM

Hahahahahaha

39mph limiters? I don't think so. The YN51s are limited somewhere in that region.  The same as the 41xx?  I don't think so either. Euro 2 ZF against Euro 3 Voith, quite a difference if you ask me

As I said it is random buses that are limited to 39mph from all batches I don't know if Green Bus have any limited ones, I never kept a note of which were, just cursed when acceleration stopped happening on the motorway, I never knew if it was one until I hit the bottom of the M1 coming north, you never get above 39mph within London. It made about 20 minutes difference in the time it took to make the journey. As for your second point have you driven one? Well I have driven about 40 of the London ones and about 50 of the NX ones, yes the engines & gearboxes are different, but they drive very much the same. They both weigh about the same and the engines are about the same power output.

Try not being a know it all until you do!

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2014, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2014, 05:58:44 PM

Hahahahahaha

As I said it is random buses that are limited to 39mph from all batches I don't know if Green Bus have any limited ones, I never kept a note of which were, just cursed when acceleration stopped happening on the motorway, I never knew if it was one until I hit the bottom of the M1 coming north, you never get above 39mph within London. It made about 20 minutes difference in the time it took to make the journey. As for your second point have you driven one? Well I have driven about 40 of the London ones and about 50 of the NX ones, yes the engines & gearboxes are different, but they drive very much the same. They both weigh about the same and the engines are about the same power output.

Try not being a know it all until you do!

For heaven's sake Tony, show a little respect. It cannot be difficult to be a little more polite when correcting people.  Of course I don't "know it all", but neither do you. As for Tridents, I prefer the oldest Euro 2 ZF's over any others. That is my opinion. Everyone's opinion is valid.

Tony

No, I don't know it all, but I posted two facts that I do know
1) Several Connex/Travel London/Abellio Tridents have speed limiters fitted set at around 39mph
2) These buses drive the same as NX's Y reg tridents (not that they have the same engines/gearboxes, just that they drive the same)

You showed no respect by trying to say I was wrong on both accounts.

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2014, 07:48:45 PM
1) Several Connex/Travel London/Abellio Tridents have speed limiters fitted set at around 39mph
2) These buses drive the same as NX's Y reg tridents (not that they have the same engines/gearboxes, just that they drive the same)

I know about the YN51 Tridents' limiters, but I did not know about any V-KGWs having them, are you sure any of the V-KGWs had limiters at all? (9701-9730.)

What exactly do you mean by "they drive the same"?

I said "I don't think so" not "No, you are wrong"

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2014, 07:57:22 PM

I know about the YN51 Tridents' limiters, but I did not know about any V-KGWs having them, are you sure any of the V-KGWs had limiters at all? (9701-9730.)

Every single bus has a speed limiter nowadays, it just depends on what speed they are set at. NXWM set all theirs at 50mph at the moment (except a few oddities like 4309 which is set at 38mph) Travel London had a purge of setting random buses from all batches between 9701 & 9816 the same as 4309 at around 38mph the others were normally around 52mph There was no logic to which ones were done. I could say take 9772 down to London at 52mph, get given 9771 to bring home and curse as soon as I got to Staples Corner. When I picked up a bus at Battersea to bring back to Walsall you couldn't tell what the limiter was driving it around London. The acceleration, braking and general driving charactoristics were very similar to the NXWM ones I was driving in service at Walsall at the same time. I had no preference between the two types which I would prefer to drive

PM

You were pretty rude initially Matt as "I don't think so" x2 is deliberately dismissive and patronising as is "if you ask me". Especially when people who have driven tridents probably know more... How many days have you been allowed back on again?

nitromatt1

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2014, 08:17:57 PM

Every single bus has a speed limiter nowadays, it just depends on what speed they are set at. NXWM set all theirs at 50mph at the moment (except a few oddities like 4309 which is set at 38mph) Travel London had a purge of setting random buses from all batches between 9701 & 9816 the same as 4309 at around 38mph the others were normally around 52mph There was no logic to which ones were done. I could say take 9772 down to London at 52mph, get given 9771 to bring home and curse as soon as I got to Staples Corner. When I picked up a bus at Battersea to bring back to Walsall you couldn't tell what the limiter was driving it around London. The acceleration, braking and general driving charactoristics were very similar to the NXWM ones I was driving in service at Walsall at the same time. I had no preference between the two types which I would prefer to drive

I gather the limiters limit only top speed then and not power output? So, for example pulling out of a hard shoulder on the motorway, 4309 would match 4310 up to 38mph?

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 09, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2014, 08:17:57 PM

I gather the limiters limit only top speed then and not power output? So, for example pulling out of a hard shoulder on the motorway, 4309 would match 4310 up to 38mph?

Correct, done purely on road speed, not engine speed or output

karl724223

Has you know who suddenly got a bus licence and gained many years if experience over night

nitromatt1

nitromatt1

2:13 to about 3:13 on this. Or 6:35 onwards. Spectra-cular. Quite a thrash!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk