News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

The high level platform at Lichfield TV is out of use due to unspecified damage until at least the end of the week.
What appears to be a secret unless you are on the gensheet group is that this means there is no access to the up LL platforn other than via a minibus shuttle from the station to the Burton Old Road carpark.

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Gareth

If the problem is track repairs, say it's track repairs. Surely 'there might be a defect the vehicles, we don't know, it's potential so we'll blame that anyway' is just a way of making people think that there's so many issues they have no option other than close it.

Westy

Any more issues & it's going to start rivalling the Metro for non reliability!

Stuharris 6360

From what I have been able to find out, the wheels on the 139s have damaged the track and so a thorough survey of the track has needed to be carried out and presumably remedial work on the 139s as well.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Roy

Stourbridge Town branch now expected to be closed until end of day on Sunday.

Stuharris 6360

Services on the Stourbridge Town branch recommenced on Wednesday 11/05/22 using 139002.

However, just went past the station and 002 has developed another fault and so the service is currently not running again!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

the trainbasher

The Town line is not having much luck at the moment. There was some discussion on RailUK Forums about it...

Quote from: High Dyke - RailUK Forums
 Seemingly a rough ride was reported across the points that access the Town branch, and remedial track repairs undertaken. However, I also understand one of the train units is out of traffic for repairs and the second unit requires inspection following the rough ride report.

Quote from: 172007 - RailUK ForumsI believe that 137 yards of check rail has to be replaced and both 139's inspected by a rolling stock technician before anything can move.

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/stourbridge-shuttle-suspended-08-05-2022.231425/

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Unit back up and running this afternoon.

mikestone

Can anyone confirm Perry Barr re-opened on 29th May?

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mikestone

Thanks - I'd seen those but the BBC one issued last Sunday said opening on Sunday - not opening today, while the WMR one said "set to open it's doors" with no mention since.

Ginger66

Forthcoming railway strike listened to the clip about closing tickets offices. Surely most bus stations have lost their ticket offices due to the way their passengers travel and tickets are now eTickets meaning you don't have to go to a ticket office to buy them you can buy from local shop before travel.  Surely it will be the same with trains stations and companies the way you sell your products, if 80% is now eTickets ie there train pass is on mobile phone surely you will have to adapt your business and it will be saft having someone just sitting there not selling tickets. You have to use the resources to the best of the availability

Dom

QuoteForthcoming railway strike listened to the clip about closing tickets offices. Surely most bus stations have lost their ticket offices due to the way their passengers travel and tickets are now eTickets meaning you don't have to go to a ticket office to buy them you can buy from local shop before travel.  Surely it will be the same with trains stations and companies the way you sell your products, if 80% is now eTickets ie there train pass is on mobile phone surely you will have to adapt your business and it will be saft having someone just sitting there not selling tickets. You have to use the resources to the best of the availability

Booking office staff on the railway do more than just sell tickets. E Tickets are a popular way for people to purchase their tickets, but have flaws. It leads to potential fare evasion (With the simplicity for passengers to purchase child rate tickets, add railcards they don't have or simply not buy one at all). 

How do you know that it's 80% E tickets?

Tony

QuoteBooking office staff on the railway do more than just sell tickets. E Tickets are a popular way for people to purchase their tickets, but have flaws. It leads to potential fare evasion (With the simplicity for passengers to purchase child rate tickets, add railcards they don't have or simply not buy one at all).

How do you know that it's 80% E tickets?
I never use e-tickets when I am travelling for work, a nice paper ticket and receipt is far easier to attach to my expenses form.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk