News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Fare rise and ticket changes July 2023

Started by Ginger66, June 18, 2023, 08:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Tony on July 16, 2023, 09:30:05 AMThe nBus hasn't expanded at all. It is just NX decided to accept it on their services

Thank you Tony, that confirms my understanding.

So to answer an earlier question, yes you can buy an nBus £4.50 day ticket on an NXWM X3 in Lichfield and use it to travel to Kings Heath on a Diamond 50 - or to (say) Knowle or Wythall which are both in the nBus area but not served by NX buses.

Only National Express accept nBus tickets outside the nBus area (to the best of my knowledge).

Also, it was possible before the fares change to purchase an nBus ticket on NX buses using a debit card.  I did several times.  As Tony says, the rule then and now is to ask the driver for an nBus ticket before putting the debit card on the reader.

Rachvince53

Quote from: Tony on July 16, 2023, 09:30:05 AMThe nBus hasn't expanded at all. It is just NX decided to accept it on their services
Okay thanks for the clarification.  I thought it had been expanded to include other operators on common sections of route.

JPC

So does a "NX Daysaver extra" actually exist or is it just a marketing term for the benefit of residents/travellers outside the nBus area and travellers asking for it will still receive a nBus day ticket?

Rachvince53

Quote from: JPC on July 16, 2023, 12:32:42 PMSo does a "NX Daysaver extra" actually exist or is it just a marketing term for the benefit of residents/travellers outside the nBus area and travellers asking for it will still receive a nBus day ticket?
This does exist. Costing the same as the nBus (£4.50) it is valid on any NX buses beyond the nBus area such as Cannock and Bromsgrove provided YOU START or FINISH within the West Midlands.  Unlike the nBus, it is not valid on other operators. 

JPC

Quote from: Rachvince53 on July 16, 2023, 05:40:32 PMThis does exist. Costing the same as the nBus (£4.50) it is valid on any NX buses beyond the nBus area such as Cannock and Bromsgrove provided YOU START or FINISH within the West Midlands.  Unlike the nBus, it is not valid on other operators.

To quote from the NX website 'NX daysaver extra' is actually valid... on NX services only to, from or between locations outside the nBus zone - essentially what regional daysaver used to do?.

There still seems to be a conflict/poor clarity from NX in the actual validity of one day nBus which again quoting from the NX website is valid... on all bus operators that are part of the nBus scheme within the West Midlands zone so is this only valid within the nBus area or does it also cover the mapped West Midlands zone i.e everything operated by NX (defeating the purpose of a 'NX daysaver extra') (?)

sonic84

I'd also like to know as the website does seem to suggest these are different tickets with different validity

Justin Tyme

Well, I think we can say that the plan to simplify tickets hasn't succeeded.  If we enthusiasts can't be certain, how about the general public?

Really I think that TfWM, as co-ordinators of nBus ticketing, should state on their website which ticket is available where, and which operators issue/accept them.

Anyway, I will continue to ask for an nBus day ticket!

suavegarv

So there's two different £4.50 tickets? 

bususer12

Since the ticket changes, is the 25% Off NxDiscover day saver still valid? Links still work but doesn't allow purchase https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/offers/nx-discover-offer

Rachvince53

Quote from: suavegarv on July 16, 2023, 11:57:29 PMSo there's two different £4.50 tickets?
From the information I have got so it would seem.  Unless I'm mistaken, there's the NBus valid on most operators within the West Midlands plus the additional areas of Wombourne,  Keresley as long as you start or finish within the West Midlands County.  Then there's the NX Daysaver Extra which covers all NX and NXC buses within the West Midlands plus all services outside the West Midlands to places such as Bromsgrove and Cannock. The latter costs the same £4.50 but is not valid on other operators. 

As someone else states,  if we are confused how are ordinary people going to get on?

Straightlines

It's about as clear as mud for the average passenger.

busfan2847

Quote from: JPC on July 16, 2023, 06:59:52 PMTo quote from the NX website 'NX daysaver extra' is actually valid... on NX services only to, from or between locations outside the nBus zone - essentially what regional daysaver used to do?.

There still seems to be a conflict/poor clarity from NX in the actual validity of one day nBus which again quoting from the NX website is valid... on all bus operators that are part of the nBus scheme within the West Midlands zone so is this only valid within the nBus area or does it also cover the mapped West Midlands zone i.e everything operated by NX (defeating the purpose of a 'NX daysaver extra') (?)
The wording for the daysaver extra is poor. I think it implies if you buy a daysaver outside of the nbus zone it is a daysaver extra and valid only on NX services.

The wording for the daysaver (purchased inside the nbus zone) states " Unlimited travel for 1 day on all bus operators within the nBus zone and on all National Express buses." Which implies it is available outside the nbus zone on NX buses.

Gareth

I find it interesting that this forum contains a fair few NX staff as well as other operators. Not one seems to have replied here, suggesting not even they know the answer.
Surely in theory only one ticket is needed. £4.50 and valid within nBus area and all NXWM. (Plus whatever Diamond's rules are with day tickets.)

Westy

Quote from: Gareth on July 17, 2023, 06:16:32 PMI find it interesting that this forum contains a fair few NX staff as well as other operators. Not one seems to have replied here, suggesting not even they know the answer.
Surely in theory only one ticket is needed. £4.50 and valid within nBus area and all NXWM. (Plus whatever Diamond's rules are with day tickets.)
That was the general idea, until the 'Extra' ticket was mentioned!

j789

Whilst there are obvious complications with these tickets I don't think the issue will be as large as people seem to be imagining.

Currently, passengers outside the west Mids boundary can purchase a NX Daysaver that can be used on all their buses but not on other companies in the West Midlands. They would need to them buy another ticket should they wish to use another operator's services.

This situation is however surely not changing with the Daysaver+. That still allows passengers outside the West Midlands access to all the NX bus network as it does now. These passengers won't notice the difference therefore (apart from the 50p increase over the current day ticket price).

I think very few current passengers in those areas would have any confusion about being able to use that ticket on any operator's services. They can't now snd they can't in the future - no change.

Yes it would be easier for there to be one day ticket for ease but it is well known that journeys outside the West Midlands are generally less well subsidised than within the county so it is understandable for operators to want to have restrictions on usage in those areas. Ultimately, £4.50 on the Daysaver + goes to NX whereas if they sold a Nbus ticket a % would go elsewhere. The difference may well make these cross county services financial viable so passenger do benefit in that way.

I just don't think many people are going to be a confused by this as really the situation for current passengers has not changed with these tickets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk