News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Rail Return fares to be scrapped?

Started by Stu, February 05, 2023, 07:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

In the Daily Mail today:

Return train tickets will be scrapped - meaning passengers will have to pay for two single trips - as 'single-leg pricing' is unveiled amid long-awaited railway reforms
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11714979/Return-train-tickets-scrapped-single-leg-pricing-unveiled.html

QuoteReturn trains will be scrapped after 'single-leg pricing' is introduced as part of the new railway reforms.
Transport secretary Mark Harper will announce the changes this week after Rishi Sunak gave a green light to the proposed changes.
After rounds of successful trials testing out the new proposed system, passengers will no longer buy return tickets and instead will pay for two single trips instead.
The new reforms will mean the Great British Railways (GBR) will be introduced as a new public body which was first introduced by Boris Johnson and and Grant Shapps in May, 2021.

This sounds like an opportunity to rinse even more money out of train passengers. It is only going to work if the price of single journeys can be reviewed fairly. Otherwise this is just going to make long-distance rail travel unaffordable for many people (unless that's the long-term ambition).
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on February 05, 2023, 07:06:55 PMIn the Daily Mail today:

Return train tickets will be scrapped - meaning passengers will have to pay for two single trips - as 'single-leg pricing' is unveiled amid long-awaited railway reforms
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11714979/Return-train-tickets-scrapped-single-leg-pricing-unveiled.html

This sounds like an opportunity to rinse even more money out of train passengers. It is only going to work if the price of single journeys can be reviewed fairly. Otherwise this is just going to make long-distance rail travel unaffordable for many people (unless that's the long-term ambition).
Major pro rail commentators like Christian Woolmer and 'The Man in Seat 61' are both very pro this happening, so if done properly it will be a massive advantage, but done badly will have awful consequences.

You may have noticed lots of London photos appearing on the main site. I am trying to get a full set of TfL vehicles. The ticket I am using is a £25.05 one day travel card from Hednesford. Great value which is a return to London and a Z1-6 travel card. So not sure how you would replace this with no return tickets 

the trainbasher

QuoteYou may have noticed lots of London photos appearing on the main site. I am trying to get a full set of TfL vehicles. The ticket I am using is a £25.05 one day travel card from Hednesford. Great value which is a return to London and a Z1-6 travel card. So not sure how you would replace this with no return tickets
It will be interesting to see what happens, especially with the rumours with the Travelcard is under threat as well (https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/01/22/travelcard-under-threat/)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

markcf83

Quote from: Stu on February 05, 2023, 07:06:55 PMIn the Daily Mail today:

Anything that is found in the Epic Fail should be given a cautionary notice. I don't see this happening and for one I will not accept it.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

windy miller

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 05, 2023, 08:51:35 PMIt will be interesting to see what happens, especially with the rumours with the Travelcard is under threat as well (https://busandtrainuser.com/2022/01/22/travelcard-under-threat/)

I had actually booked this Rtn option last year 2022, the Fare included an "all zones" LUL  freedom option which was (surprisingly) printed on the same ticket (inc Snr railcard) Which I thought was more than reasonable as the zones 1-6 card alone would have been £9.60 never mind the rtn rail fare!  If I can 'nail' the same fare option again in the next few months I  wouldn't hesitate to jump on it...
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

markcf83

Quote from: windy miller on March 10, 2023, 08:45:36 PM I had actually booked this Rtn option last year 2022, the Fare included an "all zones" LUL  freedom option which was (surprisingly) printed on the same ticket (inc Snr railcard) Which I thought was more than reasonable as the zones 1-6 card alone would have been £9.60 never mind the rtn rail fare!  If I can 'nail' the same fare option again in the next few months I  wouldn't hesitate to jump on it...

Given the Travelcard is a Network Rail product, Sadiq Khan cannot lay his grubby little fingers on it. Ever.......
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

windy miller

Interesting  I wasn't aware of that Mark.... As I mentioned the ticket I was issued with
 last year, With senior R/card  @£25.05 included the all zones LUL permit (at least after 09.30 am) for the entire day so I cant see any reason why that option can't continue???  
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on March 22, 2023, 04:51:28 PMInteresting  I wasn't aware of that Mark.... As I mentioned the ticket I was issued with
 last year, With senior R/card  @£25.05 included the all zones LUL permit (at least after 09.30 am) for the entire day so I cant see any reason why that option can't continue??? 
Word of warning, with the latest price rise it is now £27.05

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk