News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Bus enthusiasts

Started by igogeneral, January 27, 2023, 05:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Bevan

Quote from: hlliwmai on February 19, 2023, 08:02:55 PMI once had a similar situation with a Diamond Kidderminster driver some years ago I was taking pictures of buses outside Kidderminster Town Hall a Dart pulled in to the stop I'm that sad I remember the fleet number 20252 to this day, I took a picture of the bus the driver jumped out the cab (I've never seen a driver get out of a cab so fast in all my life!), he came over and said to me "You can delete that picture right now".... I was totally aghast but I did delete it however I instantly reported the incident to Simon Dunn and the then general manager of Kidderminster depot (Andy Norris) *he no longer works for Rotala*, I was told by Andy and Simon that the driver would be dealt with accordingly suffice to say I didn't have any aggravation from that driver again, it's unfortunate that Diamond/Rotala don't have the same policy in place as National Express do because as far as I'm aware if that incident had of been at NX there is no doubt that driver would of been sacked it was a long time ago BUT I can remember his aggression towards me on that day and I know this is something National Express do not tolerate it is a shame depending on the circumstances other companies don't operate the way NX do to these sort of things.

Why do you think a driver should get sacked for an incident like that? As much as I understand it must have been a uncomfortable situation for yourself, you don't know what that driver is thinking when he sees you taking a photo. Not all drivers know about bus enthusiasts or what they do, so sometimes it can be resolved with a simple explanation or talking to. I've had times as an enthusiast where drivers have assumed I'm taking a photo of them, and have been alright when I've explained that I was taking a photo of the bus. I remember one particular incident where a driver in a Diamond WF Streetlite (one of the MX11 ones I think) on the 71 in Sutton Coldfield followed me in his bus to confront me on why I was taking a photo of him. When I explained, he understood and didn't realise bus spotters were even a thing and apologised to me. 😂😂😂

Quote from: Michael Bevan on February 19, 2023, 11:39:35 PMWhy do you think a driver should get sacked for an incident like that? As much as I understand it must have been a uncomfortable situation for yourself, you don't know what that driver is thinking when he sees you taking a photo. Not all drivers know about bus enthusiasts or what they do, so sometimes it can be resolved with a simple explanation or talking to. I've had times as an enthusiast where drivers have assumed I'm taking a photo of them, and have been alright when I've explained that I was taking a photo of the bus. I remember one particular incident where a driver in a Diamond WF Streetlite (one of the MX11 ones I think) on the 71 in Sutton Coldfield followed me in his bus to confront me on why I was taking a photo of him. When I explained, he understood and didn't realise bus spotters were even a thing and apologised to me. 😂😂😂
I would of thought not having "any aggravation from that driver again on future occurrences" would mean this was effectively resolved to. 
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Solo1

Drivers are filmed everywhere when driving at petrol stations shopping so why moan as we only want pic of the bus how many times can u see the driver if you get the photo in the right place like side so u can't see driver

Wumpty

There's an expectation in modern society that your image will be captured through "accidental/incidental inclusion" where your image is filmed on public CCTV, dashcams, shopping centres with a large footfall and not intended to capture individuals, except in the use of crime detection.

Where bus enthusiasts train their cameras on a specific bus and the field of captured is narrowed, and the camera is perceived to be trained on the driver, and not in the same context as above, then some drivers may feel uncomfortable and understandably so.

Much of this is about education and sharing information and managing the situation correctly - wanting someone sacked is a tad extreme and reasonable people will consider the feelings of anyone that doesn't wish to be filmed. 

Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Celestial Toymaker

I used to photograph with the sole intent of showing nobody (private collection only) along came my first digital camera and i was introduced to Flickr, all my stuff was then done solely for Flickr, now they are horrendously expensive im no longer on Flickr, and havent used my camera now in around 3 years, i intend to get back to phots again this summer, im not interested in getting people, (driver etc) if they are clearly visible i try to obscure them if it doesnt spoil the picture, but once more these will now only be for my enjoyment so i feel no obligation to do so, ive been threatened at Digbeth & Coventry with having my camera smashed !!
West Bromwich bus station has told me if i value my health not to go there again (even tho i have a licence) Dudley the cleaners of all people think they can confiscate my camera, but nobody from NXWM has directly challenged me.

if asked to leave i do so, if they become threatening and will not give a name, i wait until im off NXWM property and then get a good close up of the individual on max zoom, which if i suffer from any further threats etc are for my protection.
3000 F300 XOF

Tony

Quote from: SUNDAY.BASH on February 20, 2023, 07:04:00 PMI used to photograph with the sole intent of showing nobody (private collection only) along came my first digital camera and i was introduced to Flickr, all my stuff was then done solely for Flickr, now they are horrendously expensive im no longer on Flickr, and havent used my camera now in around 3 years, i intend to get back to phots again this summer, im not interested in getting people, (driver etc) if they are clearly visible i try to obscure them if it doesnt spoil the picture, but once more these will now only be for my enjoyment so i feel no obligation to do so, ive been threatened at Digbeth & Coventry with having my camera smashed !!
West Bromwich bus station has told me if i value my health not to go there again (even tho i have a licence) Dudley the cleaners of all people think they can confiscate my camera, but nobody from NXWM has directly challenged me.

if asked to leave i do so, if they become threatening and will not give a name, i wait until im off NXWM property and then get a good close up of the individual on max zoom, which if i suffer from any further threats etc are for my protection.
Not sure how you manage to upset people at Dudley & West Bromwich bus stations. I have never in all my years photographing even got challenged, and no I am not there in Uniform normally when I do long spells photographing.

Celestial Toymaker

not sure myself at dudley im usually by the Travel Office, West Brom im usually the Zebra between In & Out where you curl round to exit etc. im a creature of habit, whenever im out im always in the same place
3000 F300 XOF

windy miller

Back in 2017 I think it was I was sat at the little coffee shop opposite Walsall bus station??... Fortunately I was in a position to take some good shots with my bridge camera and (in most cases) I can apply a zoom so I would not have been in direct view of a driver.. However.. as a single deck pulled out from the stands the driver was held at the lights..there was (should have been) room for another single deck to safely pass behind the first vehicle and swing to the left in the willenhall direction... I say SHOULD have... unfortunately the off side (back end) of the  second vehicle swung round and collided with the near side back end of the first vehicle and caused a fair bit of damage to both vehicles. I had taken shots of both vehs and I would have been an ideal witness....  as both vehicles were walsall based, and as a genuine bus enthusiast, Do I keep my mouth shut ???   what do you think...?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

windy miller

Quote from: windy miller on September 12, 2023, 02:35:41 AMBack in 2017 I think it was I was sat at the little coffee shop opposite Walsall bus station??... Fortunately I was in a position to take some good shots with my bridge camera and (in most cases) I can apply a zoom so I would not have been in direct view of a driver.. However.. as a single deck pulled out from the stands the driver was held at the lights..there was (should have been) room for another single deck to safely pass behind the first vehicle and swing to the left in the willenhall direction... I say SHOULD have... unfortunately the off side (back end) of the  second vehicle swung round and collided with the near side back end of the first vehicle and caused a fair bit of damage to both vehicles. I had taken shots of both vehs and I would have been an ideal witness....  as both vehicles were walsall based, and as a genuine bus enthusiast, Do I keep my mouth shut ???  what do you think...?
I have a feeling our fellow spotter  Solo 1 may have been close by me at the time  maybe he can remember the incident?  
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk