News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Metro service suspended until further notice

Started by Solo1, November 12, 2021, 03:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Tony on November 13, 2021, 07:43:43 PM
Just need to pre buy a one day version of one of these

I think the idea of this service is to benefit those who have weekly or monthly tickets already paid for. I'm not sure if its wise for enthusiasts to buy tickets just so they can enjoy an unusal ride out on a Green Bus vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't be encouraging people to do so.

If you don't have a Metro pass already, then you may as well just buy a bus ticket and travel by bus (will work out cheaper too!)
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on November 13, 2021, 08:37:28 PM
I think the idea of this service is to benefit those who have weekly or monthly tickets already paid for. I'm not sure if its wise for enthusiasts to buy tickets just so they can enjoy an unusal ride out on a Green Bus vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't be encouraging people to do so.

If you don't have a Metro pass already, then you may as well just buy a bus ticket and travel by bus (will work out cheaper too!)
Someone can buy a NBus Metro day on a NX service and use it on there. It might just simply be they are not able to issue tickets for whatever reason so its prepaid tickets only.

I'm not sure it matters why people are travelling to be honest, providing there's enough capacity anyway.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ginger66

How many other operators euro/worldwide use these CAF Ubro/Urbo 3 trams?

Edinburgh uses the same style tram as anything been reported north of the border with issues to cracks in their trams.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 15, 2021, 06:15:27 PM
How many other operators euro/worldwide use these CAF Ubro/Urbo 3 trams?

Edinburgh uses the same style tram as anything been reported north of the border with issues to cracks in their trams.

An Melbourne Australia operator has withdrawn theirs and I think an operator in either France or Spain has too
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Solo1

If they had faults why didn't they cancel the order of the new CAF trams & get some different ones

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on November 16, 2021, 08:04:49 AM
If they had faults why didn't they cancel the order of the new CAF trams & get some different ones

Because you cannot predict metal fatigue in advance

Wumpty

Quote from: Tony on November 16, 2021, 09:17:16 AM
Because you cannot predict metal fatigue in advance

Depending upon the type of steel and the predicted use and load, you can.

I understand that the structural grade of the steel is in question - something that will be the basis of this and other investigations on other custom,er's trams.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Steveminor

The issue first came to light in 2017 so the question is do when did tfwm order more trams & were they aware of the issues

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Steveminor on November 16, 2021, 05:22:05 PM
The issue first came to light in 2017 so the question is do when did tfwm order more trams & were they aware of the issues

Isn't there still issues with the class 195 which are CAF products too, hence why the 196s are delayed into service. This is creating a bit of bad reputation for CAF.
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Steveminor

The 331scl as well plus the CAF Oaris EMUs in Norway suffered from chassis cracks. Poor manufacturing. Why dont people just buy Bombardier

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on November 16, 2021, 07:01:35 PM
The 331scl as well plus the CAF Oaris EMUs in Norway suffered from chassis cracks. Poor manufacturing. Why dont people just buy Bombardier

The South Western Trains class 701s which the rail unions are describing as 'not fit for purpose' and are now two years late don't seem to be doing Bombadier's reputation much good either.

Siemens seem to have the best reputation at the moment

ellspurs

Radio 2 was describing the closure this morning as "engineering works", with the traffic reporter (who is from the West Midlands) not realising that "Wolverhampton St George's - Centenary Square" was the whole route.

Wumpty

Quote from: ellspurs on November 16, 2021, 07:41:16 PM
Radio 2 was describing the closure this morning as "engineering works", with the traffic reporter (who is from the West Midlands) not realising that "Wolverhampton St George's - Centenary Square" was the whole route.
This is what happens when you put ex BBC local radio hosts on a national radio station who are "personality" lead with no understanding of the actual situation.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Ginger66

do you think midland metro will loan trams from heritage tramways that can fit on the standard gauge track such as using Blackpool balloon trams.

ie. using Balloon trams between St Pauls and Grand Central / Priestfield and Wolverhampton St Georges.

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 17, 2021, 07:59:21 PM
do you think midland metro will loan trams from heritage tramways that can fit on the standard gauge track such as using Blackpool balloon trams.

ie. using Balloon trams between St Pauls and Grand Central / Priestfield and Wolverhampton St Georges.

I very much doubt it. WMCA are clearly happy to piss away taxpayers money, but I think the costs involved in transporting other vehicles to loan just for a few weeks would raise some eyebrows.

The current fleet will likely be patched up for repair and then put back into service. Then in a couple of years (when those repairs start to fail again), TfWM will announce some 'investment in new fleet vehicles' with more millions of pounds ready to spend on buying new trams, which will be bought 'on the cheap' again, and thus the cycle continues.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk