News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Chaserider

Started by Pat, January 06, 2021, 10:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlliwmai

I had heard although it's probably chinese whispers that Diamond are (or were) in talks to buy Chaserider although how true that was I don't know as I said it could be chinese whispers and nothing more than that just wait & see I mean who could of foresaw Diamond buying Midland Classic or Johnson's I know I didn't 

Westy

Quote from: hlliwmai on November 12, 2022, 09:38:28 PMI had heard although it's probably chinese whispers that Diamond are (or were) in talks to buy Chaserider although how true that was I don't know as I said it could be chinese whispers and nothing more than that just wait & see I mean who could of foresaw Diamond buying Midland Classic or Johnson's I know I didn't
Something needs to happen up there for definite!

Rachvince53

Diamond wanted to buy the Cannock garage a few years ago but the bid was rejected. 

Capitalpotter

Quote from: hlliwmai on November 12, 2022, 09:38:28 PMI had heard although it's probably chinese whispers that Diamond are (or were) in talks to buy Chaserider although how true that was I don't know as I said it could be chinese whispers and nothing more than that just wait & see I mean who could of foresaw Diamond buying Midland Classic or Johnson's I know I didn't
I heard something similar a while ago. It would fill the gap between Diamonds other areas

Rachvince53

Given the recent acquisition of Midland Classic, adding the Chaserider services would seem a good addition although whether D&G would be or are looking to sell is unknown.  

Grinder

Given the recent cancellations of service registrations in D & G's name and re-in-statement under Chaserider Buses Ltd, there has to be a possibility of a sale but nothing is certain and even if it did happen does anyone think it will miraculously make an instant difference.  Lets be honest here, if anyone does take over the business the first thing they are going to do is cull the non-profitable routes just as Chaserider are doing at present. 

Bob

193 broke down on 826 this morning, abd got replaced by 180 which also decided to break down. Why send a 15 year old Solo with reliability issues to cover pretty intensive interurban work when theyve got full sized buses running around empty on locals. Madness

Stu

Quote from: Grinder on November 14, 2022, 08:34:04 AMGiven the recent cancellations of service registrations in D & G's name and re-in-statement under Chaserider Buses Ltd, there has to be a possibility of a sale but nothing is certain and even if it did happen does anyone think it will miraculously make an instant difference.  Lets be honest here, if anyone does take over the business the first thing they are going to do is cull the non-profitable routes just as Chaserider are doing at present.
I remember reading all the whining and complaints when Arriva used to run the services in Cannock.

I also remember the 'excitement' when it was announced that D&G were to acquire the Arriva operations and reintroduce the 'Chaserider' brand.

Now the same people who moaned endlessly about Arriva are making the same complaints about Chaserider.

So really not much changed after all, and it probably wouldn't matter if someone else ended up acquiring the operation.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

j789

I'd suggest that Cannock is another area of managed decline in recent years with no real prospect of returning to the glory days. 

Hence why I think it would be a risk for any company to move in there, there just won't be the scope for any sort of significant profit margin. Without that, companies can't afford to invest in new vehicles or try new routes out which may attract new patronage, instead relying on older vehicles which do nothing to attract any new passengers. It's a vicious circle replicated in many suburban towns outside of the big cities. Decline leads to more decline, etc etc.

I look at Redditch and Kidderminster as similar areas where the last 20 years have seen a managed decline. I do think Rotala have tried their best in those areas in recent years and the decline is not as quick as previously but I do feel there is a reason why none of the larger companies look at these sort of places - the profit to risk ratio is surely too much.

Westy

Would it have been any better if the Chaserider rejig hadn't happened in 1980?

Bob

Quote from: Westy on November 14, 2022, 09:23:39 PMWould it have been any better if the Chaserider rejig hadn't happened in 1980?
Howd you mean? That was in part about WMPTE/MR routes changing hands and WMPTE keeping exclusivity on the Walsall routes wadnt it? Infacr i dont think Midland Red went up Pye Green Road again til the minibuses in 1986

Westy

Quote from: Bob on November 14, 2022, 09:35:56 PMHowd you mean? That was in part about WMPTE/MR routes changing hands and WMPTE keeping exclusivity on the Walsall routes wadnt it? Infacr i dont think Midland Red went up Pye Green Road again til the minibuses in 1986
Mind you, they've got exclusivity on the Walsall route, as no one else is interested in it!

Bob

Quote from: Westy on November 14, 2022, 09:41:41 PMMind you, they've got exclusivity on the Walsall route, as no one else is interested in it!
Well Chaserider were, but the 1 was pretty unreliable. There was a 90 min gap due to breakdowns on at least 2 occasiobs, and 1hr gaps regularly due to them etc. I remember being stuck in Bloxwich and ending up getting the X51

Bob

Quote from: Westy on November 14, 2022, 09:41:41 PMMind you, they've got exclusivity on the Walsall route, as no one else is interested in it!
Not to mention the flop that was the 74 extension. 

BK63 YWP

Kidderminster, Redditch, Cannock, Rugeley and Bromsgrove have had their rail connections improved in recent decades hence the demise of certain bus services 144 and 192 as an example, rail is faster and more frequent than before
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk