News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Trivial But Unique (inspired by The Bus Forum)

Started by Busboy105, October 26, 2020, 10:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

fleetline6477

Quote from: 2206 on November 02, 2020, 08:52:38 PM
Currently 11A/11C says Discount Travel one way, RK Travel other way and NX. So 3.

Don't think there will be many that have more than 2 running on it in 2020.

11A/11C has had The Green Bus (they used to run an 11E from Stechford to Winson Green via Ward End, Erdington, Perry Barr and Handsworth) around 2011, AMPM Travel, Joes Travel, Social Travel, GRS Travel, Discount Travel Solutions, RK Travel and National Express West Midlands over the last 10 years.

I found the registration on the VOSA site for the old Green Bus Service, looks like it only ran for a few months as well from 1st September to the 5th December 2011.
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.service.gov.uk/search/find-registered-local-bus-services/details/345536/

The 11A/C has also had Falcon travel and Birmingham Coach Company (Selly Oak to Perry Barr)

The Green Bus ran on a number of routes commercially, placement journeys from afternoon school buses, for example they ran 5 or 6 journeys on the 6 Solihull - Birmingham.

Lukeee

Quote from: fleetline6477 on November 03, 2020, 08:17:14 PM
The 11A/C has also had Falcon travel and Birmingham Coach Company (Selly Oak to Perry Barr)

The Green Bus ran on a number of routes commercially, placement journeys from afternoon school buses, for example they ran 5 or 6 journeys on the 6 Solihull - Birmingham.

I recall Birmingham Motor Traction running an 11E between Perry Barr and Acocks Green in the mid 2000's. The 424 must be a contender for a route with many different operators over the years. As well as Claribels theres been Diamond, VIP buses, Zaks and I believe Central Connect

Cheese

The 16 route from Hanley to Leek must be up there in terms of the number of operators on the route at the same time.

Back in 2010 the Mon-Fri daytime service was run by Proctors with some additional trips by Scraggs, evening journeys were run by D&G. Saturday daytime was split between Proctors and Bakers with again D&G running evenings, then Sunday journeys were run by Scraggs. So there were 4 operators on the same route at the same time, OK different days of the week but still all at the same time. Due to various commercial/tendered sections of route leading to 4 different operators.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Cheese on November 06, 2020, 10:37:32 AM
The 16 route from Hanley to Leek must be up there in terms of the number of operators on the route at the same time.

Back in 2010 the Mon-Fri daytime service was run by Proctors with some additional trips by Scraggs, evening journeys were run by D&G. Saturday daytime was split between Proctors and Bakers with again D&G running evenings, then Sunday journeys were run by Scraggs. So there were 4 operators on the same route at the same time, OK different days of the week but still all at the same time. Due to various commercial/tendered sections of route leading to 4 different operators.

The x96 was similar (at one stage Diamond did one tender, Midland another, NX commercially and hansons did one trip) in 2009

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jack

Quote from: Lukeee on November 03, 2020, 10:10:57 PM
The 424 must be a contender for a route with many different operators over the years. As well as Claribels theres been Diamond, VIP buses, Zaks and I believe Central Connect
iGo too.

Busboy105

My old local route 36 (Heartlands Hospital-Sparkhill) did have a few.
NXWM, Landflight (then Silverline), Diamond, IGO (before they went bust) and now Claribels.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on November 06, 2020, 10:14:04 PM
My old local route 36 (Heartlands Hospital-Sparkhill) did have a few.
NXWM, Landflight (then Silverline), Diamond, IGO (before they went bust) and now Claribels.
It's a tender

CL

Question: Is the 16 (Birmingham - Hamstead/West Bromwich) the longest rivalry between two operators? ??? - Not only regionally, but nationally?

Would be interesting to hear of any other routes in competition for over 30 years!
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Ian Hardy

The Oxford Tube and the Oxford Citylink X90 between Oxford and London, the X90 was started by South Midland in 1928, then in March 1987 Thames Transit started operating the Oxford Tube. Therefore there was competition for nearly 33 years from March 1987 until 4th January 2020 when the Oxford Bus Company withdrew the X90.

Technically Thames Transit (now Stagecoach Oxford) has been in competition with Oxford Bus Company on the Oxford to Blackbird Leys route since March 1987 as well, but since July 2010 there has been a partnership between the two operators.

In Aberdeen Northern Scottish (& now Stagecoach Bluebird) have operated the 59 between Torry and Northfield via the city centre since 1986 in competition with Grampian Regional Transport (now First Aberdeen) services (7 between Torry & the city centre & 12 between Northfield and the city centre) so 34 years.

In Dundee Strathtay Scottish started running Routemasters in 1986 between Carnoustie and Ninewells Hopsital in competition with Tayside Passenger Transport between Broughty Ferry and Ninewells Hospital. The two operators today are Stagecoach Strathtay (route 75) and Xplore Dundee (route 5) and the 75 still had conductors until March 2020 so another 34 years. 

DJ

Quote from: CL on November 17, 2020, 01:06:20 PM
Question: Is the 16 (Birmingham - Hamstead/West Bromwich) the longest rivalry between two operators? ??? - Not only regionally, but nationally?

Would be interesting to hear of any other routes in competition for over 30 years!

While it's not really competition these days, the 40/410 has had Diamond on there for what seems like an eternity. The 4 has had competition for many years too, with Pete's having started on the 404 back in 1993. I'm not sure on when competition on the 410 started, but I've seen pictures of Birmingham Coach Company Nationals on there which are dated as 1993 too.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

MasterPlan

Is the 16 the shortest route that serves Birmingham City Centre? NX version I mean.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Gareth

Claribels on the 94 must be almost 30 years by now. No ownership or name changes on this either!

ellspurs

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 17, 2020, 04:20:38 PM
Is the 16 the shortest route that serves Birmingham City Centre? NX version I mean.

82 to Bearwood.
101 to Handsworth Wood.

Those two possibly just from an eyeballing of a map of Birmingham.

Busboy105

Quote from: ellspurs on November 17, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
82 to Bearwood.
101 to Handsworth Wood.

Those two possibly just from an eyeballing of a map of Birmingham.
The 17 and the 60 are under half an hour to Tile Cross and Cranes Park respectively.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk