News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Updated destination displays

Started by 2206, June 02, 2020, 12:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Notice 6124 has a new 11C display. No via points on the display and where they were it now has the word "CLOCKWISE", there.
Wander if they will all be getting this new display.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on June 02, 2020, 12:03:03 PM
Notice 6124 has a new 11C display. No via points on the display and where they were it now has the word "CLOCKWISE", there.
Wow. I already hate the new displays because of how vague they were but this, this is something else.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on June 02, 2020, 12:03:03 PM

Yeah, I spotted one like that this morning, so it looks like they will all be updated like this.

I suppose the reasoning is that it makes it clearer which direction the service operates in, but then you would have to bank on passengers understanding the difference between 'clockwise' and 'anticlockwise'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on June 02, 2020, 07:24:15 PM
Yeah, I spotted one like that this morning, so it looks like they will all be updated like this.

I suppose the reasoning is that it makes it clearer which direction the service operates in, but then you would have to bank on passengers understanding the difference between 'clockwise' and 'anticlockwise'.
And that they'd know where the bus goes via.  This is what annoys me about the NX displays, they don't include enough via points.

BH2004

Quote from: Stu on June 02, 2020, 07:24:15 PM

Will the new style destinations be on all routes at somepoint

Quote from: BH2004 on June 02, 2020, 07:59:42 PM
Will the new style destinations be on all routes at somepoint
This wouldn't work on a non circular service - only the 8 and 11. So I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere else.

Other routes already have just the one via point from what I've seen.
For example - 65 via Slade Road, 6 via Shirley, X20/X21/X22 via University, 55 via Ward End, 94 via Ward End (or Castle Bromwich on some buses), 28 via Erdington, etc.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Busboy105

Quote from: 2206 on June 02, 2020, 08:06:05 PM
This wouldn't work on a non circular service - only the 8 and 11. So I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere else.

Other routes already have just the one via point from what I've seen.
For example - 65 via Slade Road, 6 via Shirley, X20/X21/X22 via University, 55 via Ward End, 94 via Ward End (or Castle Bromwich on some buses), 28 via Erdington, etc.
Pretty much every single route in the West Midlands has this.

Stu

Quote from: Pat on June 02, 2020, 07:56:27 PM
And that they'd know where the bus goes via.  This is what annoys me about the NX displays, they don't include enough via points.

If you get on the 11A in Billesley, technically it does go 'via Selly Oak', but the long way round.  ;)

I guess the trend now is for static displays, without any scrolling or 'flipping'.
My locals:

Ian Hardy

At least NXWM are showing something useful - 11C Clockwise.

In Harrow in North West London there is the really confusing situation that a bus leaving Harrow Bus station on the H18 or the H19 shows Harrow Bus Station as the destination. TfL has decreed that there will be no via points on any London bus blinds, so as these routes are both circular routes going the opposite way around a big circuit to the north of Harrow, you get this stupid arrangement and unless you have a bus map (but funnily enough TfL stopped producing them) to show you where it goes, you are none the wiser!

As TfL does not permit electronic displays, a via point would be still shown after that point has passed and I think that there still is or was an historic union agreement that the route blind (London had separate destination and via point blinds) could not be changed mid-route, so instead of the sensible approach, we now don't have any via points in London, with only the destination being shown.

Busboy105

Quote from: Ian Hardy on June 02, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
At least NXWM are showing something useful - 11C Clockwise.

In Harrow in North West London there is the really confusing situation that a bus leaving Harrow Bus station on the H18 or the H19 shows Harrow Bus Station as the destination. TfL has decreed that there will be no via points on any London bus blinds, so as these routes are both circular routes going the opposite way around a big circuit to the north of Harrow, you get this stupid arrangement and unless you have a bus map (but funnily enough TfL stopped producing them) to show you where it goes, you are none the wiser!

As TfL does not permit electronic displays, a via point would be still shown after that point has passed and I think that there still is or was an historic union agreement that the route blind (London had separate destination and via point blinds) could not be changed mid-route, so instead of the sensible approach, we now don't have any via points in London, with only the destination being shown.
Why doesn't TFL allow electronic displays?

Stevo

This is what can happen when bus routes are controlled 'from a distance' by amateurs and the operators are obliged to follow decisions that are not in the best interests of passengers. When I was in London in the sun last week I was struck by how poorly the destination blinds stood out - the white seemed more like grey and the readability was nowhere near as good as a modern l.e.d. display.

DJ

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 02, 2020, 11:04:21 PM
Why doesn't TFL allow electronic displays?

They did stick with rollblinds for a while, but new vehicles are beginning to have electronic ones, now that high resolution LED blinds are available, that come very close to the quality of an actual blind.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Pat

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 02, 2020, 08:30:46 PM
Pretty much every single route in the West Midlands has this.
Some services display two via points, such as the 7 which displays: via Merry Hill & Stourbridge.

Stu

Split discussion from Acocks Green Garage as it was going 'off-topic'.

I noticed today that the 6 also now has updated destination displays, displaying 'via Stratford Road' as opposed to via Shirley.

I can't quite decide if this is more or less helpful, technically I suppose it is more helpful, as it does mostly cover the Stratford Road through several areas (Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Hall Green and Shirley).
My locals:

Quote from: Stu on June 04, 2020, 06:23:10 PM
Split discussion from Acocks Green Garage as it was going 'off-topic'.

I noticed today that the 6 also now has updated destination displays, displaying 'via Stratford Road' as opposed to via Shirley.

I can't quite decide if this is more or less helpful, technically I suppose it is more helpful, as it does mostly cover the Stratford Road through several areas (Sparkbrook, Sparkhill, Hall Green and Shirley).
All 94's have been updated to show via Ward End as well. Where they hadn't already been done. Which means they are in line with the 55 displays which also show that on the Washwood Heath Road corridor.
Quote from: 2206 on May 14, 2020, 03:23:05 PM
Noticed yesterday 6996, hasn't had its destination display updated  like the other buses at Perry Barr have.
So was the odd one out of the buses on there yesterday displaying its old 94 blind. Not the new one that all the other buses that have been using over the past few weeks.

Presumably when they are off the road they don't get the displays updated.
As saw 6996 today on there and it now has been updated. And others such as 4805, 4843, etc have all been displaying the new display.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk