News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

05 January 2020 Birmingham services changes

Started by PB2938, December 12, 2019, 08:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PB2938

https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/service-changes-from-5th-january-2020

Nice to see X51 running later and 934 to Walsall on Sundays and increased running times on 924 937A on Sunday
952A Rugeley
Via Great Barr,  Walsall, Cheslyn Hay, Cannock, Heath Hayes and Hednesford

Busboy105

Quote from: PB2938 on December 12, 2019, 08:20:23 AM
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/information/service-changes/service-changes-from-5th-january-2020

Nice to see X51 running later and 934 to Walsall on Sundays and increased running times on 924 937A on Sunday
That's good. I never understood why the X51 finishes so early.

BK63 YWP

The X51 is going from strength to strength why does Birmingham need sprint when X51 is doing a sterling job
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

winston

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on December 12, 2019, 12:58:54 PM
The X51 is going from strength to strength why does Birmingham need sprint when X51 is doing a sterling job

Exactly! Plus with Sprint artics taking up far more road space than existing buses.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on December 12, 2019, 02:07:27 PM
Exactly! Plus with Sprint artics taking up far more road space than existing buses.
Sprint is financed completely separately from normal buses the funding is ring fenced and cannot be used on any other infrastructure project it was originally sourced when Andy Street was Chairman of the LEP before being elected Mayor. I agree with you both I am not a fan of it but as its fully funded why not proceed with it we need the investment badly in public transport it's just unfortunate it's a 24m long bendy bus taking up most of the road.

winston

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 12, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Sprint is financed completely separately from normal buses the funding is ring fenced and cannot be used on any other infrastructure project it was originally sourced when Andy Street was Chairman of the LEP before being elected Mayor. I agree with you both I am not a fan of it but as its fully funded why not proceed with it we need the investment badly in public transport it's just unfortunate it's a 40 foot long bendy bus taking up most of the road.

Because as demonstrated by the frequent increases in NXWM X51 frequencies / operating hours over it's life, it's not a corridor that requires the investment. Existing provisions seem that more than sufficient. Sprint will just take passengers off the existing C51, not create new demand. Choosing to use Bendi's (tram like or standard) for Sprint isn't what I'd call unfortunate, I'd class it as plain STUPID. The UK bus industry passed through that phase some 15 - 20 years ago, they didn't work then, they won't work now.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on December 12, 2019, 02:46:05 PM
Because as demonstrated by the frequent increases in NXWM X51 frequencies / operating hours over it's life, it's not a corridor that requires the investment. Existing provisions seem that more than sufficient. Sprint will just take passengers off the existing C51, not create new demand. Choosing to use Bendi's (tram like or standard) for Sprint isn't what I'd call unfortunate, I'd class it as plain STUPID. The UK bus industry passed through that phase some 15 - 20 years ago, they didn't work then, they won't work now.
Yes I agree Winston but as its fully funded and ready to be rolled out for the Games I cannot see why not proceed with it but I agree the 51 corridor is not one I would have chosen I argued and failed to keep to the original Hagley Road plans and would have sent one spur to Halesowen & an alternative one to Blackheath giving an joint route from the Cinema I may have mentioned before I think we need a better bus service from Edgbaston to Blackheath.....................

Tony

Quote from: richardjones210368 on December 12, 2019, 02:36:54 PM
Sprint is financed completely separately from normal buses the funding is ring fenced and cannot be used on any other infrastructure project it was originally sourced when Andy Street was Chairman of the LEP before being elected Mayor. I agree with you both I am not a fan of it but as its fully funded why not proceed with it we need the investment badly in public transport it's just unfortunate it's a 24m long bendy bus taking up most of the road.

The biggest shame is the infrastructure money couldn't be used as planned, but the vehicles cancelled (£500,000 each) and used for further infrastructure on other corridors,

richardjones210368

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2019, 03:49:18 PM
The biggest shame is the infrastructure money couldn't be used as planned, but the vehicles cancelled (£500,000 each) and used for further infrastructure on other corridors,
TREASURE THIS MOMENT TONY : I fully agree with you.

Westy

Last bus from Walsall to Bloxwich at midnight, rather than 2330!

Busboy105

Quote from: Winston on December 12, 2019, 02:46:05 PM
Absolutely true. Sprint is a waste of money and time. That money should be put into making more Metro lines and creating train lines in places like Castle Vale and Willenhall.

JoNi

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2019, 03:49:18 PM
Come to the suburbs of Coventry and see what's left of Primelines. Bus stops modified for Bendibuses testament to unsustainable investment that was ultimately a waste of money.

Justin Tyme

I agree with Tony.  Put the infrastructure in so that buses have tramway-style priorities, and let conventional buses use them.

winston

Quote from: Justin Tyme on December 13, 2019, 09:29:15 PM
I agree with Tony.  Put the infrastructure in so that buses have tramway-style priorities, and let conventional buses use them.

Totally agree, it would benefit far more. But the decisions all seem to centre on what the funding can be spent on, it's the allocation of the funding that needs to change, thus allowing it to be spent on my worthwhile projects that benefits the masses, instead of white elephants on the current use it or loose it basis.

richardjones210368

Quote from: Winston on December 13, 2019, 09:33:25 PM
Totally agree, it would benefit far more. But the decisions all seem to centre on what the funding can be spent on, it's the allocation of the funding that needs to change, thus allowing it to be spent on my worthwhile projects that benefits the masses, instead of white elephants on the current use it or loose it basis.
The funding.for Sprint cannot be used on anything other than Sprint thats a condition of the funding we obtained thru the BSLEP  its Sprint or noting I am not saying thats the right idea its just a fact of the funding sadly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk