News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

‘Needless’ Network/Route Changes

Started by Pat, July 25, 2019, 05:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

On looking at the proposed West Dudley network changes, I can't help but feel that these changes are needless and would just cause reliability issues e.t.c.  Can anyone else think of a network/route that has been changed and has resulted in the service becoming worse?

BK63 YWP

The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Pat

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on July 25, 2019, 05:46:08 PM
Cue the south Birmingham changes
I still can't get my head round that even today!

Stu

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on July 25, 2019, 05:42:58 PM
On looking at the proposed West Dudley network changes, I can't help but feel that these changes are needless and would just cause reliability issues e.t.c.  Can anyone else think of a network/route that has been changed and has resulted in the service becoming worse?

Do you use any of the services that are being changed in that area?

If you do, and you have valid and genuine concerns, feedback or suggestions, then please take part in the consultation and complete the survey. "Have your say!"

I do not use any of those services in West Dudley myself, and I have no experience or knowledge of what passenger loadings or even what passengers desire, so it is pointless me making any comments or suggestions, I leave that to those who will be directly affected.

I can only imagine that there are valid reasons why these routes are set to be changed, though I do not profess to know exactly why. I can only hope it is as a result of passenger surveys carried out and feedback already received, and not just for 'operational reasons'.

But my point is that if you are affected by any of these changes, and you have some comments and suggestions to make, then take part in the survey.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on July 25, 2019, 05:59:21 PM
Do you use any of the services that are being changed in that area?

If you do, and you have valid and genuine concerns, feedback or suggestions, then please take part in the consultation and complete the survey. "Have your say!"

I do not use any of those services in West Dudley myself, and I have no experience or knowledge of what passenger loadings or even what passengers desire, so it is pointless me making any comments or suggestions, I leave that to those who will be directly affected.

I can only imagine that there are valid reasons why these routes are set to be changed, though I do not profess to know exactly why. I can only hope it is as a result of passenger surveys carried out and feedback already received, and not just for 'operational reasons'.

But my point is that if you are affected by any of these changes, and you have some comments and suggestions to make, then take part in the survey.
@Stu yes, I do use some of these services, albeit not all the time (but still know what loadings are like e.t.c) and have already taken part in the survey and made a few suggestions.

winston

Looking at the changes briefly, with the proposed merging of services along with the rationalising of routes 15/ 16 &17, it seems to me as though they will be reducing the total number of buses required that currently serve the area.

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on July 25, 2019, 05:46:08 PM
Cue the south Birmingham changes
And you use all of the services in question @SL 16 YPN?
I use the X20/X21/X22 corridor between Selly Oak and City Centre.
The service between Selly Oak and City Centre is very busy and has seen a big improvement over when the 98/X64 and 98/99 served this corridor. This corridor from University/QE Hospital/Selly Oak has seen a much needed increase in capacity to the City Centre and Five Ways, with many more buses per hour and double decker's.
So whilst there may have been cuts, its not all bad.
Previously the corridor had small E200, there's no chance these would cope on some of the peak journeys on this corridor today.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 25, 2019, 06:09:00 PM
Looking at the changes briefly, with the proposed merging of services along with the rationalising of routes 15/ 16 &17, it seems to me as though they will be reducing the total number of buses required that currently serve the area.

No, still need the same number of buses

Stu

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on July 25, 2019, 06:03:13 PM
@Stu yes, I do use some of these services, albeit not all the time (but still know what loadings are like e.t.c) and have already taken part in the survey and made a few suggestions.

Thank you, please also be sure to let as many people you know who also use those services to take part in the consultation survey.

Nothing annoys me more than after changes are made following a consultation, people start getting angry and complaining about those changes, claiming they 'had no idea' there was a consultation in the first place.

In my opinion, these consultations should be shaped and defined by comments from regular passengers in that area who use those services for 'valid' reasons, ie to commute to work, school, hospital or to other necessary destinations such as shopping. It would be wrong for me - as an example - to comment or make suggestions, based on the premise that I might 'fancy a nice ride on the bus' once a year.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Pat

Quote from: Stu on July 25, 2019, 07:33:00 PM
In my opinion, these consultations should be shaped and defined by comments from regular passengers in that area who use those services for 'valid' reasons, ie to commute to work, school, hospital or to other necessary destinations such as shopping. It would be wrong for me - as an example - to comment or make suggestions, based on the premise that I might 'fancy a nice ride on the bus' once a year.
Yes, I agree with you there. Although I don't always use these services, I still know that area well and know that these changes are likely to cause reliability and punctuality issues.

BK63 YWP

WN 49** have the posters on them stating take the survey have your say.

X10 Gornal Wood

Pat

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on July 25, 2019, 08:57:46 PM
That's pretty quick! However, it's a shame for people (especially the elderly) who can't have their say as they don't have access to the internet.

Trident 4609

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on July 25, 2019, 08:57:46 PM

All WN vehicles do from observation. They don't include much information, just asks for people's say then a link to the online survey.

As someone who uses the 15 and 16 often. I can easily see backlash from the whole of Himley village and Himley Hall being cut off.

I suggested keeping the 16 as it is, then introducing a 16A via Blaze Park, Hinksford, Swindon & Planks Lane to replace the 15 on that section of route. It'd also retain 4 bph along Penn Road, the current proposals would drop it down to 3.

I also highlighted that regular heavy congestion along Pensnett Road and near Russells Hall Hospital on the 2/2A, and through Wrens Nest (at the junction of Sedgley Road West) on the 82 would result in a lot of late running/lost mileage especially at rush hour. The 8, if done right would provide an adequate replacement for the direct link between Wolverhampton and Merry Hill (i'm aware the 81 links the two, but a half hourly service with E200's, which is proposed to be slowed down by being rerouted through Wrens Nest.. simply isn't good enough). *Rhetorical question*~ I wonder if the 8 will replace the X8 short workings and convert to Platinum (adding double deckers to the service would help the regular overcrowding on the service)

Pat

Quote from: Nathan on July 25, 2019, 09:37:04 PM
As someone who uses the 15 and 16 often. I can easily see backlash from the whole of Himley village and Himley Hall being cut off.
I also use the 15 and 16 and i've never seen anyone board/alight at Himley. I suggested that the 15 & 16's are kept as they are - except not serving Wombourne e.t.c where a separate service would cover this.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on July 25, 2019, 09:48:15 PM
I also use the 15 and 16 and i've never seen anyone board/alight at Himley. I suggested that the 15 & 16's are kept as they are - except not serving Wombourne e.t.c where a separate service would cover this.

The new 15 will give gornal a link to merry hill all day whilst the X10 is quicker albeit once an hour.

The 16 would like to see upped to 4 buses an hour with 2 of those as 16A to serve Himley, so no loss of frequency per hour on the Stourbridge to Kingswinford corridor or at least a short working of the 5 to Kingswinford only.

Can really say that the 17A is good replacement for the reduction from 4 to 3 buses an hour as it only operates between 9am and 3pm whilst the 5 is between 8am and 5pm whilst the 17 runs all day maybe the new 16 will go every 30 mins during the evening to continue the current evening and Sunday frequency (16E to Wall Heath?)

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk