News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Discussion: is Swift PAYG obsolete, or could it be improved?

Started by the trainbasher, July 04, 2019, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stu on January 07, 2020, 07:09:46 PM
That is a point I have brought up before. I myself have a Swift card loaded with my NX Regional Faresaver pass, but I think it would be useful to be able to load credit for the occasional PAYG journey on other operators buses, because I'd rather not have to carry two seperate Swift cards around, and make sure I don't use the wrong one!

But having said that, as Diamond are probably the only other operator I really use (for the odd journey on the 50), I just use my contactless bank card to pay for those journeys, so is probably a moot point now.
Yes sometimes you don't want your bank cards on you though or cash such as me at the baths tonight but you can still order at Spoons later on the app on my way home mind you that is also another option with the bus phone apps. Blimey @Stu ever since my epiphany on WMT today suddenly you are all coming out of the closet on Rotala I think I may have taken the wrong approach on this forum since joining but being involved so much in politics the confrontational approach just comes naturally in debate but perhaps it wasn't wise on your excellent wmbusphoto.com forum which has been clearly pointed out to me today by the great and the good of Brum!

sryan188

Swift was obsolete before it had even launched and was/still is years behind Oyster. They should have skipped Swift and invested quicker in to contactless payment with capping.

Things will move past contactless payment cards quickly with ApplePay, GooglePay etc. and other digital wallets becoming much more popular as these can not only replace payment cards but also loyalty cards, bus tickets and much more. Tap your phone and go!

You also have to unlock the keypad (pin/pattern or other protection) so is more secure than contactless it confirms the user before payment.
Everyone carries there phone with them everywhere as well.

karl724223

In two days of doing mainly local work and one trip to  brum I've had two people use
Payg
More and more using contactless

Stuharris 6360

We would never be told but I wonder what percentage of people now

1. Pay by cash
2. Use Swift
3. Use Contactless
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

richardjones210368

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on January 17, 2020, 04:00:09 PM
We would never be told but I wonder what percentage of people now

1. Pay by cash
2. Use Swift
3. Use Contactless
I suggest you make a Freedom.of Information request to.the West Midlands Combined Authority for the information.requested.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk