News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Becoming a NXWM driver.

Started by PinkBus, April 28, 2019, 06:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PinkBus

My husband has got a interview on Tuesday at Miller Street to hopefully become a bus driver as he is utterly fed up of his current job.

I wonder if the drivers on here or anyone currently going through the process can give him (and me) any idea of what he can expect to be doing, apparently the interview lasts for around 3 hours. Apparently there is a theory test which has worried him a little as he's been driving since 1984 when there was no theory test! Also a driving test in a van?

If he is accepted, he would be driving at Perry Barr after training, so I was wondering what services run from there. Also, how the shift patterns work, e.g. a split shift.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give.

Just sitting here
Watching the Outer Circle buses
Go round and round...

Quote from: PinkBus on April 28, 2019, 06:04:26 PM
so I was wondering what services run from there
X3/X4/X5 (Sutton Lines), 94 (Washwood Heath Road), 33, 65/67, 28, 71, 96, 54, 16, 7, 38, FD, 907, 52, 66 and 101.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: PinkBus on April 28, 2019, 06:04:26 PM
My husband has got a interview on Tuesday at Miller Street to hopefully become a bus driver as he is utterly fed up of his current job.

I wonder if the drivers on here or anyone currently going through the process can give him (and me) any idea of what he can expect to be doing, apparently the interview lasts for around 3 hours. Apparently there is a theory test which has worried him a little as he's been driving since 1984 when there was no theory test! Also a driving test in a van?

If he is accepted, he would be driving at Perry Barr after training, so I was wondering what services run from there. Also, how the shift patterns work, e.g. a split shift.

Thanks in advance for any information anyone can give.

I think they've changed it now so you do the driving assessment, interview, medical and a basic literacy/numeracy/road signs in this 3 hour day at Miller Street. Medical is an eye test, alcohol and drug test and I think maybe a blood pressure check.

The questions are simple. Pictures of road signs and you have to name it. Multiple choice format.

You drive an Iveco van for about 5-10 mins around he block. Just make it obvious that you're checking mirrors and stuff. My advice when jumping into a different vehicle is to have a good look at where the wheels are and remember. So in a van (and Optare Solo/Streetlite WF!) the wheels are basically right my your feet when in the cab. Just remember where the wheels are when cornering. I failed the driving assessment once as I kerbed the rear wheel. To be fair I was 18 at the time and had never driven a van. But yeah after all these years, my advice is LOOK AT THE WHEELS.

If they're satisfied, they'll send his licence off for provisional entitlement to be added.

If all is fine, he'll then have to revise for the theory test. They'll tell him which CD to purchase. It's about £20 online. It's quite straight forward to be honest. When he's ready, they'll book him in for the theory test which was held at Walsall depot for me.

After that, you're asked what your notice is at your current job / and any holidays. You're given a start date. You begin training at Walsall, which lasts about 3/4 weeks, which is inclusive of PCV training, CPC training and NX training. Once you leave Walsall, you're given a further start date for your depot. Mine was straight away (Acocks Green).

Once at the depot, you're now shown stuff like ticket machines, different types of vehicles and finally route training, where you basically sit on a bus until you're happy with the route. I remember my first day on route training. Straight into the cab driving, in a Gemini on the 11C, no route training needed lol. But yeah, once you're satisfied with the route, you sign it off confirming you know it. And then, hey presto you're a bus driver. If he's good with routes/geographical knowledge, I'd suggest learning as many routes as you can in this period. It'll allow for greater flexibility when you begin working in terms of shifts.

Shift wise, they do earlies, lates, splits and nights. I typically worked 1200 till 2000, on late book ons, or nights which start around 1700 till 0100. Some people like earlies which tend to begin at 0400 till midday (ish). Nights are always more entertaining, but some drivers are scared of nights, particular on the 11!

Split shifts might start at 0700 till 1900. Nature of bus driving, you obviously had your peak hours. The 1 is a route with duties like this as it used to literally double in frequency at peaks. So you might start at 0700 till 1000. Then again at 1400 till 1800. Those 3-4 hours in between are unpaid. If you live near the bus depot, this is ideal.

But yeah, that's about it I think.

PinkBus

Thank you for that really detailed reply, especially the van advice! He does currently drive one as part of his job, but I will definitely pass on that advice!

I just hope all goes well now on Tuesday and he is accepted as I think he would really enjoy the job and be very good at it. The shift pattern sound a lot better than his current job where he can be driving for 12 hours all over the country.
Just sitting here
Go round and round...

There can't be to many other jobs with this level duty/shift flexibility you can nearly always find duty to fit your appointments and lifestyle. I ,ve done late nites for 20 years no need to be scared it's simple you question nobody just record what you see or make out reports etc just keep the wheels rolling keeps the punters happy.
Lately I have done 3 weeks of middles 10/11 am/12 pm starts till 7/8 pm finishes and some 7/8 am starts till 3/4/5 pm finishes really enjoyed these dutys even on Dudley rd, it seems the vast majority of punters,re proper fare paying customers during the day , different story during the evenings.
I might start doing more of these dutys in future.

Crosville

Even though i'm not a driver just an enthusiast, i'm always advocate of this, if you have free time, buy a day ticket, & try & go on all the routes operated by the depot you've chosen to work from, that'll help even more more with route, although learning,schools/specials might be tricky though.

DJ

Quote from: Crosville on April 30, 2019, 01:41:48 PM
Even though i'm not a driver just an enthusiast, i'm always advocate of this, if you have free time, buy a day ticket, & try & go on all the routes operated by the depot you've chosen to work from, that'll help even more more with route, although learning,schools/specials might be tricky though.

School services ran by NXWM are open to the general public, so you could do those too. It would mean putting up with school kids, though.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

P419 EJW

Quote from: Crosville on April 30, 2019, 01:41:48 PM

Can use route map on network west midlands website. Type in a school route, click on the map, and learn it on there.

PinkBus

Update:- He went for the interview on Tuesday at Miller Street and passed the all the tests and the interview went really well, so now he has to go for his medical next Tuesday at 51 Bordersley Green.

Fingers crossed that goes ok and then hopefully he will get his start date for training.

Thank you to everyone who has answered this thread and sent private messages. I'm really grateful.
Just sitting here
Go round and round...

PinkBus

Quote from: 2900 on April 30, 2019, 11:32:45 AM
There can't be to many other jobs with this level duty/shift flexibility you can nearly always find duty to fit your appointments and lifestyle. I ,ve done late nites for 20 years no need to be scared it's simple you question nobody just record what you see or make out reports etc just keep the wheels rolling keeps the punters happy.
Lately I have done 3 weeks of middles 10/11 am/12 pm starts till 7/8 pm finishes and some 7/8 am starts till 3/4/5 pm finishes really enjoyed these dutys even on Dudley rd, it seems the vast majority of punters,re proper fare paying customers during the day , different story during the evenings.
I might start doing more of these dutys in future.

Thanks for this, that has actually answered a question I had about nights. I was a bit concerned about him doing them, but now I'm not so worried.

Might get on your bus during the daytime then when your are on the Dudley Road routes as I live on and use the 89. I'm always polite and say hello and thank drivers when I get off the bus!!
Just sitting here
Go round and round...

PinkBus

Just wanted to update this one more time.

Well after a extremely long wait from our doctors (he's type 2 diabetes and had to have a letter sent to DVLA confirming he is ok to hold a provisional PSV licence,) his licence finally came back today all ok which was a great relief.

He phoned up NXWM and has to take his theory test on 09/09/19 at Walsall garage. Hopefully (when) he passes that, he'll be given his date for training to start and he'll be a fully fledged bus driver by the end of the year.
Just sitting here
Go round and round...

Wumpty

Congratulations to your hubby @PinkBus - he'll have a blast working at NXWM.

I know everyone will offer you both advice and, given he's been driving since 1984, he'll already have a driving style. I've been driving for 27 years and I have a very subtle observation style in terms or mirrors, special awareness and have learned to make that more pronounced since I had a fairly recent driving assessment at work.

My advice would to be to give a Police, Camera, Action type of running commentary as he's driving so the examiners know he's actually performing his mirror checks, observations, road conditions and road signs. It can be very daunting to begin with but it gave the examiner confidence in me and I actually enjoyed doing it!

I'm sure he'll pass and do very well - good luck!!!!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

jag1123

I have also just had an interview and driving assessment and passed that but am little unsure about what happens after you pass your theory are you then told to hand your notice into your current job or can you do the training and adjust your current job to fit around it or would it be best to go onto a zero hour contract at your current job as it would be shame to hand your notice in and then fail the driving test any idea on how this process works thanks

PinkBus

Quote from: Wumpty on August 09, 2019, 10:06:29 AM
Congratulations to your hubby @PinkBus - he'll have a blast working at NXWM.

I know everyone will offer you both advice and, given he's been driving since 1984, he'll already have a driving style. I've been driving for 27 years and I have a very subtle observation style in terms or mirrors, special awareness and have learned to make that more pronounced since I had a fairly recent driving assessment at work.

My advice would to be to give a Police, Camera, Action type of running commentary as he's driving so the examiners know he's actually performing his mirror checks, observations, road conditions and road signs. It can be very daunting to begin with but it gave the examiner confidence in me and I actually enjoyed doing it!

I'm sure he'll pass and do very well - good luck!!!!

Thank you for your lovely message, I will pass that suggestion  on to him. He's really looking forward to passing his theory test and beginning training. It's been  a long wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
Just sitting here
Go round and round...

PinkBus

Well, my husband passed both theory and hazard awareness tests on Monday, I think I was probably more nervous than he was! He is now revising for the case study test which he is taking at Walsall next Monday, they offered him a cancellation so he took it.

I've got my fingers crossed that he will pass this last text and will then be given a date to start training at Walsall garage.

Just sitting here
Go round and round...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk