News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Borders Buses

Started by CL, April 18, 2019, 07:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CL

Quote from: Wikipedia
Borders Buses is a bus company based in Berwick-upon-Tweed, England.

Borders Buses can trace its origins back to 1972, when a taxi service commenced operating in the small village of Burnmouth in the Scottish Borders under the Perryman's banner, before moving to new larger premises in Berwick-upon-Tweed in 2002. In 2013 a second depot was opened in St Boswells following the winning of a number of routes previously operated by Munro's of Jedburgh. In February 2016, the business was sold by Richard Perryman to West Coast Motors.

In 2016, Perryman's took over several services from First Scotland East. In July 2017, the business was rebranded as Borders Buses.

As of August 2018, Borders Buses operated 40 services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borders_Buses

Some of you may or may not have seen that Borders Buses have taken delivery of three full length Enviro 400 MMCs.

These three buses have been fitted with bicycle racks; storing up to two bikes at a time, currently. There are plans, as the branding above the door suggests, to expand the bicycle-carrying capacity to four. I believe another operator to carrry bike-racks on board are the Stagecoach Lakesider, with their Open Top B5TLs. Any thoughts on this?

Additionally, for the next two weeks, it looks as though Borders Buses has the new E200MMC demonstrator (YX19 OWA) on loan; which features that new ironing-board-like seating with (e)leather trim, USB/Wireless charging, and ADL's SmartVision cameras - like that on NXWM's 6937.

It'll work between Gala & Carlisle on the first week, and then Edinburgh & Hawick (presumably on the X95) for the second. Hoping to catch a photo of it, when I'm in Edinburgh in a few days time.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Dylanbusboy45

On the subject of these new MMCs, yes I had seen they were getting some new buses early this year, when someone posted a mock up of the livery. Very smart looking, hopefully will be able to see one later this year, and get a ride on one at some point. On the subject of bikes, it seems that 'touristic' are the hotspots for them, indeed the Lake District B5TLs have them, and before that I think some single decks did. On the Isle of Wight, some old London PVLs for a summer closed top tour service had bike space though they are now withdrawn, I think they may allow bike on the open toppers but not sure. Another one is the GWR Bike Bus that First operate for Rail Replacements, a concerted Dennis Dart, but other than that i can't think of anymore. Certainly seems like a good idea if it's going to increase patronage!

On the subject of that MMC demo @CL , you won't see it in Edinburgh City if it's just doing Galashiels to Carlisle on the first week. They also have the older red MMC400 demo YX67UZB and 4 Scania MMCs that I expect will be supplementing the new MMCs, YN16CFU an ex demo, and three 66 plates that were new to Reading Buses before they got their Blue gas MMCs - so look out for those too !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk