News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Legal Tender

Started by Ginger66, September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Why do MML refuse the legal £20 & £50 bank notes for trips on a consumed journey.  A good 95% of my notes are £20 notes.

Dom

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM
Why do MML refuse the legal £20 & £50 bank notes for trips on a consumed journey.  A good 95% of my notes are £20 notes.

Because itd require too much change when most fares are £5 or less. Also more time consuming having to deal with the change, checking the note is really etc.

Tony

Quote from: Ginger66 on September 26, 2018, 06:41:35 AM

Well make sure you have something smaller before boarding. Not sure why 95% of your notes are £20, whenever I use a cashpoint to withdraw £40 the normal combination it will give me is 1x£20 & 2x£10. I know they do sometimes give 2x£20 when they are running low, but an easy way to make sure you have a £10 is to ask for an amount like £30; 50; 70etc.

There is one cashpoint in Lloyds, New Street that still issues £5 notes

DJ

Quote from: Tony on September 26, 2018, 08:24:52 AM
Well make sure you have something smaller before boarding. Not sure why 95% of your notes are £20, whenever I use a cashpoint to withdraw £40 the normal combination it will give me is 1x£20 & 2x£10. I know they do sometimes give 2x£20 when they are running low, but an easy way to make sure you have a £10 is to ask for an amount like £30; 50; 70etc.

Or do what I do and break a £20 if I have one spare by buying a drink or something, since I'll usually need change at some point in the near future. The Metro also takes card, so if you can take money out at a machine, surely you could just pay by card on board? Better yet, just get a Swift PAYG card and have it auto renew from your bank card, since you'll then get cheaper fares and it'll save you needing to carry cash as much.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

the trainbasher

I've used a £20 on the metro for a £1 city hop and they've had no problems accepting it.

Quote from: Dom on September 26, 2018, 07:55:56 AM
Because itd require too much change when most fares are £5 or less. Also more time consuming having to deal with the change, checking the note is really etc.

No excuse for that. If it's good enough for a bus operator to accept a £20 without checking at point of use for a less than £5 fare, it's good enough for the metro.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

BK63 YWP

The amount of forged £20 notes, they accept contactless, swift etc so it's up to them if they accept £20 and breaking a £20 for a city hop... I would of just walked
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Ginger66

Quote from: Tony on September 26, 2018, 08:24:52 AM

Cashpoint at work on campus only issues mainly £20 notes  and when i request amount i only get 2 fivers and rest us the higher value notes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk