News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Future routes i want to see

Started by Ginger66, August 02, 2018, 09:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

There is another disued line that rus from Tettenhall to Brierley Hill.    Now the south staffordshire railway walk.  I would love to see trams going from Tettenhall to Pensnett. With options to run to Dudley or Merry Hill at a later date.

l.murphy123

A Walsall link would be good... the disused Wolvo-Walsall line would be perfect. Though, apparently WMCA are going to reopen it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walsall–Wolverhampton_line
Chairman of GWCH Community group and frequent user of...
   NXWM | 31, 34, 59, 60, 79, 529, X51, X529
   Diamond | 31, 57
   Chaserider | 2, 70
   Select | 71
   West Midland Metro | The Crescent

Kevin

Ooo a nice fantasy topic for us. Time to have my ideas ridiculed.

Quote from: l.murphy123 on August 03, 2018, 12:29:07 AM
A Walsall link would be good... the disused Wolvo-Walsall line would be perfect. Though, apparently WMCA are going to reopen it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walsall–Wolverhampton_line

The current train line is what they're planning to reopen, with possible stations at Darlaston James Bridge and Willenhall. The original plan for the tram was the other Walsall - Wolves line via Bentley, Willenhall (Temple Bar, other side of the town from the railway) and Wednesfield. But it all went rather quiet on that front

Quote from: Ginger66 on August 02, 2018, 09:41:53 PM
There is another disued line that rus from Tettenhall to Brierley Hill.    Now the south staffordshire railway walk.  I would love to see trams going from Tettenhall to Pensnett. With options to run to Dudley or Merry Hill at a later date.

That is one option I'd always considered. Extend the above Walsall service west out of Wolves along the Tettenhall Road and onto the old railway formation, then down to Castlecroft with half of the trams terminating there and say 3/4 per hour continuing through Wombourne to Pensnett, then potential to head into Dudley via Russell's Hall. The latter stretch could see other trams through from the Wednesbury (or beyond from Walsall and Darlaston like the original plan was)

I would have liked to see the other old railway line from Priestfield to Dudley brought into use by trams, perhaps swinging west off the current tram line just south of Bilston to cross to the old Dudley route, but I think sections of that line have been built on now.

I think the Brierley Hill extension, whenever that actually comes about, should extend further down to Stourbridge Junction and take over the Town branch

One pure fantasy idea of mine was a tram line up the Kingstanding Road, but their insistence of segregating the tram stops from the rest of the road would be an issue and I don't think the redevelopment around Perry Barr will leave any ounce of space for anything more than the road. South of Aston Six Ways I either imagined it running via Park Lane, Aston Cross, Gosta Green and the Eastside development or Summer Lane and somehow onto the current tram line at St Chad's

Another fantasy one was something up the Dudley Road out of the city (or as a branch off from the current line between Jewellery Quarter and Soho, coming down Western Road for City Hospital), then onto the old Harborne Railway to the Hagley Road and join an extended line from Five Ways to Bearwood. Don't think there's much point now though, City Hospital moving and all.

My last idea is already dead and buried now. A Bristol Road line seems impossible now with the works for the cycle lanes, and a branch off that at Selly Oak along the old canal towards Halesowen can't happen as they're restoring the Lapal Canal. But then beyond Halesowen this would have followed the river to Cradley Heath (the old railway line to Old Hill I believe is mostly built on now, but this side I believe there's space) and on to Merry Hill
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tiptonian

Let us not just consider the "where", but also the "how" before it is to late and another shipload of money is tipped into the insatiable tramway pit. It is now over a decade since TfWM and its ancestors should have supported local industry and got behind a low-cost Full Hybrid transport system produced by Parrys People Mover. For what has been spent so far on one line, a whole network of PPMs could have been completed by now, and would probably have made a significant profit.   

Kevin

Quote from: Tiptonian on August 03, 2018, 01:26:49 PM
Let us not just consider the "where", but also the "how" before it is to late and another shipload of money is tipped into the insatiable tramway pit. It is now over a decade since TfWM and its ancestors should have supported local industry and got behind a low-cost Full Hybrid transport system produced by Parrys People Mover. For what has been spent so far on one line, a whole network of PPMs could have been completed by now, and would probably have made a significant profit.

Be honest, given how much seemingly every project gets delayed and goes over budget do you really think the PPM would be immune to that?
Besides. "Future routes I want to see" fairly obvious this is just for fantasy?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk