News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

INIT - Ticket Machines

Started by Jack D, September 28, 2017, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Quote from: Dom on May 21, 2018, 08:12:40 PM
I've noticed an issue where your pass scans flashes green then as soon as you take it off it flashes red and says 'Present One Card'. Not sure if this is the issue you're noticing.

That is it.

I am only presenting one card though.

John

Quote from: Westy on May 21, 2018, 08:41:35 PM
That is it.

I am only presenting one card though.

A lot of the time, if you take your card off too quickly, it will come up red after going green for some reason

Westy

Quote from: John on May 21, 2018, 09:08:44 PM
A lot of the time, if you take your card off too quickly, it will come up red after going green for some reason

That's probably it.

lauren1993

Give it a year they'll join the bandwagon and get Ticketer's like more or less every other big operator. Don't see why they didn't just get them in the first place. Everyone else I've spoken to says they are fantastic ticket machines and everyone I've spoken to about the INIT's says they're awful.
Favourite buses currently:
871, 1828, 4421, 4764, 6101, 6108, 6116, 6118, 6121, 6848, 6849
Least favourite buses currently:
4203, 4213, 4398, 4419

Dom

Quote from: lauren1993 on May 22, 2018, 04:07:25 AM
Give it a year they'll join the bandwagon and get Ticketer's like more or less every other big operator. Don't see why they didn't just get them in the first place. Everyone else I've spoken to says they are fantastic ticket machines and everyone I've spoken to about the INIT's says they're awful.

I beg to differ! First of all, why would they get ticketers when they've spent millions of pounds on the Init machines? Secondly, the ticketers are poor machines, unreliable, slow, doesn't even come close to the INIT machines. Thirdly, I think the Init machines are great, yes there are teething problems but up until last month when I tried to pay on card on a diamond bus they either didn't know how or it "wasn't working".

Init is still being updated and improved.

Tony

Quote from: Dom on May 22, 2018, 08:11:05 AM
I beg to differ! First of all, why would they get ticketers when they've spent millions of pounds on the Init machines? Secondly, the ticketers are poor machines, unreliable, slow, doesn't even come close to the INIT machines. Thirdly, I think the Init machines are great, yes there are teething problems but up until last month when I tried to pay on card on a diamond bus they either didn't know how or it "wasn't working".

Correct Dom

Ticketer is a machine built to a standard spec with software written for individual needs of operators.

The Init machines are unique to National Express because they have been designed, hardware and software, to meet the exact needs of the company including things like the remote printer which does speed bording up with passengers used to it.

No other operator in the UK is able to do what NX are doing yet with the ticketless price capping on contactless other than TfL

Straightlines

Quote from: Dom on May 22, 2018, 08:11:05 AM

From what I've seen personally that is probably more related to Diamond's ability to train their staff effectively rather than a reflection on the Ticketer Machine.

I would be interested to hear what experience you have had in being able to justify your comments on how Ticketer machines are 'Poor Machines'  'Unreliable' and 'Slow'.

The general feedback from operators on Ticketer (both large and small) has been extremely positive.

Steveminor

I have a question about nxwm ticketless contact payment.
Trading standards requires that you should be able to get a receipt if you make a contactless payment if you request one unless it is an unattended terminal. So is not giving a ticket at all legal?

Diamond are all fine & legal as they issue a ticket.

Dom

Quote from: Straightlines on May 22, 2018, 02:22:43 PM
From what I've seen personally that is probably more related to Diamond's ability to train their staff effectively rather than a reflection on the Ticketer Machine.

I would be interested to hear what experience you have had in being able to justify your comments on how Ticketer machines are 'Poor Machines'  'Unreliable' and 'Slow'.

The general feedback from operators on Ticketer (both large and small) has been extremely positive.

Poor machines, In the last week, I've caught 3 diamond buses, the scanner on 2 of them was not working. Which in my personal opinion is showing that machines are unreliable.

Slow, the driver is having to specifically choose a fare stage the ticket is valid to, search through several menus to find a specific ticket. On each screen there is a lower number of tickets on offer compared to INIT. Meaning the driver is searching for longer. If you wanted a nBus day ticket, on Init it is one menu away, singles, daysavers, travelcards, short hops are all on the main screen with INIT.

Whilst I'm not saying INIT is perfect, I personally believe they are better than Ticketers.

MW

Quote from: Dom on May 22, 2018, 04:59:14 PM
Poor machines, In the last week, I've caught 3 diamond buses, the scanner on 2 of them was not working. Which in my personal opinion is showing that machines are unreliable.

Slow, the driver is having to specifically choose a fare stage the ticket is valid to, search through several menus to find a specific ticket. On each screen there is a lower number of tickets on offer compared to INIT. Meaning the driver is searching for longer. If you wanted a nBus day ticket, on Init it is one menu away, singles, daysavers, travelcards, short hops are all on the main screen with INIT.

Whilst I'm not saying INIT is perfect, I personally believe they are better than Ticketers.

I had a Ticketer machine that began releasing smoke out of the back. The bus was parked in the sun. The machine was roasting! And then the screen started pressing random buttons itself. Had to rip the wiring out before it started issuing tickets!

Tony

Quote from: Dom on May 22, 2018, 04:59:14 PM

That is the advantage of buying a completely bespoke piece of kit.

National Express asked people from allover the business including the unions what they wanted the machine to do. Gave the spec' to Init and they have designed the machine around what NX wants.

With Ticketer operators get a standard piece of kit that is adapted where possible to operators needs.

Dom

Quote from: Tony on May 22, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

National Express asked people from allover the business including the unions what they wanted the machine to do. Gave the spec' to Init and they have designed the machine around what NX wants.

With Ticketer operators get a standard piece of kit that is adapted where possible to operators needs.

Exactly! Part of the reason why I believe that INIT is better than Ticketer. Unlike some on here, I can easily back up my points and give valid reasons about why I feel this.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Dom on May 22, 2018, 08:06:36 PM
Exactly! Part of the reason why I believe that INIT is better than Ticketer. Unlike some on here, I can easily back up my points and give valid reasons about why I feel this.

What's the cost difference between the two??

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on May 22, 2018, 06:07:23 PM

The disadvantage of a bespoke system is that it has proved troublesome at times integrating the system with standard industry leading software.

I remember the issues Hertfordshire County Council experienced with introducing the INIT machines and the lack of long term uptake from certain operators.

Jay

can i ask i will going to brum next week and will be paying by debit card do you the same ask swift PAYG and hold it until the driver issue the ticket?

I might and have misted the posting on this if so sorry
My The Force Be With You PN Garage

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train_nut/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk