News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

INIT - Ticket Machines

Started by Jack D, September 28, 2017, 07:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dom

Tony

Quote from: Jack D on November 18, 2017, 09:20:26 PM
46 Birmingham - Perry Barr 46 West Brom - Great Barr

If you look at a ticket off the West Bromwich 46 you will see the route showing as the H46

CL

Presumably, the H is for Hamstead? ???
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jack

Quote from: CL on November 19, 2017, 10:25:32 AM
The old 406H? Gone are the days of B6's and 0405N's being thrashed to death on Newton Road.

Tony

Quote from: CL on November 19, 2017, 10:25:32 AM

Damn youngsters not knowing their heritage! :-)

H is for West Bromwich
N is for Wolverhampton

Dom

Quote from: Tony on November 19, 2017, 10:26:45 AM

Damn youngsters not knowing their heritage! :-)

H is for West Bromwich
N is for Wolverhampton

W for some Walsall routes as well don't forget!

CL

Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Squiz1971

Quote from: Dom on November 19, 2017, 10:30:37 AM
W for some Walsall routes as well don't forget!
Walsall Corp buses had the L suffix on the end of their numbers in the WMPTE changeover. As Coventry had the Y suffix too. Not sure if this would be the same for the route duplications over the municipalities @Dom

Haven't used any buses since I got a car so have not had the pleasure of the new tickets yet

JoNi

Coventry tickets have C before the route number.
Thought I read somewhere the Y for Coventry was got rid of because it was mistaken for 7 on paperwork. I'm sure others around at the time would know the reason.

Tony

Coventry service numbers have always started with a 'C' and were registered with VOSA as C.. up to a few years back. Apart from Coventry, Walsall was the first place where duplicate service numbers appeared, so were prefixed W if the clashed. The 70 was just put is as 70 as there wasn't a 70 in Birmingham then.

When the duplicates appeared in West Bromwich and Wolverhampton W couldn't be used so they reverted to the old bus codes of H & N, and when the 70 was introduced in Birmingham because Walsall was using plain 70 the Coleshill route was in Ticket Machines as the B70

paulb1973

Quote from: Tony on November 20, 2017, 01:19:31 PM
Coventry service numbers have always started with a 'C' and were registered with VOSA as C.. up to a few years back. Apart from Coventry, Walsall was the first place where duplicate service numbers appeared, so were prefixed W if the clashed. The 70 was just put is as 70 as there wasn't a 70 in Birmingham then.

When the duplicates appeared in West Bromwich and Wolverhampton W couldn't be used so they reverted to the old bus codes of H & N, and when the 70 was introduced in Birmingham because Walsall was using plain 70 the Coleshill route was in Ticket Machines as the B70

I'm trying to think if any buses/bus companies have ever displayed a 'C' before the number actually on the number blinds - but I can't think of any off-hand, even going back to the days of Vanguard Travel etc.

Looking at the current NWM guide to Coventry, the only duplicate service numbers [with different companies] is the '18' - an NXC one and an occasional Stagecoach one, if you exclude all the U & X prefixed services. Think there's been two 48's previously.

Tony

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 20, 2017, 02:41:36 PM
I'm trying to think if any buses/bus companies have ever displayed a 'C' before the number actually on the number blinds - but I can't think of any off-hand, even going back to the days of Vanguard Travel etc.

Looking at the current NWM guide to Coventry, the only duplicate service numbers [with different companies] is the '18' - an NXC one and an occasional Stagecoach one, if you exclude all the U & X prefixed services. Think there's been two 48's previously.

Didn't Stagecoach display the C on a couple of tendered routes they operated about 10 years ago.

One operator definitely did.

With duplicate service numbers I mean where Coventry one duplicated Birmingham ones, that is why the C was used

paulb1973

Quote from: Tony on November 20, 2017, 02:44:20 PM
Didn't Stagecoach display the C on a couple of tendered routes they operated about 10 years ago.

One operator definitely did.

With duplicate service numbers I mean where Coventry one duplicated Birmingham ones, that is why the C was used

I've come across this picture on Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108923052@N02/32072748243/in/photolist-QSadDZ-nDZr7m-nnGqcc-ppVMkV-nC95ph-fJWtsL-8KGSzj-ovfY4F-nDX7d2-nE2KV9-nM19z4-nnGKhs-nnK3ST-nCcqWo-nnKmwS-nCbtN7-8WNkKm-mabDeF-nEdx1b-nDUTkx-oUYHXs-nDW34T-nDX4Nc-nEdtAq-8dv2AN-nDTdm2-nEf9Bv-d6tbA5-kH9KEr-nG1QcB-nCcjwQ-9Sk4Un-nE2okL-nDWHWi-aFVr74-nnHnd4-nE1jbA-nnK58C-nnGSRx-nCc3XJ-nEf9hH-dYnB7A-nEeiad-nnKG5B-ceHUfs-nnJ8jm-FD6eGW-9Bb2LS-nVoDWz-8uoXnB

Could that be Midland Red South providing a Sunday (or even an evening) service on WMT route 5 City, Pool Meadow - Coundon? They did a few other Sunday services (23 to Allesley Park just after deregulation I seem to recall, is one example).

Gareth

Quote from: JoNi on November 20, 2017, 12:57:54 PM
Thought I read somewhere the Y for Coventry was got rid of because it was mistaken for 7 on paperwork. I'm sure others around at the time would know the reason.

Yes, I believe that was true. Think I first saw it many years ago in Malcolm Keeley's book on WMPTE. Coventry fleetnumbers had 1000 added to their ex Coventry number. For example 123Y became 1123.

Squiz1971

Quote from: JoNi on November 20, 2017, 12:57:54 PM
Yes it was @JoNi instead 1000 was added to the fleet numbers

Sorry only just seen the above reply

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk