News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Scania N94U's (6022-6032)

Started by YN64AOG, August 06, 2017, 10:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: DeanM66A on August 08, 2017, 01:50:51 PM
Perhaps there's somebody out there who has up to date information, but it does surprise me that more Scania artics are working now than Merecedes artics given how much more successful the Citaros are in the rest of the world.
Go Ahead have some Citaros in Brighton, Arriva have some at East Midlands.  Do they still operate at Stansted?  First York? McGills?
And for those who like their Scania artics, here's a nearly new one:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69947186@N08/35635516513/in/dateposted/

Yes all those listed above are still in service. The Go Ahead ones at Brighton are some of the more newer ex London ones (57 plates i think). As a subscriber to the Londoner magazine there wa srecently an article about the London bendy. This is the amount of London Bendys still in service across the country according to that article:

Arriva Midlands-8
Brighton-20
First South West-3
Konectbus-2
Manchester Airport-2
McGills-5
OFJ Parking Gatwick-11
Peoplesbus Liverpool-1
Uno-2
Beaverbus Leicester-4
Total - 58 + 1 preserved (MAL15)

(Most of the companies listed above do have more than above but they are SORN)
And although not ex London, First York do still have there bendys in service. The National Express ones which I think are used at Gatwick/Stansted are all listed as SORN but they may have had some new which are of course not ex London examples and may still be in service

andyr

What amazes me is that were the only country in Europe with this perception of Bendi Buses not being a good vehicle. Every city in Europe seems able to operate them successfully.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: andyr on August 11, 2017, 10:24:02 PM
What amazes me is that were the only country in Europe with this perception of Bendi Buses not being a good vehicle. Every city in Europe seems able to operate them successfully.

I think there are two reason for this.  First, artics take up alot of space, which there seems to be less of in British cities than in other European cities.  Second, most British passengers are less willing to stand than European passengers are.

The good old double decker takes up less space and is therefore more manoeuvrable, and it also offers a greater standard of comfort for passengers.

Tony

Quote from: Justin Tyme on August 12, 2017, 01:31:11 PM
I think there are two reason for this.  First, artics take up alot of space, which there seems to be less of in British cities than in other European cities.  Second, most British passengers are less willing to stand than European passengers are.

The good old double decker takes up less space and is therefore more manoeuvrable, and it also offers a greater standard of comfort for passengers.

Double decker is cheaper to buy and cheaper to operate. A lot of European cities have a height limit of 4metres making double decks less attractive for local work

YN64AOG

One exception to the space rule is Singapore.  They have lots of bendi's and haver hardly any space!

Just re-done my website.  Check it out to see all my photos.  Updated almost every day!

MW

I've never paid attention to this until today. The destination displays on 6022-6032. Are they Mobitec? They're not Hanover are they? Even the side Dot Matrix displays aren't standard.

They look the same as the ones Diamond has on their new buses. These were the first new buses fitted with LED displays, so for whatever reason, 4635-4679 which were the next lot of buses with front LEDs don't have this display type. I wonder why?

CL

Quote from: MW on January 08, 2018, 11:26:41 PM
I've never paid attention to this until today. The destination displays on 6022-6032. Are they Mobitec? They're not Hanover are they? Even the side Dot Matrix displays aren't standard.

They look the same as the ones Diamond has on their new buses. These were the first new buses fitted with LED displays, so for whatever reason, 4635-4679 which were the next lot of buses with front LEDs don't have this display type. I wonder why?
Yes, mobitec. The original Dundee Geminis 7001-7018 have them as well; both batches are 54 reg, so i'm pretty sure it holds some relevance. (A preference for buses that were ordered at the time?)

There's a few photos on the main site with Presidents fitted with Mobitec Displays. 4055 (LED) and 4056 (Flip Dot) - perhaps trials? There was another President with a front Hanover flip dot display as well. EDIT: 4054
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

MW

Quote from: CL on January 09, 2018, 12:20:58 AM
Yes, mobitec. The original Dundee Geminis 7001-7018 have them as well; both batches are 54 reg, so i'm pretty sure it holds some relevance. (A preference for buses that were ordered at the time?)

There's a few photos on the main site with Presidents fitted with Mobitec Displays. 4055 (LED) and 4056 (Flip Dot) - perhaps trials? There was another President with a front Hanover flip dot display as well. EDIT: 4054

I'm mind blown. I've never noticed it before lol.

The Scanias were originally delivered in August & September of 2004.
The Dundee Geminis & the first 20 Acocks Green ones (4635-4654) and the first 12 Perry Barr ones (4658-4669) were all delivered in October 2014.

It must have just been a trial then. I'm glad Mobitec displays didn't become a permanent thing then. Hanover displays look so much smarter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk