News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Which main bus corridor(s) into the city centre are most/least congested?

Started by :D, June 11, 2017, 11:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

Stratford and Coventry Road corridor can get very busy at times, although I think it's not that bad in comparison to other bus corridors.

Broad Street corridor is probably the most congested corridor into the city centre.

The least busiest bus corridor is probably Perry Barr corridor - even though it gets a lot of car traffic, it's not very congested.

Does anyone have better idea?

GeminiFan1991

I would imagine the Hagley Road doesn't have it easy but in my experience, I live off the 97 route and Bordesley Green usually isn't that bad. Most of my journeys into City Centre have been relatively traffic free.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Jack

Quote from: :D on June 11, 2017, 11:43:13 PM

The least busiest bus corridor is probably Perry Barr corridor - even though it gets a lot of car traffic, it's not very congested.

Perry Barr isn't that busy usually. Only if a motorway is closed or a major RTC has happened then it's busy. Unless your waiting at Harrier Way for 5 minutes because of the traffic lights which have lost sync.

Worst is Stratford Road in my opinion. You can be slowly moving for ages. Yesterday I was on 1920 which slowly crawled through along the Eid traffic.

Alum Rock is another bad one. Nutters parking on double yellows is the main reason 14's appear late.

MW

Quote from: Jack B on June 12, 2017, 12:26:13 AM
Perry Barr isn't that busy usually. Only if a motorway is closed or a major RTC has happened then it's busy. Unless your waiting at Harrier Way for 5 minutes because of the traffic lights which have lost sync.

Worst is Stratford Road in my opinion. You can be slowly moving for ages. Yesterday I was on 1920 which slowly crawled through along the Eid traffic.

Alum Rock is another bad one. Nutters parking on double yellows is the main reason 14's appear late.

Eid is in two weeks lol. It's Ramadan traffic atm. I think last year, buses were diverted away from Stratford Road a few days before Eid/on Eid. I seem to remember buses rerouted to Stoney Lane (3 route)

Mike K

Harborne corridor is horrific at peak times. I'm sure Tony has posted that it's the most delayed set of routes in to the city. Sheer volume of traffic is the issue.

Jack

Quote from: MW on June 12, 2017, 01:50:31 AM
Eid is in two weeks lol. It's Ramadan traffic atm. I think last year, buses were diverted away from Stratford Road a few days before Eid/on Eid. I seem to remember buses rerouted to Stoney Lane (3 route)
Yeah I remember the 2 being rerouted along Stoney Lane. The 37 was rerouted somewhere off Warwick Road. Think it was Golden Hillock Road.

Quote from: :D on June 11, 2017, 11:43:13 PM
Stratford and Coventry Road corridor can get very busy at times, although I think it's not that bad in comparison to other bus corridors.

Broad Street corridor is probably the most congested corridor into the city centre.

Stratford Road and Alum Rock Road, get very busy and congested.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on June 12, 2017, 05:30:31 PM
Stratford Road and Alum Rock Road, get very busy and congested.
Saint Paul's Road in Smethwick gets bad in rush hour. The parking isn't great either.

monkeyjoe

I reckon the Soho Rd is most congested.

The Washwood heath corridor is probably not as congested as most, not sure if that has chNged these days

Quote from: monkeyjoe on June 12, 2017, 06:16:16 PM
I reckon the Soho Rd is most congested.

The Washwood heath corridor is probably not as congested as most, not sure if that has chNged these days
The Washwood Heath Road isn't as congested as some.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

D10

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on June 11, 2017, 11:57:12 PM
I would imagine the Hagley Road doesn't have it easy but in my experience, I live off the 97 route and Bordesley Green usually isn't that bad. Most of my journeys into City Centre have been relatively traffic free.

97 can vary massively from my experiences. If there is trouble in the City or on the Middleway near Garrison Circus, can be awful.  :-[

Jack

Quote from: D10 on June 12, 2017, 08:39:38 PM
97 can vary massively from my experiences. If there is trouble in the City or on the Middleway near Garrison Circus, can be awful.  :-[
Or when Blues are playing.

Lukeee

Soho road or Stratford road are the worse I believe. Perry Barr has it quite easy compared to the other corridors as its got the overpasses and underpasses to help the traffic flow

Walsall1955

Back in the 1970's WMPTE published some congestion statistics (and bus vs rail journey time comparisons) on a selected number of commuter corridors into Birmingham, see:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/walsall1955/35270903696/in/dateposted-public/

Brummie45

Washwood Heath in evening rush hour can be very bad. It's taken me over a hour before now to do a 30 minute journey on the 94.

Main problem is traffic lights at Drews Lane causing traffic to queue up the hill past Aston Church Road lights. This in turn queues back sometimes to Saltley Gate.
Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk