News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Tram 17

Started by wembley86, May 14, 2016, 01:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wembley86

Does anyone know what has happened to this tram. Has i have heard there never ever was or will be a tram 17 and that the current fleet runs from 18 - 37  (20 trams), 

Tony

Quote from: wembley86 on May 14, 2016, 01:28:57 PM
Does anyone know what has happened to this tram. Has i have heard there never ever was or will be a tram 17 and that the current fleet runs from 18 - 37  (20 trams),

Why not just look at the main site first, where you will see a photo of tram 17

wembley86

Yes seen the photo, but a NX employee this morning told someone at WB Bus station that tram 17 does not exist at all

Tony

Quote from: wembley86 on May 14, 2016, 06:39:17 PM
Yes seen the photo, but a NX employee this morning told someone at WB Bus station that tram 17 does not exist at all

I do not do fake photos

windy miller

I can promise you tram 17 does exist!. If you look through the fencing at wednesbury it is (or was) the tram that appears to be isolated over the far side of the perimeter fence. as far as I know it may still be there now.... :)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: windy miller on May 15, 2016, 08:15:00 PM
I can promise you tram 17 does exist!. If you look through the fencing at wednesbury it is (or was) the tram that appears to be isolated over the far side of the perimeter fence. as far as I know it may still be there now.... :)

Why isn't tram 17 used?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

T840MAK

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 15, 2016, 08:28:05 PM
Why isn't tram 17 used?

Because it's stored, as they don't need all the trams which are delivered for service.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: T840MAK on May 15, 2016, 08:55:39 PM
Because it's stored, as they don't need all the trams which are delivered for service.

Thanks @T840MAK , just seems strange that you order brand new trams costing an awful lot of money and then you put them into store?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Kevin

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on May 15, 2016, 09:00:53 PM
Thanks @T840MAK , just seems strange that you order brand new trams costing an awful lot of money and then you put them into store?

Route extension / frequency increase incoming, surely you wouldn't expect them to not have enough trams for that
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

WMT3000

Quote from: T840MAK on May 15, 2016, 08:55:39 PM
17 is stored because it's currently a non-runner. A lot of parts have been removed to supplement other trams, particularly in the 18 to 25 number range. Rumour has it that it will be shipped back to the factory to be re-built at some point. It was originally intended that 17 would enter service with the first batch of Urbos trams - it was used on test during spring/summer 2014 but was stored once the need arose to cannibalise it.

Stevo

One will be shipped back to Spain to have the batteries fitted - could it be 17?

WMT3000

Quote from: Stevo on May 16, 2016, 01:10:26 PM
One will be shipped back to Spain to have the batteries fitted - could it be 17?
That would make sense - they could re-fit the replacement parts at the same time.

wembley86

surely would'nt it have easier to get that parts ordered and shipped as both MM and Edinburgh tram uses the same tram.

windy miller

Quote from: wembley86 on May 16, 2016, 06:03:16 PM
surely would'nt it have easier to get that parts ordered and shipped as both MM and Edinburgh tram uses the same tram.

The Edinburgh trams are made by the same company but at different locations....The Edinburgh tram depot at gogarburn last Wednesday had no less than 15 units (all clearly visible) with 9 units in service. This is increased to 10 in the peak  leaving 3 remaining trams either under (temp)maintenance (273) or long term casualties..(251/257) All units are programmed on a weekly basis to even out mileages.  The extra units were originally ordered on the premise that there would be options to extend the system at a later date but the proposals have since been scuppered by escalating cost estimates.  A new (public) access bridge was installed near the Gyle centre on Thursday (12th May)
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

WMT3000

Quote from: wembley86 on May 16, 2016, 06:03:16 PM
I agree, that would seem sensible - only problem is they might have to send technicians/fitters over from Spain along with the parts. Originally there were CAF staff on hand but they went back to Spain and Portugal a while back. In the long run it may be cheaper and easier to return it. It may even have already been contractually agreed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk