News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NX moving on upwards

Started by Tony, October 16, 2015, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: countryliner on October 17, 2015, 11:03:45 PM
Thanks. Yes unfortunetly i agree that NXWM are probably unlikely to remove their fareboxes and start giving change. Although it would be quite possible and reasonable for them to start giving change. For example Arriva / First / Go Ahead / Stagecoach all give change in large cities like Manchester / Leeds / Bradford / Newcastle / Leicester and they seem to manage perfectly fine.

It is very rare for drivers to pocket their money. Also they may ask for extra pay but other change giving operators drivers seem to manage perfectly fine

Yes it does seem like smartcards / contactless bank cards are becoming more popular nowadays. But it is good to hear that NXWM probably wont be getting rid of cash.

Also it seems strange that Claribels and Hansons operate an exact fare policy as from what i have seen they operate less routes than NXWM and their services are generally less busy.

Yes but have you ever thought that it might be companies like Arriva, Stagecoach etc that actually should use an exact fare policy. I remember in the mid 1970s when Autofare as it was then known was introduced. Yes to start with, there were a few moans, but after that people just accepted it. When a service was to be changed over, WMPTE issued a leaflet which included a faretable so people knew what fare they needed to pay. Would people wait for a Diamond bus and let an NE one pass just because Diamond give change, I doubt it.

As for Hansons and Claribels, you would be surprised as to how many passengers they do carry and presumably they operate exact fare policies because of the extra security that fareboxes offer.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Thanks. Yes unfortunetly i agree that NXWM are probably unlikely to remove their fareboxes and start giving change. Although it would be quite possible and reasonable for them to start giving change. For example Arriva / First / Go Ahead / Stagecoach all give change in large cities like Manchester / Leeds / Bradford / Newcastle / Leicester and they seem to manage perfectly fine.

It is very rare for drivers to pocket their money. Also they may ask for extra pay but other change giving operators drivers seem to manage perfectly fine

Yes it does seem like smartcards / contactless bank cards are becoming more popular nowadays. But it is good to hear that NXWM probably wont be getting rid of cash.

Also it seems strange that Claribels and Hansons operate an exact fare policy as from what i have seen they operate less routes than NXWM and their services are generally less busy.

I think your flogging a dead horse with any chance of NXWM ever giving change, even more so smart cards. You'd also have to consider the costs of modifying 1540 assault screens & adding cash trays etc to the inside of cab doors.

It's not that rare for drivers to pocket money, but I suspect it's more confined to small operators without internal CCTV. For NXWM it would be much harder, but still impossible

Cash fares are still useful to some types of passengers, some people still prefer cash, it's just the national trend is heading for electronic payment systems, plus it safer than carrying large amounts of loose cash. As for Claribels & Hanson's it reducing risk of any driver theft & reduces risk of a driver being attacked & robbed.

Bob

Rumoured that Nxwm have some expansion plans for the Staffordshire area too

winston

Quote from: Bob on October 17, 2015, 11:38:43 PM
Rumoured that Nxwm have some expansion plans for the Staffordshire area too

Any hint as to where & what?

Tony

Do you live in a parallel universe?

It is 'rare for drivers to pocket money'

I think you will find an awful lot drivers 'pay for a cup of tea' out of takings. In fact when Chase Bus services was running the owner let it be known to his drivers that it was OK to pay for lunch, but anyone 'taking the piss' would be out the door

NX wouldn't suffer vandalism if people could get into garages

They have done!

Garages are safe places

No they are not, it is the reason staff have to follow strict rules to avoid injury or possible death and visitors are told what they can and cannot do.

Not giving change is poor customer service

NX's customer service rating is amongst the best and rising according to the last independent survey so not a thing very many users worry about

BU07 LGO

Well I had someone pay a tenner for a single ticket even after I put hand over vault first and warned him we don't give change! His reply was "oh well it'll have to do!" I gave him a Daysaver instead but couldn't believe it!

Tony

Quote from: BU07 LGO on October 18, 2015, 09:53:27 AM
Well I had someone pay a tenner for a single ticket even after I put hand over vault first and warned him we don't give change! His reply was "oh well it'll have to do!" I gave him a Daysaver instead but couldn't believe it!

But you still did the good customer service, by initially stopping him and advising him.

winston

Ludlow's of Halesowen in their Leyland National/step entrance Dart era used to suffer from people breaking in to the depot at night/weekends when know one was around & draining diesel from the tanks.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on October 18, 2015, 11:02:50 AM
Ludlow's of Halesowen in their Leyland National/step entrance Dart era used to suffer from people breaking in to the depot at night/weekends when know one was around & draining diesel from the tanks.

They should have left the Dog there overnight, it used to scare the sh!t out of me!

As for people alleging that all Drivers are honest when there's no vault fitted, all I can say is it's amazing the number of trips I've made where the wayfarer data hasn't tallied with the number of coins handed over....

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on October 18, 2015, 02:40:41 PM
They should have left the Dog there overnight, it used to scare the sh!t out of me!

As for people alleging that all Drivers are honest when there's no vault fitted, all I can say is it's amazing the number of trips I've made where the wayfarer data hasn't tallied with the number of coins handed over....

I remember Ludlows ended up having to add padlocked flaps over each fuel filler & installed palasade security fencing & gates all around the perimeter, the idea of investing in a couple of rottweiler that have a taste for human flesh is bar the best option though...  ;)

For anyone dealing with cash, it is always a temption to to boost your earnings by being creative with the wayfarer, even me some if they feel that they are not paid enough for the job they do. 

Solo1

Quote from: Winston on October 18, 2015, 11:02:50 AM
could always of fuelled them in the morning that  would of stopped them I know its a rush to get all buses out in service in the morning but its a way of stopping them I know Ludlow's are no more part of diamond now

Bob

It's only rumour at the moment about Staffordshire.  And from Arriva Cannock drivers mainly.

winston

Quote from: Bob on October 18, 2015, 10:47:27 PM
It's only rumour at the moment about Staffordshire.  And from Arriva Cannock drivers mainly.

Rumours can sometimes have some ellement of truth, I guess we'll have to wait & see what if anything occurs....

Bob

Three Cannock drivers have said that Arriva have no interest in Cannock Stafford garages and they could go and possibly Wednesfield.  While an X51 driver has said he'd heard nx were planning several staffs routes.  Another source has told me they possibly have a whole network of services planned for Staffordshire

Bob

Case of wait and see.  Can't see anything happening this side of Christmas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk