News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

X87

Started by Dylan4579, July 11, 2015, 06:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan4579

Would it be viable to have an X87 skipping cape hill out using the A457 and rejoin the normal route at galton bridge?

Stuharris 6360

Yes but you would be probably missing out the busiest part of the route!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

monkeyjoe

979 now 80 kinda died of death

Stu

It's possible it MAY be viable as a peak-time service, as already stated it would miss out a busy section of route, and you'd have to educate people that it doesn't go to Cape Hill or Smethwick, which is where a lot of people use it, but could be touted as a faster route to Oldbury town centre (to and from Birmingham, it wouldn't be any quicker to and from Dudley).
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Dylan4579

Is there anyway it could be quicker from oldbury to Dudley?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Dylan4579 on July 14, 2015, 06:55:01 AM

Not really as the 87 already takes the quickest route.

I honestly think that the roads these days are to busy for X limited stop routes, the only exception that appears to work is the X51.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

BK63 YWP

I think an X9 would work, skipping manor lane and quinton. Going up the Hagley road instead but then would it be skipping the busiest part of the route
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

karl724223

Quote from: Chris on July 16, 2015, 04:21:39 AM
I think an X9 would work, skipping manor lane and quinton. Going up the Hagley road instead but then would it be skipping the busiest part of the route
passengers are glad you don't plan bus routes

OH25

I think it could work!
It could be non-stop from Birmingham to Summerfield Park (1st stop) and then head down the Dudley Road and skip out Cape Hill like previously suggested using Grove Lane and Soho Way and have its next stop by Smethwick Galton Bridge Station.
(You can miss out Cape Hill as the passengers for it can use the 82/3/7/9 to get there)
Then from there non-stop to Oldbury.

To answer this question, some weeks ago I was on the 87 and got stuck in some traffic on the Dudley Road in Oldbury but as soon as we got to the roundabout by Brades Road/Dudley Rd East there was less traffic. So an idea could be to let this route go from Oldbury down towards Sandwell & Dudley Station and use Fountain Lane and Roway Lane to get to Dudley Road East. Then stay on the A457 on the Tipton Road to Dudley Port and then up to Burnt Tree that way (current 74 route) because the traffic lights by Burnt Tree for the current route change ridiculously quick.

Ashley 60171

The train? Or the 120/128? The latter says 38 mins from Oldbury to Broad Street anyway. Mind you when I trained for my apprenticeship at City Hospital last year I got the 89 purely for the peace from Oldbury even though it took longer.

Stu

You can't get a train to Dudley, as Dudley doesn't have a train station ;)

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Stu on July 18, 2015, 09:30:17 AM

I misread it. I thought it said Birmingham...

tc

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 15, 2015, 10:33:19 PM
Not really as the 87 already takes the quickest route.

I honestly think that the roads these days are to busy for X limited stop routes, the only exception that appears to work is the X51.

There are plenty of successful ones around the UK!

Leeds: 36, 840, 843, 845, X6, X62, X84, X98, X99 + Peak Only Services
Derby: Spondon Flyer, Zoom, Red Arrow, X38, Ilkeston Flyer
Nottingham: Rushcliffe Greens, Rapid 1, Red Arrow, Skylink
Bristol: X1, X2, X3, X6, X48, X74 + Peak Only Services
Glasgow: Many!
London: 507 (Red Arrow), 521 (Red Arrow), Green Line, Oxford Tube
Manchester: X5, X34, X40, X41, X43 (The Witch Way), X50, X57 + Peak Only Services
Oxford: S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, S7, X3, X13, X39, X40

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Stu on July 18, 2015, 09:30:17 AM

Dudley Port? Is that classed as dudley
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

the trainbasher

@Chris it's Sandwell that Dudley Port is in, in the Great Bridge area of Dudley Port.

The Dudley and Sandwell boundary is at the Birmingham New Road

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk