News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Northern Rail

Started by BK63 YWP, July 08, 2015, 11:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Thought i would start a thread for Northern as i use them frequently when traveling to Yorkshire and the region. I have noticed they have probably the oldest rail rolling stock in the country. The pacers are the slowest trains i know of. I don't understand how northern have not invested on the Yorkshire betwork they are crying out for more modern trains.
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

The Real 4778

Quote from: Chris on July 08, 2015, 11:42:04 PM
Thought i would start a thread for Northern as i use them frequently when traveling to Yorkshire and the region. I have noticed they have probably the oldest rail rolling stock in the country. The pacers are the slowest trains i know of. I don't understand how northern have not invested on the Yorkshire betwork they are crying out for more modern trains.

Watch the investment come soon though, as Arriva withdraw the Pacers before 1st Jan 2020, and introduce new diesels and electrics across the network.
Don't you start.

BK63 YWP

Quote from: The Real 4778 on January 07, 2016, 05:32:25 PM
Watch the investment come soon though, as Arriva withdraw the Pacers before 1st Jan 2020, and introduce new diesels and electrics across the network.

I feel some franchises i.e. arriva train wales, northern, Merseyrail have very old trains well none built in century. First Great Western or Great Western Railway seem to run with 150s 153s pacers in the west country. I know they are investing in newer trains to replace the HST which maybe cross country could use to ease overcrowding.

To summarise what i have said. Wheres the invest in newer rolling stock in discussed franchises

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: Chris on January 07, 2016, 06:37:17 PM
I feel some franchises i.e. arriva train wales, northern, Merseyrail have very old trains well none built in century. First Great Western or Great Western Railway seem to run with 150s 153s pacers in the west country. I know they are investing in newer trains to replace the HST which maybe cross country could use to ease overcrowding.

To summarise what i have said. Wheres the invest in newer rolling stock in discussed franchises

Wherever the government specifies it in the franchise

BK63 YWP

Quote from: Tony on January 07, 2016, 06:41:02 PM
Wherever the government specifies it in the franchise

I see, but surely the government can see that rail usage is increasing every year and that current rolling stock is becoming too stretched to meet demand

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: Chris on January 07, 2016, 06:55:44 PM
I see, but surely the government can see that rail usage is increasing every year and that current rolling stock is becoming too stretched to meet demand

One carriage costs £2million and takes two years from ordering to arriving.

There are more carriages being built now than at any time in the last 50 years, where do you really think they are going to come from?

BK63 YWP

Wow i didn't realise the cost of a carriage and building times. I see where your coming from.

X10 Gornal Wood

windy miller

I just checked the cost of a single trip from Leeds to Knottingly.a 40 minute  ride when viewed/booked from a northern booking site.. The cost listed by northern is/was £2.30?  (single) on other sites (XC) its listed as £3.50 (single) and the London midland web page is showing a fee of £10....can anyone tell me the true figure as of Today? thanks :-\

prices are with a senior railcard
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Cheese

Quote from: windy miller on January 08, 2016, 05:23:45 AM
I just checked the cost of a single trip from Leeds to Knottingly.a 40 minute  ride when viewed/booked from a northern booking site.. The cost listed by northern is/was £2.30?  (single) on other sites (XC) its listed as £3.50 (single) and the London midland web page is showing a fee of £10....can anyone tell me the true figure as of Today? thanks :-\

prices are with a senior railcard

£2.30 with a Senior Railcard - National Rail also lists this, so does Cross Country.  £3.50 is the fare without a railcard, would suggest it hadn't picked up the railcard on there for some reason.  LM also gives £2.30 with a senior railcard so not sure what happened there.

windy miller

Many thanks cheese much appreciated ..( I will enter details more Caerphilly next time! :))
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk