News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Swift Card reader inside bus stop shelters??

Started by :D, April 24, 2015, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

It must be fairly primative the software they are using for these Swidft cards, in London when you top up your Oyster card via Credit/Debit card online, you don't have to update the card before using it. It's done automatically.

So what happens if you top up your swift card and you don't have one of these update points near to you, do you have to buy a ticket to travel with and then get a refund on it?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Bryan

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on April 25, 2015, 07:11:12 PM
It must be fairly primative the software they are using for these Swidft cards, in London when you top up your Oyster card via Credit/Debit card online, you don't have to update the card before using it. It's done automatically.

I would agree, my thoughts entirely.

Also, in London, you can use a contactless debit/credit card to pay for the journey. The West Midlands area does appear to be lagging behind badly as far as technology goes.

Incidentally, I do have one of the NXWM Swift Daysaver cards, and on about 20% of the buses traveled upon one day in late March, the card reader gave neither a red (fail) or green (ok) signal to the driver despite several slow swipes. On other vehicles it worked fine.

:D

Last time I've had to top up my Oyster Card, I've been told to 'collect' it from any stations or shops with oyster card readers. Centro's solution is actually better in this case. Buses smartcard readers are usually not linked to internet, and even if they did, it'd be too slow. They have to rely on what's in the smartcard. If the smart card's balance is empty, then it'll get rejected. It's necessary to touch in to get the smartcard data updated (or 'put the money in') before using it.

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/link/sso/0001.do

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: :D on April 25, 2015, 08:48:50 PM
Last time I've had to top up my Oyster Card, I've been told to 'collect' it from any stations or shops with oyster card readers. Centro's solution is actually better in this case. Buses smartcard readers are usually not linked to internet, and even if they did, it'd be too slow. They have to rely on what's in the smartcard. If the smart card's balance is empty, then it'll get rejected. It's necessary to touch in to get the smartcard data updated (or 'put the money in') before using it.

https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/link/sso/0001.do

It would be better, but only if you had a reader at every bus stop!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Gareth

When topping up online with an oyster pay as you go, you do have to verify it by touching in, it's not done automatically.

Kevin

I think it makes sense as a concept, the only thing is that we're missing the top up points, but I imagine they will come in due course. Little strange I think that they didn't come first before the online thing, but hey ho
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on April 26, 2015, 01:57:51 AM
When topping up online with an oyster pay as you go, you do have to verify it by touching in, it's not done automatically.

Correct, and the last time I did this, you even had to specify where you would be touching in. That was a few years ago mind, so things may have changed.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Kevin

Ok, just been thinking about this and I'm curious about one particular thing now...
If i buy an NX daysaver on my swift card, but it already has my nBus pass on it as direct debit. Would it automatically use the pass or the daysaver when I use it next? And if I then went out of the nBus area ie on the new NX 54/154 or on the 11/20 in Cov,  where the daysaver is valid, would it work?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on April 26, 2015, 09:31:52 AM
Correct, and the last time I did this, you even had to specify where you would be touching in. That was a few years ago mind, so things may have changed.

You still have to specify. I don't top up online anymore as more often than not, I'll use the 453 into Central London instead of the tube. So I don't like to commit to touching in at Marylebone to collect my top up. In fact my latest trip to London, I just used my bank card. Very convenient.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Gareth on April 26, 2015, 12:36:56 PM
You still have to specify. I don't top up online anymore as more often than not, I'll use the 453 into Central London instead of the tube. So I don't like to commit to touching in at Marylebone to collect my top up. In fact my latest trip to London, I just used my bank card. Very convenient.

There's a newsagents opposite MYB that does Oyster top ups, a newsagents inside London Euston (I think it's still there) and one not far from VCS too, as well as the NR and LUL TVMs (MYB LUL station ticket office can also place Railcards on there too - the ticket office being next to the NR ticket office)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stu

I don't bother topping up online either. When I arrive at Marylebone if I need to top-up my Oyster card, I just use the machines in the station.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Bryan

Given a choice, using my bank card would be my number one option to pay for travel.

Tony

Quote from: John on April 25, 2015, 06:06:46 PM
NX revenue inspectors already have a handheld device that they check swift/staff passes with

Yes I haven't done a revenue check for over a year, but my company phone can scan and check all itso cards through an app written by Parkeon who also do the ticket machine software

JPC

The Swift website now lists the top-up locations...
http://www.swiftcard.org.uk/support.aspx#1259

JoNi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk